Kodiak Canvas

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
I like that cabin tent with the awning so we could have a covered cook area also. Is the Deluxe tent that much better? I don't see a deluxe cabin tent. Only a deluxe flex bow

Thanks, Branden

you'll get some nice storage netting to put stuff in/on, but the real value is in the "stuff sack" for the deluxe model. when you get a tent at least half the fight is to get the damn thing rolled up tight enough to slide it into the stuff sac. Not this one-you fold it up, place it on the flat canvas of what will become the stuff sack and click the ladder lock buckles together, tighten the chords, and it's stuffed. In my opinion that alone was worth the extra price!

you'll get some nice storage netting to put stuff in/on, but the real value is in the "stuff sack" for the deluxe model. when you get a tent at least half the fight is to get the damn thing rolled up tight enough to slide it into the stuff sac. Not this one-you fold it up, place it on the flat canvas of what will become the stuff sack and click the ladder lock buckles together, tighten the chords, and it's stuffed. In my opinion that alone was worth the extra price!
So true!!! Love that design!

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
a further update on our Kodiak 10X14; we've had it up for about a week, and during this time it's rained off an on, sometimes heavily. I went back today intending to hunt tomorrow's opener (changed my mind thanks to all the incredible idiots who've made camp near us, complete with their barking dogs and "sighting in" their rifles!). I discovered a fair amount of water between the tent floor and their ground sheet. the tent floor's totally dry, but is squishy where the water's pooled! We'll have to figure out a way to drain it, but otherwise, this tent's bombproof!! And I want to stress the floor's completely dry! The problem i had was, the tent isn't quite centered on the ground sheet, which sticks out in a few spots maybe two inches. The tarp is guyed out now so any rain that comes down, it will just run off onto the ground.
M8tDdLX.jpg

Brendan

WKR
I discovered a fair amount of water between the tent floor and their ground sheet. the tent floor's totally dry, but is squishy where the water's pooled!

I had the same issue. Found myself packing up the tent to put it away days after the rain, but the ground tarp trapped a bunch of water. I think next time - I'll just eliminate the ground sheet, or really make sure it's back underneath the sides of the tent. The floor is pretty tough anyways. Unless of course you tip over a hot primus lantern onto it, but that's a different issue :cool:

OP
dirtytough
Thanks guys for all the positive reviews. Reason I was looking at them from Cabela's is because I've got lots of points to use there. To many actually.

Thought I'd contribute to this thread even though it's a couple years old now.

My wife, my 2 daughters and I have been running a 10x14 Deluxe for going on 8 years now. Over that time we have made a few changes to how we set it up.

First, I developed a separate ridge pole/awning for better weather/uv protection.

We use the 'back doors' as our front door and awning space now. The sewn in awning is guyed down and how about 1' from the base of the tent. The vinyl awning is long enough to drape over the sewn in awning seam, so when it rains, we can keep all the windows open if needed. Rain just sheds off. Plus I get more head room under the vinyl awning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170817-215952.jpg
    Screenshot_20170817-215952.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 187

badger

FNG
Thought I'd contribute to this thread even though it's a couple years old now.

My wife, my 2 daughters and I have been running a 10x14 Deluxe for going on 8 years now. Over that time we have made a few changes to how we set it up.

First, I developed a separate ridge pole/awning for better weather/uv protection.

We use the 'back doors' as our front door and awning space now. The sewn in awning is guyed down and how about 1' from the base of the tent. The vinyl awning is long enough to drape over the sewn in awning seam, so when it rains, we can keep all the windows open if needed. Rain just sheds off. Plus I get more head room under the vinyl awning.

That's a great setup, GVDoc! I've been planning to do something similar for the "back door" of my Kodiak 10x10. What size center pole and tarp did you end up going with?

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I had a stove jack sewn into my 10X14 deluxe and ran my homemade stove in it. It worked great. One thing they showed me at the tent shop was the difference between their Canvas and the Kodiak Canvas. The Kodiak is an 8oz fabric whereas most Wall tent makers use a 10 oz cloth. Also, the Kodiak canvas is not as fire retardant as others. When he held a lighter under a piece of fabric and got it burning it would keep burning. With their material it extinguished itself. I guess I better sleep with a knife:eek:

I am looking at the 10x14 Deluxe or VX, would there still be a little room to wiggle around inside if you tossed in 3 cots? I have looked around but not seeing may pictures with more than one cot.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
These are on sale at Cabelas right now pretty good discount right now and they have free shipping on their website for a limited time.

Does anyone use a stove in these tents? Is it a bad idea to use a stove in a canvas tent with a floor? I been wanting a flexbow tent for awhile but I have hoped I could put a stove jack in it and run a small stove.

Yup. Used my Flexbow in AZ last week, snow flurries and temps in the teens. No issues with the Nu-Way 3500 propane stove, ran it all night. Nice compact little unit that puts out as much or as little heat as you want. Two burners allows you to modify the output and propane consumption with the twist of a knob.

28377888_10215290336512772_7830086666851715089_n.jpg

Last edited:
The Cabela's sale is what sparked my interest in the Flex-Bow. Looks like I'll have to run down to the local store and grab one this weekend.

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
We have had our Kodiak for several years now and it's starting to leak around the seams. What do guys recommend to use on the seams to seal them up. I know a lot of guys use seam sealers on tents with different material, but not sure about canvas. Thanks.

92xj

WKR
Call Kodiak canvas and talk with them. Only a few years of use and now leaking isn't right. Unless you have it pitched for months during a year.

Agreed. KC stands behind their product. In addition to the Flexbow I have a truck tent that's been used and abused and never dripped a drop.

22519277_10214150688702289_522669187369677762_n.jpg

22528108_10214150685422207_6073978657537743891_n.jpg