Help Selecting a Quilt

+1 for Jacks R Better.
I have the High Sierra Sniveler Long with a 2 oz over stuff.
I'm 6'4" and 240#'s and this is plenty of quilt.
They said that roughly equates to a 0 degree bag.
I have had it in the teens and was plenty warm.
They also have a down hood that adds a lot of heat retention.
Super nice guys and they usually ship everything the next day.

Rokwiia

WKR
The temperature rating of sleeping bags provided by manufacturers are, uh, not always accurate. There are two companies whose ratings you can take to the bank....Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends.

Rokwiia

WKR
When it gets to 40F and below I use my Exped DownMat 9. It is a mattress with down inside it and is really warm. Temperature rated well below zero. Instead of feeling the sensation of coolness below, you feel like you are sleeping on a furnace. It helps immensely.

DownMat XP 9 LW | Exped USA

[video=youtube;LDDFNCO8S1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDDFNCO8S1E[/video]

Why do you need an R value of 6+ for in the 20's? I've used my Xlite with R3.2 in the 20's and been just fine. As with most things, it's all personal and each person has to find what works for them. Remember, the R value is thermal resistance, not heat generation.

My opinion is based on experience. The EXPED UL9 (now called the Winter) provided the best results. If your pad is overkill you can vent your quilt, if it's insufficient you're gonna freeze and stay awake. I know...been there...the latter sucks. But hey, it's just my opinion, do whatcha like. <g>