Stake Loop Tension Extension

Frosty82

WKR
Thanks to you guys I hooked up my Sawtooth this morning.

Oh Luke, you have way more than 12-18" of cordage in your pics....probably closer to 6-8 feet worth! I have 18" in my pic below. I will test it out in a couple weeks and decide if I want to go longer or not.

View attachment 39102

Not so much that but why use a tensioner that requires you to have to gather up all your guy lines and tie them together when there are much better and even lighter options out there. And even then they still get somewhat tangled up. Of course if you don't actually use your shelters that often it isn't much of an issue I realize.

Smartass comments aside, when you hang in a hammock with a tarp there are multiple configurations that require more length options. Might not want the tarp staked don't with steep angles, may want to be more of a sunshade so you can see out or even at an a reverse angle that allows it to funnel a breeze towards you. Just common sense based on field experience in a hammock.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What does that have to do with certain type of tensioners? And what was my smart ass comment?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks to you guys I hooked up my Sawtooth this morning.

Oh Luke, you have way more than 12-18" of cordage in your pics....probably closer to 6-8 feet worth! I have 18" in my pic below. I will test it out in a couple weeks and decide if I want to go longer or not.

View attachment 39102

On the mid points in the pics I have much more than 12-18. The guy lines along the bottom edge of the shelter are roughly 12-18" in the pics I posted above. Certainly no where close to 6-8' on each guy line along the bottom edge. Which pic leaves you to believe that is the case?

Frosty82

WKR
My lame attempt at being funny/smart-alack based on your picture versus mine and how much more cordage you have in your pictures. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the pics above, they really helped!

colonel00

WKR
Since I happened to have mine out, my stake points have 20" of line after the loop for the stake is tied and my guyout lines are a little over 7'. On the guylines I used the glow in the dark adjusters like below. No real reason except that's what I had on hand when I setup the Cimarron originally.

GITD-Line-Lock-1-3.jpg

thanks for all the help fellas. I'm going to go hardwareless on my sawtooth. I'm going to use 1.8mm cordage tied like a prusik cord so itll be a closed loop around the tab from the sawtooth. the double barrel fishermans knot will allow the tensioning and adjustments.

Shawn

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My lame attempt at being funny/smart-alack based on your picture versus mine and how much more cordage you have in your pictures. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the pics above, they really helped!

Yeah after last year when those pics are taken I have cut down most the lower edge guy lines early this year to 12" or less. Just no need to go much longer on those.

mrgreen

WKR
I just took a week-long camping trip as a Leader for my son's Boy Scout troop. I might start a new thread since I used my Tut and Bear Paw nest all week, which started with three days of nearly steady rain.

But keeping on topic, I raised my Tut about 4 inches and found a new trick (new to me anyway). When I had a chance during a break in the rain I propped the stove jack open and ran my MSR Windburner (sans pot) for about 20 minutes with the door zipped tight but a 4 inch gap around the bottom.

Heating up the tent seemed to remove the condensation making it much more comfortable until the weather improved and I could open it up to air out.

IMG_0046-M.jpg

IMG_0062-L.jpg

I used a different type of Lineloc with a webbing loop, since I had them on hand. They were helpful and easy to attach, but I'm switching to the type shown by Luke and a couple other guys. Mine extend the stake loops too long for my liking.

IMG_0063-L.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Looks good Mr. Green!!! How do you feel the 4" makes the shelter feel as far as roomier or too breezy or what? Some people (most that have never tried it) feel it allows for too much breeze. But in reality a bit of breeze is your friend for condensation and a honking wind you can still stake it tight to the ground.

mrgreen

WKR
Thanks Luke. It was more roomy for sure, which helped a lot while the inner walls were wet. Moving the peak up was the greatest benefit, since that's where the flies and 'skeeters stayed.

I enjoyed the breeze and the view under the wall of the Tut when I was laying down. But, I've spent a fair amount of time sleeping under a flat tarp so I'm used to that.

In my case I think most of my (heavy) condensation was from the downpour prior to setting up camp. Even raised up, it didn't seem like much rain blew under the walls. But the grass and plants inside my tent were soaked and the moisture had no where to go as I had to keep the door zipped tight due to very heavy rain all night.

After the storm passed, it stayed pretty muggy for a few days. That's when the extra ventilation really made a difference.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
e96e22e293a1924ccfe673b9e654d3e8.jpg
8a4780d1764c484aa4fbbb4d28ecd8d4.jpg
Linelocs are definitely the way to go! Available to adjust the height in a snap....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I Moffatized my Cimarron and boy did it do the trick. The bar tensioners I'm using are the simplest ones out there, made by Lawson equipment. 10 of them don't even weigh an ounce. I have also gotten in the habit of sleeping with the top zippers undone about halfway to increase ventilation. One thing you can do is pitch the windward side tight, and leeward side up so that things don't get too chilly.

I find a 4inch rock to prop the trekking pole on. No lashing for this guy haha.

74a29ea2dc51111fb906f3bb4fa4be81.jpg

1c8a98b62e190d9e713e5e4d500773d6.jpg
98a377761289217b89f181c6da197adc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Cimarron and want to have this option as well. Is there any reason I couldn’t do the same thing with a little extra cordage and a trucker’s hitch? I can’t think of a reason this wouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Any knot that tightens on itself would work. I'm horrible with knots so I just use the tensioners. However, for the extra guyout points I had added to my Cimarron, I finally learned (for now) how to tie a tautline hitch. I think that would work just fine for too.

Rokwiia

WKR
Just curious...why use a mechanical tensioner versus a Taut Line Hitch knot?

[video=youtube;eG-xZFUVR-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-xZFUVR-M[/video]

mrgreen

WKR
Just curious...why use a mechanical tensioner versus a Taut Line Hitch knot?

I use mechanical tensioners because if/when the lines tangle while packed I find it easier to disentangle. I used Tautline or Prussic knots for years but I find this simpler and faster. Combining lightweight tensioners with light, small diameter lines reduces or eliminates any weight penalty.

So, short answer; Easier without being heavier.

80dd5daf8addbf8215fd38725e9ed125.jpg

I just used a 30 inch piece of 1.2 mm cord and tied a prussic loop through my tent loop and I don't have to worry about any hardware breaking or any other issues. The prussic loop is completely adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
The trucker’s hitch gives mechanical advantage when you tighten (so you can tighten more) and holds better. Whether the extra oomph is necessary for this application, I don’t know.

The prussic idea is interesting. It seems like that would provide better hold than the taught-line, but still lack mechanical advantage when to get it tighter. However, it offers another advantage in that you don’t have to tie it every time.

Shawn, I assume you aren’t having any problems getting it tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk