Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot VERSUS Helinox Cot Lite

Johnboy

WKR

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My partner and I both have the Therm's for base camp...love them. Comfy and strong. You can't go wrong. Watch ebay for deals. We even take them on car/trailer trips now just to shrink all the gear. Only downside to these vs full size cot is almost no room underneath for stuff.

OP
Johnboy

Johnboy

WKR
go4thegusto, thanks for the feedback. Do you use any insulation between the cot and your sleeping bag?

I have both , one thing I dont like as much about the luxerylite is all the small pieces to put together, I like the helinox a little better due to all the pieces on the legs are bungeed together , much easier to put together. The other thing is that on the luxerylite you have to be real careful when pulling legs back off for tear down that you dont catch and snag the cot fabric where they fasten to the upper cot material

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I have the thermarest and really like it! No input on the other model. Both beat sleeping on the ground hahaaa!

OP
Johnboy

Johnboy

WKR
I have both , one thing I dont like as much about the luxerylite is all the small pieces to put together, I like the helinox a little better due to all the pieces on the legs are bungeed together , much easier to put together. The other thing is that on the luxerylite you have to be real careful when pulling legs back off for tear down that you dont catch and snag the cot fabric where they fasten to the upper cot material

Can you compare the comfort each cot offers? Is one more taught than the other?

r7s

FNG
I have been reviewing the same thing. I found this excerpt from another forum:

The thermarest cot is fiddly (although very comfortable once up).

With the helinox cot, its worth checking out the youtube clips on how to put it up. It is a doddle and really quick to put up. Also because of the mechanism to tension the cot, the fabric is held very taught.

Hope that is helpful.

r7s

I've had a LuxuryLite unit for about 6 or 7 years now. The fabric is getting a bit rough and looks in need of replacement. Before I do anything I'm going to buy a Helinox cot and try it out. The LL is just a pita to put together with all the various elliptical feet and sectional bows. The Helinox looks like a very simple and strong rig. I have a Helinox chair and their engineering is superb.

gwl79902

WKR
If you are not packing it save a 150 dollars and get an alps cot. It is about 50 dollars. I just got one and it is a great cot. I would not pack with it but for car acmpground stuff it is great.

Noco

FNG
I have both cots. I have slept on the thermarest and am writing this on the helinox. I just received the helinox just today. I am 6' and 215 and the helinox feel better to me. It defiantly carries the weight better. I always felt like I needed to be more careful getting in and out of the Thermarest. Though I have not slept yet in it I am so far sold on it.

Ps found the Helinox for 199 delivered

Last edited:
Thermarests are in the REI garage right now free shipping plus 20% off of one item, I picked up the Large last week. I'm 6' and 220lbs. Using the "recommended setup" I didn't bottom out, and had TONS of extra room.

You can leg extensions for the helinox to make it taller so you could sit on it like a chair. Thermarest you can't. I own and use the shit out of my thermarest, once it breaks I'll probably get a helinox.

Not sure if you guys know the LuxuryLite (by Therm-a-Rest) has gone through a redesign. They have changed the cot feet to a crescent shape (vs the previous oval shape) and I can see obvious cosmetic changes. I'm not sure if there have been other changes r/t the aluminum or cot surface. The price drop on the current (outgoing) cots is no doubt a closeout sale.

I have a thermarest luxury light, went with that one because it's wider than the Helinox, and I believe an oz or two lighter - if I recall. It takes me a few minutes to setup and tear down, nothing I get bent out of shape about. If they are going on sale, it's probably a deal hard to beat.