Sleeping pad shape?

I've always used just a rectangular pad. Like 20x72.
Thinking of one of the tapered pads that are narrower in the foot.
Has anyone who's done the same regretted it and wished their pad was the full width for the entire length?
Thanks.

Personally, I like a full width pad.
Mainly be cause I'm a side sleeper and am always jutting out a knee to the left or right.

But you can use a shorter pad, anything below the knees doesn't need to be on a pad... unless you need it for quilt or R-value reasons.
Hunt'nFish

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
Rectangle all the way.. Worth extra half an ounce of weight..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruskin

WKR
I went mummy. Shape doesn't bother me, but wish I went 25 and not 20 wide. I use it inside a bivy, so mummy shape helps in that situation.

Left a long wide BA insulated air core for an Xtherm long wide mummy and couldn't be happier. Has the shoulder width I want/need and tapers nicely to save weight and space. Haven't found I miss the rectangle shape yet.

molon labe

Ben

WKR
I like mummy too. Normally a side sleeper but toss and turn all night with issues. I also am in a bivy most of the time. The BA Q core has raised sides to keep you from falling off.

OP
M
Hmm. Good thoughts here. I'm a side sleeping usually too.
I'm tempted to try the lightweight tapered Exped. I would use it for lightweight trips and my wife would use it when we're together.

Muttly

WKR
Bringing this back from the depths..
Looking at rounding up an Exped UL LW, should be right around 22 oz or so, in my quest to drop some weight, stick with the same brand and pad thickness that I find pretty comfy.
Started looking at the HL, mummy shape version, looks to be right around a lb..
Like to fall asleep on my back, then switch to sleeping on my side. Big feet, the taper to 15" is a concern..
Those that have gone to the mummy pad, still like it?

I sleep on my side and usually make a pillow of my clothes / stuff sack / pack hip belt so I find I need the width in the shoulders most. I sometimes draw my knees u and they can touch the ground in the wrong position.

I have a rectangular Neoair and a mummy xtherm. I couldn’t say I notice a lot of difference in comfort or that the mummy saves weight.

I am getting intrigued by the klymit offerings with “rails” on the side.

Still happy with my mummy shaped 25” wide Xtherm pad. Won’t be changing any time soon.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both sizes in the Xtherm and switch them around as I go back and forth between quilt and a sleeping bag. I tend to prefer the rectangular in the quilt and the mummy shape using a sleeping bag.

Yes. I love my exped synmat hyperlite, but doing it over again, I would get the same one in a wide rectangular shape. I am not large, but I move around too much to stay on the pad like I should. I am going to get the exped winter pad, and it will be wide rectangle.
I've always used just a rectangular pad. Like 20x72.
Thinking of one of the tapered pads that are narrower in the foot.
Has anyone who's done the same regretted it and wished their pad was the full width for the entire length?
Thanks.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Having used both the HL and UL shapes from EXPED, personally I prefer going with the UL (rectangle) shape. I like the full width all the way through while I toss around from side, to stomach, to back at night.