Big Agnes lost ranger 15

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this bag. Curious if anyone has tried this out?
I like the idea of the weight coupled with the shoulder width,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great 30 degree bag. Unless you are a warm sleeper you will freeze your jewels off at 15. BA is pretty well known for overestimating their temp ratings.

If you want to save weight go with a quilt from enlightened equipment or another maker.

OP
L

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know . Being this is my first back country bag I have a hard time going quilt . I also noticed BA has a 0 degree whiskey bag however the weight is somewhere N of 6 lbs

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like that bag a lot. its very lightweight and i would rate it a little lower than 30. Ive spent many nights below that in mine. with that said, i now run a EE convert and love it. best of both worlds. the BA is cool because it doesn't have insulation on the bottom where pad is and has a sleeve to slip your pad into

OP
L

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever tried wiggys bags? Seem to be priced ok, and come wide

I use the LR 15 and like it. Temp rating is a bit conservative but I've slept comfortably at 25. I carry a sea to summit liner for really cold stuff. It's a fine option for those of us that can't swing a Western mountaineering sleep chamber. I'm an active sleeper so the extra room is great and the pad sleeve keeps it under me all night.

Kotaman

WKR
Great 30 degree bag. Unless you are a warm sleeper you will freeze your jewels off at 15. BA is pretty well known for overestimating their temp ratings.

BINGO...I love BA bags but know that their temp ratings are a bit off. As stated above, the Lost Ranger is a great 30-40 degree bag. You want a 15 degree bag (listed as 0) go with the Storm King.

SDHNTR

WKR

BINGO...I love BA bags but know that their temp ratings are a bit off. As stated above, the Lost Ranger is a great 30-40 degree bag. You want a 15 degree bag (listed as 0) go with the Storm King.

This! My exact thoughts. I love the roominess, so I am a BA fan, but I often find myself sleeping in my puffy gear too. A price I'm willing to pay.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've run it for the last 4 years with the BA Q core pad. For me it's like a 35 degree bag with no extra layers on, but I'm a cold sleeper. I love the room in it and the wide footbox.. I'm not completely sold on no insulation on the bottom of the bag, especially as it gets colder but I do like the bag and system for earlier season. It packs down super small which is awesome. After it starts going below freezing I switch to the kifaru slick bag.

I had the lost ranger down to 20-25 this last weekend wearing merino base layers. I always have to wear socks though, the footbox seems to be a little drafty. But, overall, the bag is super comfy with the pad sleeve...I can toss and turn all I want and everything stays right in place.

cocky84

WKR
I had the lost ranger and sold it for a storm king. Both are awesome but the 15 degree is not a 15 degree. The 0 degree is more like a 15 degree
Love the comfort and how you can't slide off the pad.

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a Wiggy's bag since 2000 and love them. I have one of there systems that combined rated for -40. I don't know if they still offer it but if you were military they gave close to a 50% discount.

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak to that bag but I got a Storm King 0 and love it.