What sleeping pad you using

Luked

WKR
In the hunt for a sleeping pad. What one do you all use. Wanting something fairly light and a good R value
The one I keep looking at is the Big Agnes Q core SL

I have both a Q core and Exped Down. The Q core is a great pad in the vast majority of situations.

charvey9

WKR
Therma Rest NeoAir X-lite. Don't belive the reviews you read about it being too noisy. Although it is true when the pad is new (kinda sounds like rolling up a potato chip bag), it breaks in pretty quick and that goes away. One of the lightest pads available, and great weight to warmth ratio.

bates

WKR
I prefer the BA q core sl over the x-lite

Another slightly heavier but comfy option is the exped winter lite with a higher r value

I used a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad last season. This year I'll be using an Xtherm. Lighter weight and much higher R value. Last few nights (temp in low 20's) it's been great to sleep on.

duchntr

WKR
I use a Q core sl and an x-lite pad and I agree with charvey completely. I like the x-lite pad more then the BA pad fwiw, both have awesome warranties and CS too.

rayporter

WKR
i ran a backpacker air mattress for 10 years and when it gave out i got a big agnes air core and used it for 12 years. now i have used a neo air, trekker [ or at least an early model] for 4 years.

the ol bones still need an extra pad like a themarest one inch ultra light added to any of the above. i also have a 4 ft piece of quarter inch closed cell foam for a butt pad or kneeling on to cook that can be added for more insulation.

there were many cold nights involved in learning to camp on snow in the hi country.

bbrown

WKR
I have ran the BA insulated air core and Q-core SL. Hated the vertical baffles on the IAC but the quilted pattern of the Q-Core SL was much more comfortable. However the Q-Core SL must be measured while deflated because once its inflated its WAY TOO narrow.

Switched to the X-Therm large and couldn't ask for anything better. Plenty wide to lay on your back without your arms laying off the sides, horizontal baffles are comfortable and high R-value yet only weighs 20 oz. Not cheap but wait for REI's annual sale and pick one up for 20% off plus any dividends you have built up. Heard lots of complaints about noise but it really hasn't been an issue.

Another reason I went with the X-therm over the X-lite is because it has thicker material on the bottom (70d vs 30d) so hopefully it will be more resistant to any punctures.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I'm giving the REI Flash a go right now. Only have a few nights on it thus far and I like. Cannot comment on durability at this point.

gmajor

WKR
Switched to the X-Therm large and couldn't ask for anything better. Plenty wide to lay on your back without your arms laying off the sides, horizontal baffles are comfortable and high R-value yet only weighs 20 oz. Not cheap but wait for REI's annual sale and pick one up for 20% off plus any dividends you have built up. Heard lots of complaints about noise but it really hasn't been an issue.

Another reason I went with the X-therm over the X-lite is because it has thicker material on the bottom (70d vs 30d) so hopefully it will be more resistant to any punctures.

I'll be picking up an xtherm during the annual sale. Are you using the mummy shape or the rectangular?

bbrown

WKR
Mummy shaped - fits great in my TiGoat Raven bivy but would be tight in the kestrel or ptarmigan bivys.

gmajor

WKR
Mummy shaped - fits great in my TiGoat Raven bivy but would be tight in the kestrel or ptarmigan bivys.

Thanks. I think I'll go with a regular size mummy (I'm 5'8" so a large seems completely unnecessary haha).

bbrown

WKR
I'm only 5'10" and 185 but the large is WELL worth the extra weight. I sleep so much better not trying to balance on a smaller pad.

The Xtherm is about the lightest weight pad with a high R factor. They are noisier than other pads but not too bad. The Exped UL Synmat 7 is another great lightweight alternative. The R rating is a little lower, but it is still plenty warm and not as loud. The Xped Downmat 7 or 9 are also good, but you start gaining weight, especially if they have the built-in pump. If you are counting ounces, it is hard to bear the Xtherm.

These are some of the weights I have measured in pounds-ounces from lightest to heaviest:

Exped synmat 7ul M 20x72 0-13
Thermarest xtherm M 20x72 0-15
Expedite downmat 7 UL M 1-4
Thermarest xtherm L 25x77 1-4
Exped downmat 9 M pump 2-4

tttoadman

WKR
In nice weather I have the little Inertia O Zone for going light. The noise is minimal because it is thin and the built in pillow is perfect support for me. I just bought a new prolite plus before they are completely discontinued for late season. I can't stand the noise of any of the bigger inflatables. It is heavy and old and tough and I will love it long time.