Synthetic quilt options (on the shelf only)

Hello folks,

My family has planned an impromptu backpacking trip into the Colorado wilderness in early August. It's me, my wife, her sister, and her sister's husband. I'm really the only one that has any gear between the four of us, and I'm going to outfit everybody. I have two appropriate sleeping bags and one quilt (down). Since I need one more sleep system, I think I'd like to diversify and get a synthetic quilt. I would go with EE Prodigy but they are 8-10 weeks out. So I've been looking at a Kifaru woobie, the Thermarest Apogee, and the ENO Vesta. My thoughts:

Woobie: I like the insulation (same that EE uses) and versatility. It's big compared to the Thermarest (I'm a small dude tho). But it's just a blanket? No options to cinch a footbox, clip to pad, clip to another quilt, etc. Ideally I could clip it to my EE Revelation to make one big blanket and share body heat with my wife. Perhaps there are mods that can be done quickly and cheaply? Unsure on outer Rhinoskin material, is it uncoated? Wonder if it breathes as well as the 20D everyone else is using?

Thermarest Apogee: don't know anything about the eraLoft insulation. Is it private labeled Primaloft? Otherwise seems comparable to Prodigy except clips are different. Could be modified I suppose.

ENO Vesta: uses a well known insulation, Primaloft. Has a footbox, but no other clips. Seems very basic, but acceptable.

What do you guys think? Anything out there I am missing or would sound more comparable to EE Prodigy? Thanks.

There is nothing better than the woobie. I sold my ee revelation for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The exterior is tough yet light. Breathes so well. I live in the PNW and got tired of down losing its warmth due to moisture issues.
The woobie is super versatile. I've even used all the tie out points to make a sort of sun shelter when glassing. I don't miss the footbox because this is so much bigger than my old quilt. I just wrap it around my feet.

OP
Dos Perros
Thanks. Down to what temps have you used it? In floorless shelter? With/without stove? Do you sleep in additional clothing? Assume stocking cap?

I'm a cold sleeper but I would certainly consider sleeping in my clothes if I had to. I'm thinking this would be a nice piece (outside of this trip) to have when I'm concerned about lots of moisture, could wrap up in to glass, or could supplement my down quilt if it was really cold.

30 ish with clothes and light puffy on. Any higher than that I'm just in my baselayers. I use it in my jimmy tarp granite mountain shelter. No stove. I sometimes wear a cap.
If you are going to be in colder weather get the doobie.

x2 on the awesomeness of the Woobie. So versatile I never leave home without it. No clue what the lowest temp it would work but with base layers and a puffy I'm sure 30's easily.

Take a look at Viam Outdoors. I believe they make synthetic quilts and gear with shipping in the 1-2wk range.

molon labe

Markdjr

FNG
Im curious too. I ordered one late last night, woke up to an email from them requesting details for the order. This seems like it could be a good option for you.

Jaguigui

FNG
Testing out a VIAM (6am) quilt sometime next week. It's a 10 degree reg length/wide. It's has apex insulation with a draw string foot box and plastic snaps instead of a zipper or hook and loops. He shipped it out fast. Got it within two weeks I believe

inupiat1

FNG
I'd like a Woobie, but no money for it. I bought a USMC zip-up poncho liner. It has a moisture treatment on one side and I can use it like a sleeping bag or a blanket.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I'd check out arrowhead-equipment.com as well. They make great synthetic quilts at reasonable prices. The owner, Paul, is really good to work with as well.

dotman

WKR
I'd like a Woobie, but no money for it. I bought a USMC zip-up poncho liner. It has a moisture treatment on one side and I can use it like a sleeping bag or a blanket.

They doobie is on sale in the rhino den, just add to your cart to get actual price and it is good to about 20*.

inupiat1

FNG
They doobie is on sale in the rhino den, just add to your cart to get actual price and it is good to about 20*.
Thanks for that, it is still $100 more than what I have. I will just deal with the military surplus weight and bulk for the time being. I can stuff it in a fanny pack or put it in my grab-it. I am not a weight-weenie, but I am getting older! I can't hump around as much as I did in the Marines as easily these days.

I have the Woobie, Doobie Express and 3 different EE quilts. I can't believe anyone would say the Woobie are superior to the quilts...or even comparable in size. But then, my quilts are L-W. I love the EE quilts and Hoodlum...never a shiver. The Woobie and Doobie provide an extra layer for unexpected plunges in temp and I like em for spotting, stationary hunting or just cold camping where fires aren't permitted. Total apples to oranges comparison IMO.

I'm with zero on this one
i made my own blanket (doobie)
have used it a few times down to mid 30's
i had a beanie and puffy jacket on at the start of the night, about 2 hours in i was taking the puffy off, too hot
i made my blanket out of 5oz apex
i made it very large so i can wrap it around myself very easily
55"x100"

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg