Kifaru Tut user reviews?

OP
mrbillbrown
Gonna try a Smith Cylinder stove this time. Really love the Lite Outdoors Cylinder stove but the lure of dropping 1# with the Smith got the best of me. We'll see once it arrives....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one. Used it about two weeks so far. Like it so much I'm selling my HMG Ultamid. I use an extra pole section to raise the perimeter off the ground for better ventilation. I have a half-nest made for me by John at Bear Paw, fits perfect. First time I used the Tut, condensation was a M***F***R. Had rained all day prior to arrival at camp, so all the grass and ground inside the Tut was soaked. It continued to rain for about 20 more hours after setting up. Moisture built up on inner walls, when the wind shook the tent even slightly, it dripped on me- just enough to be annoying. I used a sil-nylon poncho to cover the mesh of the Nest, problem solved.

When the rain stopped, I burned my MSR Windburner stove with the tent closed, but propped open the stove pipe jack. Tent was dry in about 30 or 40 minutes. I used the stove because there was no sign of the sun coming out.

It was muggy all week, but I had no further problems.

I like the option of raising the walls off the ground. This gives me the ventilation of a Megatarp, but I can lower it to the ground and still stand (near the pole) if necessary.

IMG_0046-L.jpg

IMG_0058-L.jpg

IMG_0051-L.jpg

These might help.

IMG_0029-L.jpg

IMG_0030-L.jpg

IMG_0032-L.jpg

I hope this helps, I guess I should start bringing my camera on trips.

Haven't used my stove in it yet. Been too warm.

Steve
If possible, can you post a couple more pictures with the nest inside the tut and explain how that works? I am looking into running basically the same system but am not familiar with how the Bear Paw Designs nests set-up. Thanks!

mrgreen

WKR
If possible, can you post a couple more pictures with the nest inside the tut and explain how that works? I am looking into running basically the same system but am not familiar with how the Bear Paw Designs nests set-up. Thanks!

It might be a while before I get a chance to take more pics. Busy chasing Whitetails.

As far as setup; Super simple (like Me),

Step 1) Stake down the four corners.

Step 2) Connect the peak loop to a cord pre-rigged on the center pole.

Done.

* I'm not (just) being a smarta$$, it really is that easy.

Steve

stjones

FNG
Bumping up this thread. Great info here, thanks for the pics and reviews.
I would love to hear more about this in the colder weather.
How is it with no liner?
Anyone heard anything about a liner coming?

reaper

WKR
Bumping up this thread. Great info here, thanks for the pics and reviews.
I would love to hear more about this in the colder weather.
How is it with no liner?
Anyone heard anything about a liner coming?
Aron said they will maybe have a nest but no liners because they want it lightweight.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Im bumping this up becasuse im really considering this setup. Anyone have anything else to add. I am looking to use it almost strictly for archery elk. Will this be a good option for a one man September shelter?

mrgreen

WKR
Im bumping this up becasuse im really considering this setup. Anyone have anything else to add. I am looking to use it almost strictly for archery elk. Will this be a good option for a one man September shelter?

I think it's a great option for one man. And a stove.

I'm also thinking about one of these live2hunt makes. One is exact size as the tut and one is a little taller. If anyone has one of his shelters let me know how you like it

0494dd938715d949dfb8968f35ab0c9e.jpg

296499b908321500a8c56fdb36db7814.jpg

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread. I just got mine in January and am DYING to get out in it.

I used it quite a bit last year elk and deer hunting. It is nice, very easy to setup and take down. I liner would be ideal but you could probably use one from SeekOutside and do some slight modifications to make it work. Overall I would recommend it. Yet if you are over 6' you will not be able to stand up fully in it. I am 6'5 and it is cramped when standing up.

reaper

WKR
I'm also thinking about one of these live2hunt makes. One is exact size as the tut and one is a little taller. If anyone has one of his shelters let me know how you like it

I think you should go with live2hunt shelter.The only thing made me decise to keep my SO 4 man when they released the kifaru Tut is the lack of liners option and it only got 1 door in a corner...rain, snow where i live i need more ventilation.Having 2 doors help a lot to dry the shelter quick.If you really want a Tut,live2hunt is your man.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member

Full disclosure: the second darker one isn't actually made by me but a buddy who has been helping me with designs and has picked up a couple that were on a time crunch and I couldn't get to in time.

None of my tuts have been fielded yet JT as I just started offering this. Some of my Megatarp have been out there for a couple years now.
I think you should go with live2hunt shelter.The only thing made me decise to keep my SO 4 man when they released the kifaru Tut is the lack of liners option and it only got 1 door in a corner...rain, snow where i live i need more ventilation.Having 2 doors help a lot to dry the shelter quick.If you really want a Tut,live2hunt is your man.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jbird1

FNG
Awesome thread, I just decided to pull the trigger on one, will let you guys know my thoughts on it. Really hoping this will be large enough for two guys, gear, and stove for late-season hunting. Was worried it won't handle wind load but talked with Aron Snyder yesterday and he said it's held up to 45mph sustained winds for him so that's re-assuring.

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
I got mine over the summer and used it on an elk hunt in Wyoming this past September. Super easy to setup just have to have an eye for making things square when staking down the corners. I didn't have any condensation problems where I was mainly because it was dryer than a popcorn fart. I did get hammered with some serious high winds one night for about 3 hours. The Tut took a beating and I was a nervous wreck but it held its ground. Overall I'm super happy with it.

Only time I had condensation in tut when snow built up on the bottom.

Good shelter and does exactly as advertised. Quick pitching and keeps you dry.

Oops I already posted that