Seek Outside Silvertip

sveltri

WKR
They have s chart on their website that lists the appropriate length stove pipe for each shelter.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got mine and went with a LiteOutdoors 18 inch stove. I am coming from a supertarp and small box stove. That stove was just too small to keep things going as you had to continuously feed it. This new stove is very well thought out and large enough to burn for quite awhile👍
Keys for me on the stove. Large opening to get bigger wood in it, well designed this unit has no wing nuts or little things to worry about losing. I did not get the baffle and got close to two hour burn on first use. I went with six ft pipe over five ft recommended.u

Attachments

• 3BBF56A0-ADB5-4074-B37E-5CCF24E5C43D.jpg
    3BBF56A0-ADB5-4074-B37E-5CCF24E5C43D.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 116
  • FA853C05-3F8C-46B2-9720-E0A219341AA5.jpg
    FA853C05-3F8C-46B2-9720-E0A219341AA5.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 6B660346-B314-4CC0-9662-4766C1CA5D2D.jpg
    6B660346-B314-4CC0-9662-4766C1CA5D2D.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I just got mine and went with a LiteOutdoors 18 inch stove. I am coming from a supertarp and small box stove. That stove was just too small to keep things going as you had to continuously feed it. This new stove is very well thought out and large enough to burn for quite awhile👍
Keys for me on the stove. Large opening to get bigger wood in it, well designed this unit has no wing nuts or little things to worry about losing. I did not get the baffle and got close to two hour burn on first use. I went with six ft pipe over five ft recommended.u
That's interesting Ross, I just got rid of my Super Tarp in favor of a Silvertip as well.

texag10

WKR
Ross: Are you able to have the LO 18"going low enough to not run you out of the tipi?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran it this weekend several times and you can moderate it pretty good. Temps were in the low twenties. From my past experience with a stove too small this enables you too crank it up to yes burn you out, but you can regulate it sufficiently as to keep a
Low burn. The nice thing for the future if I wanted a bigger tarp this stove would handle that nicely.

Ross
It sounds like you have used your Silvertip a bit.What do you think of it?
It's been to cold for me to even seam seal mine and I don't see myself getting out with it for at least 3 months

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Tim, I wanted to check it out so threw it up in a snowstorm this weekend without seam sealing. Did not leak a bit, some condensation prior to cranking up the stove and was quickly dry. Later turned to rain still did not leak. Easy setup will be great for one with stove,, could cram two in if need be which will likely do on spring shed trip. I bought the pole attachment from seek and it did fine but may explore an inexpensive pole extender for my zpoles. I can see a big rack laying beside it in 9 monthss👊The two zippers are handy so you can get out easy on the other side of the stove

texag10

WKR
The seek outside trekking pole strap is perfect for z poles. I have some older z poles and the strap lets me lash them together super tightly and easily adjust the height. $10 if memory serves.

fingers

FNG
Is it truly a one person with stove?

I've looked at the layout an youtube videos and in some photos it looks very small but in others it looks like two could barely fit with a stove in a pinch. It would be very tight with two of course.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Is it truly a one person with stove?

I've looked at the layout an youtube videos and in some photos it looks very small but in others it looks like two could barely fit with a stove in a pinch. It would be very tight with two of course.

Yup. I run my ST with a Lite Outdoors stove and it works great. Do I have a ton of room? No, but if you organize it well enough, it is very usable. I can't stand up in it or walk around with my morning coffee, but then again, that isn't why I bought it.

fingers

FNG
Ok. I was thinking about getting one then occasionally having my wife but we should probably just get a cimarron but I 95% of the time it would just be me.

texag10

WKR
I think a LBO + vestibule will sleep 2 with a stove. Might want to check that out.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the Silvertip for this past seasons September Elk hunt out in Idaho, on return I was seriously contemplating of throwing it up for sale, but after some reflection I am absolutely keeping it.

Pros:

Very Mobile and Easy to Pitch

Easy to pitch, small enough foot print where its wasn't impossible to find a good piece of level ground that wasn't in a ditch. This was extremely important to me as I was hunting off my back and camp was were I ended up that night. The Silvertip is a breeze to pitch, stake out the four corners, stick the center pole, tighten up the rest of the stake outs.....DONE. There were a couple of nights were I was struggling to find a good location to set up because it was either to steep or not in a high spot which really bugged me out, since this was the first time I was running a floorless and was worried about getting wet since we had rain for a couple of the days out. There were points in the trip where I was thinking the Cimmaron would of been the better choice because of the size and space, but thinking back when it came to finding a location every night in some random draws I was glad I didn't, this is one of the reasons I decided to keep the tent.

Bomb Proof in the Wind/Rain/Snow

Had a couple of nights where it was blowing 30 mph hard to the point I was getting a little worried, this little tent ate it up.

Cons:

Condensation

I was able to fix this issue, so not really sure its a con, but worth mentioning. First night pitched the tent to tight to the ground, it snowed over night and the condensation just plain sucked. The next morning I threw some guy lines onto the stake outs and pitched the tent to where the sod skirt was just touching the ground. This provided some additional ventilation and pretty much managed the condensation going forward.

I wish Seek outside would install the same ventilation system it does on there bigger tents, the current system in the top of the shelter kind of sucks. I through a stick in to keep it open but later pulled it out since it looked like it was going to rip it.

This shelter is a step above minimalist, to me its a single person tent. There were a couple of days where I had to hunker down due to the rain. I thought if I had another dude in here with me the condensation would suck and it would be tight, no way could we pack in our gear and not feel totally claustrophobic. Being confined to the tent for hours at a time, I tried to picture how the space would look like with a stove, I don't think it would be to bad, the only concern I had was rolling into it during the night, might not be a factor just a thought. During this time I thought of selling the shelter and going to a Cimmaron, just for the extra head room to be able to sit up in, but in the end of the day I spend most of this time catching up on sleep.

The Silvertip is what it is, if your looking for a shelter that can sleep 2 + Gear+Stove and can stand up in, then its not for you. If you're looking for a solo shelter to crawl into and not worry about it getting blown away then its one to consider. I will be sending it back this spring to get the stove jack installed, will be considering a stove for this season. I think having a stove when the weather sucks and having the ability dry out and warm up would have been a mental game changer.

reaper

WKR
Nice pitch,a ton a space inside the Silvertip
cc2273ab8b4e5687228c762b0bb4b8ed.jpg
826555a9e34ad928500997a70912735b.jpg
8474efa4abb5b412c0c3335bf9669b3b.jpg
92e2fb5ef45b48028dcd19d5f8e688a4.jpg
03272d95e8c63fc23e58218c62101aa2.jpg
80d4569f7e23a9b9e1bb83f730cb66e8.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk