Are you thinking about taking the plunge to the quilt life? This thread may

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey roksliders,
Are you scared to jump in the quilt world and leave your trusty sleeping bag behind? I know I am (or was). While very similar, a quilt and a traditional sleeping bag enough difference in them to make a guy love one and curse the other. It's not for everyone which is why I've been reviewing the Enlightened Equipment's "convert" quilts. I have a 10 degree, and a -10 degree and phase 1 of the review is complete.

I will be heading into the high sierras really soon to really compare the two as well as the "quilt approach" in cold climates . It's a fitting name for the quilt because it is designed for guys that are unsure if they want to drop hard earned money on a philosophy they haven't tried. You get a quilt that can be "converted" into a quality sleeping bag. It may or may not "convert" you into a quilt guy or gal.

3-31-16 Update. Editor Robby here. Travis' Review on the Convert in two different temperature ratings is done. I think this article will give anyone a good feel for what these Enlightened Equipment quilts can do and how they operate.

Enlightened Equipment's Convert Quilt Review
c4b0b57ae79c5d995d3a0dc79ee39f28.jpg
4296c973b791ea433ee21cdb47965245.jpg

The 10 degree next to the wife's marmot 0 degree on a recent trip
64c6ea4fe2550aaac289a5ee4adcc8f4.jpg

Made in 'murica

Last edited by a moderator:

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be following this thread. I'm thinking of jumping over to the quilt side but I'm still unsure. I am going to be climbing Mount Rainer at the end of July and want to lighten my pack so I'm looking at these. But I don't know if this is something you use mountaineering on a glacier. I was looking at the Revelation from EE in 10 degree. I'll be looking forward to your high mountain experience with the quilt.

huntnfolk

FNG
Looking forward to this review. I've been eyeing these for awhile wondering if I should jump full in for the revelation or dip my toes and go with a convert. Please include which size quilt you have and how it fits compared to your physical size. thanks.

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious on how well the compress. Anyone have any pictures of their quilts compressed in a stuff sack with something next to it for a size reference?

SWVA_Tim

WKR
I bought a hammock gear quilt (Burrow 20 with 1 oz of overstuff) last year and have enjoyed it very much. I'll try to post a picture of it this evening. In my mind it compresses very small.

I've used my quilt for the last two years, most recently on a winter camping trip in Colorado. Night one was 0* and night two was 4*. My quilt is rated to 20* but with a set of base layers on I slept just fine. I started out carrying mine in a Kifaru mega pullout, but have recently switched to the Kifaru compression sack.

sr80

WKR
Im in the market for a new sleeping bag, was going to buy a WM, but a couple guys have told me to get a quilt. I am not sold on the idea as of yet, I just cant see how they would be warm enough. Ill be paying attention to this thread, in the mean time, you quilt users, tell me why I should consider a quilt.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excited to read your review Travis, and hear your thoughts!

I was super skeptical about quilts initially, thinking they would be drafty and that there was no way I could ever sleep comfortably in one. I have been super impressed with how much warmer a quilt is, at least for me. The foot box and ability to cinch up the sides underneath you prevent drafts, and also help eliminate dead space which means less airspace to warm with my body. Most of the time Luke and I run the EE Accomplice Double Quilt in Downtek 10*, but I have also spent a number of comfortable nights in EE single quilts. I have found I don't like the feeling of my sleeping pad directly on my skin, so I most often sleep in a baselayer.

Still own and use both synthetic and down traditional style bags on trips where weight isn't a factor, or early/late season coastal fly outs with a high potential for wet weather but that's just because it's good to have options. If I had to have only one sort of bag for every occasion, a quilt would likely be it.

I'll be following this thread. I'm thinking of jumping over to the quilt side but I'm still unsure. I am going to be climbing Mount Rainer at the end of July and want to lighten my pack so I'm looking at these. But I don't know if this is something you use mountaineering on a glacier. I was looking at the Revelation from EE in 10 degree. I'll be looking forward to your high mountain experience with the quilt.

I've used my revX 10 degree on rainier in July. Worked great in a tent.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at them for a while as I am broad shouldered and a side sleeper. Most of the time I never zip up my bag anyway so I was thinking a quilt would be the ticket. I have no problems with my skin touching the air mattress as it is doing it all the time in my sleeping bag anyway. I have yet to try one out though.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I never could stand getting tangled up in a mummy bag so I got the hammock gear burrow 20 and am more than impressed with its warmth and weight!

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm excited for phase 2. The quilt compresses well ndflatlander. I'll try and get a pic

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am curious on how well the compress. Anyone have any pictures of their quilts compressed in a stuff sack with something next to it for a size reference?
I don't have a picture but I can get my 10° Rev pretty small. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This isn't my EE quilt, but you get the idea.

Xtherm, 30*quilt, Cuben tarp, and Bivy, all in a Kifaru medium 5 string.

IMG_0719_zps11acc36e.jpg

IMG_0720_zpsb9b20ef0.jpg

And yes, they work just fine in the cold and snow. October deer hunt in the Cascades.

20131012_105441_zps936950f1.jpg

Have had a Revelation ordered for quite a while now and should be here any day. Can't wait to try it out. Wish it would get here to try out before our cold weather leaves us!