Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot VERSUS Helinox Cot Lite

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys still use a pad of some sort with it for insulation?

I'd be using it with a quilt so there would be nothing between me and the surface of the cot.

Do you guys still use a pad of some sort with it for insulation?

I'd be using it with a quilt so there would be nothing between me and the surface of the cot.

Yes, put a good insulated pad on top of the cot. I've used and xtherm max the last few nights on my cot and it works great and stays put.

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, put a good insulated pad on top of the cot. I've used and xtherm max the last few nights on my cot and it works great and stays put.

I am trying to wrap my head around 3 extra pounds....thought if some reason I wouldn't need a pad that'll help...but figured there was no way.

I would have been confused by what magical science existed in order to not use a pad. :)

I think I'll give it a go, come May when REI has the next 20% off member coupon. I am going to go with the Helinox UL.

Hall256

WKR
I am trying to wrap my head around 3 extra pounds....thought if some reason I wouldn't need a pad that'll help...but figured there was no way.

I would have been confused by what magical science existed in order to not use a pad. :)

This is where I am at with the decision...I wouldnt mind the weight penalty of a few extra pounds to have a light weight cot, but adding three pounds and still having to use a pad doesnt seem worth it. For those that have used it with the pad, was the pad for comfort or heat retention? I might be off on the science, but I thought the pads were (in addition to comfort) because the ground will pull heat from you...if you are off the ground on a cot, wouldnt that negate the effects of the cold ground?

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
This is where I am at with the decision...I wouldnt mind the weight penalty of a few extra pounds to have a light weight cot, but adding three pounds and still having to use a pad doesnt seem worth it. For those that have used it with the pad, was the pad for comfort or heat retention? I might be off on the science, but I thought the pads were (in addition to comfort) because the ground will pull heat from you...if you are off the ground on a cot, wouldnt that negate the effects of the cold ground?

In my head, I see it the same as guys and girls that use hammocks. They sell and people use under quilts for a reason.

Airflow beneath you would allow heat to escape. Be drawn away from the body, like the ground does. Although not as bad as the ground, I am guessing.

The hammock example would be more extreme, as they'd experience far more air movement due to wind than you would inside a tent or tipi.

I think the way to look at it would be sleeping on a pad without anything on top of your body. You are essentially insulating one part of your body while exposing one-half of your body with no insulation to the ambient air temperature inside your shelter.

See? I guess I already knew the answer when I asked the question in my earlier post. I was just hoping there was some type of unicorn that made the cot magical!

I don't use a pad with mine, regardless of the weather conditions. I've used it in -10 on snow and had no issues. I do layer for bed though which doesn't require me to bring extra goods and keeps the pack light. I have a homemade "blanket" my wife made me from a USGI woobie, which she sewed a fleece blanket to. I wrap myself in it with the required layers in my bivy and I've been fine.

Thermarests are in the REI garage right now free shipping plus 20% off of one item, I picked up the Large last week. I'm 6' and 220lbs. Using the "recommended setup" I didn't bottom out, and had TONS of extra room.

are you packing in or is this for car camping. I need the long wide and theres a big weight difference between the two

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a Luxury lite large from REI for 140$ after the coupon. Used it under my trap last weekend camping with some pwople. Had a light topquilt and a Thermorest zlitepad abd was good into the high 20s low 30s.

To me the luxury lite is much less prone to mechanical failure.
Plus it is made or assembled in USA 🇺🇸 where the Helinox is foreign.
The large packs ****ing small as hell. Probably will buy another for my girl. I would get the large. It is not that mich heavier. You could always cut 6 inches off if you were a gram weini

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
In my head, I see it the same as guys and girls that use hammocks. They sell and people use under quilts for a reason.

Airflow beneath you would allow heat to escape. Be drawn away from the body, like the ground does. Although not as bad as the ground, I am guessing.

The hammock example would be more extreme, as they'd experience far more air movement due to wind than you would inside a tent or tipi.

I think the way to look at it would be sleeping on a pad without anything on top of your body. You are essentially insulating one part of your body while exposing one-half of your body with no insulation to the ambient air temperature inside your shelter.

See? I guess I already knew the answer when I asked the question in my earlier post. I was just hoping there was some type of unicorn that made the cot magical!
I plan on sewing a 3-5oz apex "underquilt" or just a different fabric part all together that is insulated for real cold. I think between a Apex 5oz insulated body and my zlite I could get in the -10/-20'f range easy.
I also have hammocks but stop being comfotable under -10 so am doib the hottent and cot thing for real cold.

Boreal

WKR
I plan on sewing a 3-5oz apex "underquilt" or just a different fabric part all together that is insulated for real cold. I think between a Apex 5oz insulated body and my zlite I could get in the -10/-20'f range easy.
I also have hammocks but stop being comfotable under -10 so am doib the hottent and cot thing for real cold.

I thought about doing exactly the same thing, but realized that the weight would be the same as a good quality pad, and if anything happened to the cot the pad would be more useful than an underquilt on the ground. So my thermarest insulated ultralight goes with me. I find the ultralight pad barely tolerable on the ground, but the catz meow on the cot. And after lots of stupid stuff in my 20s that resulted in my first back surgery at 37, the cot is a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about doing exactly the same thing, but realized that the weight would be the same as a good quality pad, and if anything happened to the cot the pad would be more useful than an underquilt on the ground. So my thermarest insulated ultralight goes with me. I find the ultralight pad barely tolerable on the ground, but the catz meow on the cot. And after lots of stupid stuff in my 20s that resulted in my first back surgery at 37, the cot is a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A 5 oz UQ for that say 72/24 maybe even tapered would weight like 8-12oz. I would be more worried about the pad. A problem I have found with air pads in general is at a certain temp the R value is over come by air inside the pad. For instance my Big Ages 15'f rated pad in a hammock with no insulation from the ground kinda of like the cot is definetly not 15'f capable. On direct snow forget it. I would rather have 2 zlite pads.
The reason a UQ works good is its all insulation. There is not more air volume which makes it harder to heat. The room under the cot would allow for super good loft.