anyone pack in a "lightweight" cot?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm of a similar mindset- I can go very spartan (bivy) if the need arises, but for packing into a spike camp a cot sounds like a nice luxury :D

dotman

WKR
So the question is, how many have we converted to go with a cot? :) I'm sure glad I did and yup the minimal weight penalty is worth it.

After spending the last couple nights with water running through my tent/shelter on my Kodiak goat hunt last October, I would have gave my left nut for a cot. One thing is certain, I won't find myself in that situation next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmw194287

WKR
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm wondering about bigger guys running these after reading about them sagging, etc. under load (which came up in the other thread about underquilts). I'd like to try either the Luxury-Lite or the Helinox UL and am wondering which one (if either) would be best suited for someone my size (220-230 lbs). The local REI doesn't stock either of them, otherwise I'd go test them out myself.

Just got a luxury lite in large. I weigh 256 and am 6'2 and it sagged a good deal. It was still very comfortable but not anymore comfortable than my inflatable mattress which takes up half the size in my pack. Another thing i didn't like is that it might be too long to fit in a couple of my smaller shelters. Im still on the fence about keeping it. Im no ounce counter but it weighs a good deal for something that could be replaced with something else much lighter/cheaper/and easier to set up. That being said I have only tried it in the house.

LaGriz

WKR
I purchased a Therm-a-rest (large) from Cabela's with my points. I did a car camping hunt this year to test out some gear. I found the cot needed extra parts to gain the weight limit for my 250# frame. I ended up tearing the cover and may return the thing. It did not have the correct number of supports and was tough to get in and out of. I topped the cot with an ex-therm 7 down pad and slept inside a nest in my Seek Outside BCS-2. Was plenty warm, but had issues with the pitch of the tent, the layout of the nest, and serious condensation issues. The nest kept me dry, but got soaked getting out the tent. I figured on a learning curve and have much to refine to get this corrected.

LaGriz

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ordered one today from REI, used part of my dividend and they had 20% off; it's back ordered, but in no super hurry- if it sucks they'll let me return it

Daniel_M

WKR
I've been using the LuxuryLite and Helinox for a few seasons now. No issues with either @ 228#. Just remember it's not a chair and keep body weight dispersed.

sveltri

WKR
I just got a Helinox cot lite, haven't slept on it yet, but from trying it out at home I think I'll have no problem packing the extra couple pounds in exchange for better sleep.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a few guys posted earlier just sleeping on the cot- I can't believe it's not unlike hammock camping and that you need insulation underneath you as well as on top

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Cot, pad, bag.

Thanks!

a few guys posted earlier just sleeping on the cot- I can't believe it's not unlike hammock camping and that you need insulation underneath you as well as on top

I'm sure its temperature dependent, but I'd think you'd want some insulation under you. I know from sleeping on a cot in a wall tent that cutting down the draft with a blanket draped over and a pad on top makes for a warm comfy nights sleep... I'd imagine no pad under on a cot would be cool temp wise...

Seems like there's too many variables to consider when answering the "pad vs. no pad/cot" configuration. I haven't had the opportunity to use my Helinox cot yet, but I have used traditional cots a fair amount on hunting/fishing trips, both with and without pads, and have slept comfortably in all situations. Weather conditions probably being the biggest factor as to whether or not your going to need a pad.

Daniel_M

WKR
Figure being on a cot, you've got ambient air temps under your body. I take my cot camping and when weight isn't an issue I'll throw down a wool blanket first to insulate.

i have both cots you mentioned, the helinox and the luxury-lite. I personaly like the helinox a little better because of the ease of assembly. But both are great cots. I always use a pad with mine but i hunt high in the Rockies it gets pretty cold at night and you will need a good R rating on your pad to keep off the chill at night

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Helinox on order from REI. Should be here in a few weeks and I'll give it a go.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seems like a good reflective thermal sheet under you would be a lighter option than a pad on one of these cots. A space blanket or SOL bivy comes to mind right off.

colonel00

WKR
Seems like a good reflective thermal sheet under you would be a lighter option than a pad on one of these cots. A space blanket or SOL bivy comes to mind right off.

I picked up a cot this year. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but my plan is to use the cut pieces of a Thermarest foam pad that I carry with me. I usually carry a piece or two (2 foot section) to use as a ground seat. Two pieces would be enough to insulate my torso unless it was really cold and would serve multiple uses both on the cot and while glassing.