Help Selecting a Quilt

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
I want to buy a quilt for sept-Nov hunting. I'm somewhat of a cold sleeper. I think I've decided on 10 degrees for my temp rating. My questions are...

If I'm in low 20s to 30s, how true to temps do quilts run? Is 10 degree about right? My pad has an R factor of 4.9

I'm 6'4 240 and want to keep the foot box closed and be able to get it up around my face. I was told you loose length by closing the foot box. What size do you big guys order?

Who has quick turn around time? I leave sept 9th.

What about used, anyone have something they would part with?

rlmmarine

WKR
Ee is who you need to go with but their custom stuff is running four weeks behind give them a call and see what they have on the shelf I ordered the long wide last week

I got a viam outdoors 10 degree. Its awesome! My wife somehow ends up with it every time we go camping. from what Ive seen Id say its pretty close to the right rating. They shipped mine within a week. awesome people to work with.

OP
highside74

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
Tyler from EE just called me back and said he has a long wide 20 degree Revelation ready to ship. 20 degree makes me nervous. It's a lot of money to be wrong. I know everyone is different but will 20 degree be comfortable in the 20s and 30s?

I made my own quilt that was rated for 40 degrees according to what I had read online and I comfortably got down to 42 degrees without wearing a base layer. As long as you don't consider yourself a "cold" sleeper the temperature ratings for their quilts are very close if you wear a base layer. If you worry that you sleep colder than a normal person just bump down another 10 degrees on the rating.

Muttly

WKR
Hard to beat ready to ship for a lead time...
I,m six two, 230,or thereabouts. Didn't think the wide EE (58", I think..) was gonna work, and the lead times were too far out when I was going to order..
Got a couple Flight Jacket quilts from Underground Quilts, been pretty happy with them.
They do custom work, and have a pretty quick turn around. Went with 64" wide, 82" long for myself, 30° quilt. Too early in the season to have an opinion on the temp rating...
Workmanship, customer service, all been great!

Last edited:
I use my 0* EE quilt with Hoodlum 90% of the time. The beauty of quilts is that you can vent em if too warm but you cannot make a quilt or bag warmer. The extra ounce or two is nothing compared to a good night's sleep. Get the Hoodlum too, the thicker one and thank me later.

twall13

WKR
Check with Hammockgear.com. They make a solid quilt and may be able to get it out quicker. Don't let the name full you, their quilts work just as well on the ground.

wyodog

FNG
I just ordered a quilt today from Jacks R Better. Call them up and they talk you through the selection process. Quilts are on the shelf and can easily be delivered by Sept 9th. Good Luck.

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
I just spent 10 days in the Alaskan backcountry freezing my ass off in a EE 10 degree quilt. I tried several different ways to strap it down to my sleeping pad and just couldn't make it work for me. Back to the mummy bag for me.

Tsnider

WKR
I just spent 10 days in the Alaskan backcountry freezing my ass off in a EE 10 degree quilt. I tried several different ways to strap it down to my sleeping pad and just couldn't make it work for me. Back to the mummy bag for me.

How cold was it where you were? I was looking at the EE brand as well. They do offer one now with a zipper, in case the straps arent warm enough.

That sucks. I just spent 5 days in the backcountry with my 10F Revelation and it worked great. I couldn't find the damn top strap before I left so had a few drafts (under a Jimmy Tarp Granite Mountain) but some of the best sleep I've had in the woods. I was using a Thermarest Xlite and lows were probably in the mid-upper 20's at the coldest. One thing I will do next time is sleep in a balaclava in addition to a hat.

yeah so hard to say. Ask anyone with an EE quilt and you'll get different answers. I've used my 20* from the teens through the 50's. Also depends on your shelter. Are there any drafts coming through? Im in a SeekOutside LBO and have the side where my head/upper body is tight to the ground and leaned into the wind/thermals... and lift it off the ground where my feet are so theres some lower ventilation.

This september its been in the 30's and I've just been in my boxers and a merino T (so my skin doesnt stick to my pad), any layers beyond that and I sweat.

Last year in October when there was ice on the ground I slept in my base layer and was warm. I keep it clipped to my pad and bring the clips to the center of the pad so its essentially a sleeping bag.

Im 6'2" and cinch the bottom. I've got a long/wide. Doesnt quite wrap around my head unless I curl up a bit so you may want to go with extra long.

colonel00

WKR
What was the R rating of your pad? You want 6+ for those temps. Mighta been your problem rather than the quilt.

Why do you need an R value of 6+ for in the 20's? I've used my Xlite with R3.2 in the 20's and been just fine. As with most things, it's all personal and each person has to find what works for them. Remember, the R value is thermal resistance, not heat generation.

ljalberta

WKR
Yup, definitely personal preference. I'll use my Xtherm if I'm going by myself, but my wife gets it when she comes along. I've been warm down into the 20s on my 3.4 R value Prolite Plus pad as well.

Rokwiia

WKR
In order to be thermo-neutral at 32F, you need to have a pad with an R-factor of 5.2. You could have a sleeping bag rated to -100F and you will suffer from hypothermia unless you have adequate insulation below you. When manufacturers of sleeping bags provide a temperature rating of 20F it assumes you have a pad (or some other form of insulation) good to 20F as well.

With that said, the OP has a pad with an R-factor of 4.9. He will not stay thermo-neutral at 32F much less 10F.

colonel00

WKR
In order to be thermo-neutral at 32F, you need to have a pad with an R-factor of 5.2. You could have a sleeping bag rated to -100F and you will suffer from hypothermia unless you have adequate insulation below you. When manufacturers of sleeping bags provide a temperature rating of 20F it assumes you have a pad (or some other form of insulation) good to 20F as well.

With that said, the OP has a pad with an R-factor of 4.9. He will not stay thermo-neutral at 32F much less 10F.

Interesting. Where did you get these numbers from? My understanding is the r-value is the resistance to heat loss. So, if you are very warm in your bag/quilt, how can it be definitively said that 4.9 absolutely won't work but 5.2 will at the same ambient temps?

I recently used a Neoair Xlite (r-3.2) with a 10* quilt. I don't know the exact temps but it was snowing out so I can make a reasonable guess that it was at or at least near 32F. I was fine in that setup. Well, until the heavy snow made the walls of the Cimarron bow in and I had a pile of snow on my feet. After fixing the tent, I was fine again and I don't think I had hypothermia.

twall13

WKR
From what I understand, there isn't a really a universally standard way to measure R Value so each manufacturer may do it differently. It would be tough to say that extra .3 R Value really makes that big a difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk