Seek Outside Silvertip

dotman

WKR
This thing is nice Kevin,on my list for a solo shelter.

Is there inside loops at the peak to hang a clothe line or stuff???
Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

I wish they would of put clothes line loops in the cimmaron, only thing I would like added.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Understood on the usability, but we believe that shelter canopy integrity is more important especially in the smaller shelters. The better approach is a prusik on the pole then hang what ever you want, or create and internal cordage line with a couple loops going to a stake out. Better integrity and performance , plus it can take more weight.

reaper

WKR
Nice i like it.Do you have setback instructions with your purchase?Because with what i see,it looking to tight on corners and you lose a little room by inside and we can see a lot of sagging,with proper setback pretty sure you can lift the pole a little more.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been dragging my feet on getting a floor less shelter, got the email on this and pulled the trigger. Got here today, just in time for Idaho rifle elk! Very impressed so far, seems like plenty of room for solo with a stove and could fit two if needed without. Here's a pic for you guys asking about the shape.

Set the non zippered seams in toward center about 2 inches ..while keeping them taught side to side ..essentially making it a square if you remove the zippered sections. You should be money then. Personally, I don't ever see myself using all the perimeter tie outs unless I am in really bad soil that is hard to anchor (sand / rock). It sets up incredibly simple and fast.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trekking poles, some you can link, some you can wrap cordage together , some you can add an extender and sometimes ..you can make a simple bed of sticks or rocks. Many poles are not long enough but 145 CM will work. I can make any of them work though with a little time a futzing around.

reaper

WKR
Just saw your post, somehow missed it. Been out hunting lots . Very happy I picked this up, defiantly have no plans to go back to a floored shelter any time soon. Got a good variety of conditions to test this in this fall. 30-40 mile an hour winds at risky spot we picked on a ridge line. Rocked it down to 12-20 degrees for three nights. Very comfortable setup for one and little snug for two.. already looking at a red cliff or sawtooth for multiple people and keeping this for all my solo stuff.

Few pics doesn't works??
Looks nice!!!!

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wanna know what you were burning that you had that flame rocking out the pipe lol

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anyone running one of these with screen doors? Thoughts? I was going to start a thread but figured digging this one up would be better.

My Hilleberg got flattened by a bear last fall so going back to the SO mid for my solo tent. I'm in Montana, so the doors would be nice for summer venting and horsefly protection, but I'm a bit hesitant to add weight to the thing.

I'd do a Cimarron in a heartbeat, but I'm in a solo shelter situation most of the time.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running one of these with screen doors? Thoughts? I was going to start a thread but figured digging this one up would be better.

My Hilleberg got flattened by a bear last fall so going back to the SO mid for my solo tent. I'm in Montana, so the doors would be nice for summer venting and horsefly protection, but I'm a bit hesitant to add weight to the thing.

I'd do a Cimarron in a heartbeat, but I'm in a solo shelter situation most of the time.....

I do. Works good so far, however, I have yet to be in really buggy country. I will say that it doesn't take much to rip them though. My GSD pup put a couple 4-5" rips in mine in a hurry. Its not a huge deal, but I need to see if SO can fix it for me.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I do. Works good so far, however, I have yet to be in really buggy country. I will say that it doesn't take much to rip them though. My GSD pup put a couple 4-5" rips in mine in a hurry. Its not a huge deal, but I need to see if SO can fix it for me.

Good to know, thanks for sharing!

texag10

WKR
I got my silvertip this week and have it set up in the backyard while the seam sealant dries. One thing I've noticed people not being happy with is SO's vent setup and telling people to just prop it open with a stick. I took a piece of arrow (settled on about 2" carbon to carbon) with a nock on each side. They clip nicely over the zipper hold it open without having anything touching the silnylon or cordura fabric used for the tent walls and zippers. I did sand down the ends of the nocks slightly so they are less pointed. This can easily be put in from inside the tent.

6F63ne8m.jpg

jxtQJXem.jpg

I am going to sleep in it tonight, should get down to the mid 40's in DFW. It's been windy (for the area) today with 20+ mph gusts. All staked out the silvertip is silent. I was using a tarptent contrail (predecessor to the protrail) and have gained probably .5-.75 lbs, but have so much more floor space, volume, and weather resistance that I'll gladly carry the weight. I'm going on a trip to Caprock Canyon state park in December and staying in a remote campsite, I plan to take a thermometer so I can compare outside temps to interior temps with no stove.

ETA: slept in this in my backyard to get a feel for it and see the temp differential to the outside. was 43* outside and 48* inside, no stove. I did have a lot of condensation, but it was pitched super close to the ground over green grass with humidity starting around 60% and falling to 30%. This was my second time pitching it and I stretched it too tight when setting in stakes. My first time pitching it I set out the corner stakes in a rectangle with no tension in the fabric, then put the center pole in. It gave much more interior space. I get to work from home this afternoon and will practice again and also tie some cordage on the tie outs so I can raise it off the ground for ventilation when appropriate.

Last edited:

texag10

WKR
I spent Saturday night in my silvertip for its first true bacpacking trip. My father in law, brother in law and I hiked 7 miles to a campsite on the Cross Timbers trail that follows the southern shore of Lake Texoma. The campsite was great, a relatively level spot on a peninsula out into the lake with oak and cedar trees. There were some decent winds off the lake but they died down at night. I experienced no condensation whatsoever overnight despite being in my tent for 11 hours straight and having it pitched tight to the ground with no doors open. Humidity was in the 60% range and temps got as low as 34*. I took a small thermometer and the inside of the silvertip was 42*.

This is my 4th time pitching it and I get a little bit better each time. It's pretty easy to get right now, just follow the included instruction to get the 4 corners done with the stakes juuust far enough apart that the fabric doesn't have a ton of slack, but isn't being stretched, then adjust the height of the pole to get the seams taut. Stake out the doors and you're done with the minimum required. Interior room remains impressive compared to a lot of tents, my father in law does his best to single-handedly keep REI in business and his traditional 2 man has less floor and vestibule space for right at double the weight.

Atf2Fogh.jpg