Quilts

DEHusker

WKR
I'm sure there is fragmented discussion here all over the forum about this, but what is all the fuss over quilts vs sleeping bags? Should I really look at switching out my bag for a high end quilt? What are the real vs perceived advantages? I'll add that I think I've found live with my new kuiu down bag. It kept me warm all season this year. Just hate sliding off my stinking pad all the time...

Thanks...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to quilts from a sleeping bag and I did shave some weight (and a little volume as well)- fast forward 7 years and I'm back to sleeping bags. After a really long day, I found I just liked the simplicity of crawling to into a bag

My Katabatic Palisade (30 degree) weighed 18 oz, my Feathered Friend Osprey UL weighs 25 oz- you can an add ounce or so for the cord setup on the quilt and I typically carried a down hood (about 1.5 oz)- but still roughly a 20% weight savings going with a quilt

I wonder the same thing....I prefer a sleeping bag, and the only value I can see in a quilt, ie basically a blanket, is for breathability in warm temperatures. Otherwise, I like the sleeping bag.

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

I move around a lot and my mummy is too confining which makes me wake up alot. With my quilt I sleep much better which is why I like mine. Also have a big agnes and thought their system might work but it just didn't work for me as well as the quilt. Also love the weight savings on backpack hunts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I figure a bag can serve both functions. Zip it or leave it unzipped and laid over me like a quilt if it's too warm. I guess if weight is a huge consideration, then a quilt might be better.

Pick up a high quality used quilt and use it, then decide for yourself. If it doesn't work out, you should have no problem getting rid of it. Personally I much prefer a quilt over a bag, but everybody's different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
I'm a rough sleeper, the ability to move around, kick a foot out, and not feel confined using a quilt has made for much better sleeps in my case.

I've never had an issue getting cold

Tried the quilt for the lighter weight and better compressability and couldn't get used to it. Always fiddling with it to get it "just right". Seemed drafty and always feared it wetting out and ruining my trip.

OP
DEHusker

DEHusker

WKR
Good stuff. I always thought a quilt would be nice idea but it seems like less than a "KISS" solution in the backcountry. Seems complicated. Not sure how it could be warmer. I do see an advantage of being better at allowing movement. Also, maybe more versatile? Cover up while glassing etc??

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a quilt for 10 days this season and hated it. Back to a sleeping bag for me.

I move around a lot and my mummy is too confining which makes me wake up alot. With my quilt I sleep much better which is why I like mine. Also have a big agnes and thought their system might work but it just didn't work for me as well as the quilt. Also love the weight savings on backpack hunts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

This is exactly my thoughts too.

Pick up a high quality used quilt and use it, then decide for yourself. If it doesn't work out, you should have no problem getting rid of it. Personally I much prefer a quilt over a bag, but everybody's different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I did. I don't use a quilt for all situations, but I'm very happy with my quilt. The quilt that I bought used was also great help with regard to sizing. My wife now uses it.

I like my quilt enough to recommend trying one, but all that matters is how you sleep. Go with what gives you the best night's sleep.

I also move around quite a bit when I sleep. In a sleeping bag I'd get twisted up. No issues in a quilt.

They aren't for everyone, you'll have to try it out and see for yourself.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Good stuff. I always thought a quilt would be nice idea but it seems like less than a "KISS" solution in the backcountry. Seems complicated. Not sure how it could be warmer. I do see an advantage of being better at allowing movement. Also, maybe more versatile? Cover up while glassing etc??
I switched to using a Kifaru Doobie instead of a sleeping bag. I love it. I use it to sleep in, but also if it cold while glassing. Makes it so I can carry less clothing for use throughout the day. I come from a mountaineering guide background, and if you're not wearing it while you sleep to stay warm, then you don't need it. The only clothes I don't wear while sleeping are my rain gear and gloves, other than that all my clothes are on in order to stay warm. I've used the Doobie down to the low 20s and was fine with it. I think I could probably get away with 10 degrees and still be ok. Should say that I use it inside of a bivy (Outdoor Research Aurora) and on a Thermarest 4 season pad (Prolite 4)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I recently invested in a quilt and while I don't have enough nights in it to speak with authority, the weigh savings, space savings, versatility, ability to layer clothing and a woobie, and ability to sleep more like I do at home seemed worth the effort of giving it a try.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk