Polycro vs Tyvek

I got my Mega Tarp yesterday! Looking at saving a few bucks by not buying a. Bivy to use with it in warm weather. There's flys where I'll be but not worried about mosquitos. Then with the protection of the Mega I'd think a bivy would be over kill right? The bivy/tarp would be if I was using something like a sheep tarp right?
Thinking about buying a piece of tyvek but Google mentioned this polycro stuff. What is it? They say it's even lighter than tyvek. But how tough is it? It's just light plastic sheeting right?

It's way lighter than tyvek. For sleeping on though I think tyvek may be the better option. I'm using polycryo for my de boning sheets this year though.

Trial153

WKR
I like tyvek better, I think it protects my pad a bit more on rough ground. The few times we used polycro we had a hell of the time with wind . The one thing I will say about polycro is it packs way better.

I'm using tyvek. It's a little heavier, but I think it's a little more durable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Use a SOL emergency blanket and forget about it! 5 bucks, super durable, reflects your body heat (or doesn't...see photo) and weighs nothing.

875baea5955317f9a2188fdd591ba4cf.jpg

Yes I'm aware the reflective side is down.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

jwb300

WKR
Use a SOL emergency blanket and forget about it! 5 bucks, super durable, reflects your body heat (or doesn't...see photo) and weighs nothing.

875baea5955317f9a2188fdd591ba4cf.jpg

Yes I'm aware the reflective side is down.

I believe they are actaully a laminated tyvek. Their emergency Bivy certainly is.

No - but i'm sure it would be better than sleeping on the ground in my rain gear as I did after I shot a goat in BC

Haha!
Dang goats! Yeah it was a long cold lonely night, that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TradLife406
I don't think I could handle a bivy without a tarp to move around a little when not sleeping. That would be missurable I'd imagine!

ianpadron

WKR
Is the sol for the 'oh crap' nights or does it do a decent job reflecting heat under/over a ridgerest?
It does just fine honestly! I'm switching to a quilt in a couple weeks and can update you guys.

I use it as my designated ground pad and have no doubt that it's both lighter and more reflective than Tyvek.

I just started using a polycryo ground sheet this year with my Jimmy Tarp. I've got about 7 nights on it so far and it's been pretty great. No holes or wear to speak of. It packs up super small and can be stuffed in the tiniest corner of my pack. If I happen to pitch my shelter over a wetter area it condenses on the underside well but shakes off in the morning. For about $8 at Home Depot it was worth it. I was considering a tyvek cloth but didn't want to order one. I thought maybe I could swing by a construction site and ask for any scrap. May still try it at some point.

ianpadron

WKR
Ianpadron,
Is the SOL puncture resistant like Tyvek?
thanks
It sure is! It almost has a stretch to it if you try and puncture it. I've never put a hole in mine without trying.

(When I'm drying it out in the sun I drive sticks through the corners and that took quite a bit of effort)

My guess is that it's not quite as tough as Tyvek...but it's lighter and reflects heat.

I'll never run anything else as a ground sheet, hope that helps!