The switch to a Hilleberg Akto

chmusar

FNG
I love my Akto, but the Niak does appear to be a very good choice when 4 season protection isn't needed, which for me is most of the time. I will be looking for a good deal on a Niak or sure.
You want be dissapointed , make sure you get the footprint which can be left on if needed

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Well the guy selling the Unna was a flake so I have an Akto and footprint on the way. Does anyone here run the carbon pole from Fibraplex in their Akto? I can't leave things alone and plan on chopping weight where I can (zipper pulls, guy lines, pole/s).

sneaky

"DADDY"
From what I've read it takes forever to get a pole from fibraplex. Cuts weight, yes, but carbon is either perfect or sticking through your shelter. Not worth the trade off to me.

Jimbo V

WKR
cbe084de4266d219bd858836eef6716d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo V

WKR
That's with the pole sack and the repair piece

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Awesome, thanks Jimbo. I am trying figuring out if building a pole using Easton FX sections would be worth a try. I figure it would be about 4 oz. for the pole which is 1 oz heavier than Fibraplex but appears to have a stronger insert section than the Firbaplex poles.

deadwolf

WKR
Without looking at em the website right now, I'm wondering if the Akto pole is a 10mm and the Enan a 9mm? That could save you some weight right there. Or you coulda just bought an Enan : )

Edit, just saw they are both 9mm poles

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
The Akto can go from 4 to 3 season the Enan maybe not as well so thats why I went with the Akto. I just like to play with my gear so I figured since I am going from the Fly Creek to the Akto I wouldn't mind cutting a little bit from the Akto.

deadwolf

WKR
Zpacks sent me the wrong line twice in a row. Just received some line from Lawson, the glowire, and it looks awesome. 2mm

sneaky

"DADDY"
I used Kelty triptease line on my Soulo. Ditch the line locks and use a taut-line hitch and save more weight.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Sweet, Ill check that out as well as touch up on my knot tying. I know a ton of fishing knots but not too hip with other so I'll have to learn myself a few.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
If anyone was curious switching the standard 3mm guy lines with locks and all 22 of the zipper tabs (wind chimes) with 1.5mm cord and using a hitch knots saved about 2.61 oz.

Last edited:
I am trying out an akto on a fire the past 11 days. I've had really bad condensation? I've been trying to vent but the condensation is pretty rough?

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Are you running the inner liner or just the rain fly? I haven't even had time to field mine outside of the backyard yet. I am hoping I don't get any unwanted surprises when I get to use it.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I sold mine after one weekend with it during hunting season. Condensation was ridiculous to say the least. I tried everything too. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Honestly, the Tarptent Notch is better and damn close to the same thing if you want a tent like that. The side walls are higher so the fabric isn't as close to your face and the ventilation is way better with the 3 season insert. You can also swap with a 4 season insert as well. Condensation was better too.

deadwolf

WKR
When I was trying to decide between the Akto and Enan I called Hilleberg directly and was steered towards the Enan. Lighter, and haven't had any condensation issues at all after one weekend in it.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
I guess I will have a review good or bad here pretty quick. I should have some considerable time in it this year from the first week of elk season through October.