Lightest Solo Shelter?

Current Sleep system is a exped ultralite with a EE quilt.

I have been using a seak outside BT-2 and its great for two or even 3 people.

Im looking to go solo, as light as possible but still have comfort to be able to cook inside and sleep out a storm.

Help me choose a new shelter.

mlob1one

WKR
Kifaru supertarp, Megatarp, Seek Outside LBO.

Good luck

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OP
durangobrad
Thanks guys looking to go even lighter. My BT-2 is around 20 ozs. Looking to get under 10? Jimmy Tarps looks to have some pretty good options.

I have a Bt2 and it is more of a solo shelter in crappy weather for me. For super light I go no shelter when the weather looks good or I have a 7 oz 6x9 tarp for most times. Can't get much simpler or lighter than a tarp

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Current Sleep system is a exped ultralite with a EE quilt.

I have been using a seak outside BT-2 and its great for two or even 3 people.

Im looking to go solo, as light as possible but still have comfort to be able to cook inside and sleep out a storm.

Help me choose a new shelter.

Hard to beat what you've got, depending on your criteria. Floorless/not floorless, single or double wall.

Others to consider:

Tarptent 1-mans. Protrail I think is as light as I think they get, not the most ideal to cook in? The rainbow can be porched, stratospire has giant vestibules.

The Kuiu 1-man is pretty stellar from a weight perspective and usability, but not so if you're hanging out for a day.....20D floor is friggen delicate on this one. Really, really have to manage condensation well since they failed to do a head vent like an Enan or Tarptent (Notch?) has.

Hille Enan - $.....space? I don't think the Niak is a bad option either, but you pay for space and free standing in weight. I think the height is 39 inches or 36, so it's not tall like that Kuiu trek pole tent.

If you have $.....Zpacks makes some crazy light stuff, but it's steep.

One you might not see thrown around on here is the Sierra Designs Skurka design (High Route 1). Google his blog for a good rundown. I think Dave C had a nice vid of the inside during a storm on his blog as well. It's PU coated and seam taped so not the lightest. It's a neat design. SD has some new stuff this year like a combo Tensegrity/Flashlight (Devine Light 1 and 2 are the names) that look interesting, but a bit heavy due to all of the fabric. Certainly not as wind worthy as what you've got, although the overhanging walls and eves do more than would seem.

I'm quite sure I've forgotten some other good options to explore, but honestly, that BT-2 is pretty awesome for a minimalistic 1 man palace you can legitimately hang and cook in. I sold mine and now want the next gen silvertip for solo outings.....

I went from a BT2 to a Paratarp for bivy hunts. For staying light but still maintaining the ability to handle ugly weather, I think it's hard to beat. The quality is top notch and it functions really well. I used it from February-October this year, no complaints.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys looking to go even lighter. My BT-2 is around 20 ozs. Looking to get under 10? Jimmy Tarps looks to have some pretty good options.
My ultralight setup is a Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus tarp, Tigoat Raven bivy, Xtherm pad, and Zpacks 30° quilt. Everything including stakes fits inside a Kifaru medium 5 string stuff sack and weighs just under three lbs total. I've been through some nasty weather including snow, freezing rain and windy thunderstorms.

Ben

WKR
My jimmy tarp and bivy are 12 ounces combined. I'll be watching to see if anyone had anything lighter.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
My jimmy tarp and bivy are 12 ounces combined. I'll be watching to see if anyone had anything lighter.
This....I have 2 granite mountains, one with doors when expecting weather. Doesn't get much better for weight, quick set up/easy of use, and protection IMO. Plus they can take a punch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own a MLD Solomid in cuben, roomy, storm worthy and light, but costly- I've used it in all seasons

night2_zps6gykekdx.jpg

night3_zpskjeqjdu9.jpg

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
Look into the Jimmy Tarps options. I have a Granite Mountain with the door. It is very light weight, but you have to keep in mind that it requires a trekking pole to setup (you could cut a branch). I have ridden out some hellatious winds, without it getting shredded, but I did have the pole blow over on me (had to set it back up in the middle of the night). I've been in some light rain and very little snow, so I can't vouch for how it will do in a nasty, blowing storm. But I was impressed with how it survived the wind. I have been using a cheap foil space blanket to lay my pad and quilt on. I just picked up one of Jimmy's bivy bags, but haven't tried it out yet. It is very light as well, and should work well with the Granite Mtn shelter.

Tyvek, 30 lb fishing line, branches and rocks from the area
How light do you wanna go?
Any lighter and you will be using pine bellows from the area and only carrying your imagination
:)

I own a MLD Solomid in cuben, roomy, storm worthy and light, but costly- I've used it in all seasons

night2_zps6gykekdx.jpg

night3_zpskjeqjdu9.jpg

I'm using the same thing for my solo shelter and I don't think anybody makes anything more storm worthy and lighterweight then this one. MLD Solomid w/guy lines, 7 mini groundhog stakes, 4-9" CF stakes, 2 pole extenders & 2 CF stuff sacks 16.95 oz. Using it in combination with the 8 oz. Xlite pad, 6 oz. bivy, and 17 oz. 20° EE quilt and I'm under 48oz. for the entire sleep system. Spent over a week in it on Kodiak in October this year goat hunting without any issues. Great little shelter for sure.
1b688fe6d4f408531da099535782bdfe.jpg

c2c080ae8668d511ad6c6950696525cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Graves14

WKR
I really like the look of that solomid. I have a cimarron for when the wife and dogs come but it's pretty huge for when it's just me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I recently purchased a Cimmaron- I'll use it for winter outings, when the Mrs. goes and for spike camp setups. Fast and light, Solomid is tough to beat :)

OP
durangobrad
Look into the Jimmy Tarps options. I have a Granite Mountain with the door. It is very light weight, but you have to keep in mind that it requires a trekking pole to setup (you could cut a branch). I have ridden out some hellatious winds, without it getting shredded, but I did have the pole blow over on me (had to set it back up in the middle of the night). I've been in some light rain and very little snow, so I can't vouch for how it will do in a nasty, blowing storm. But I was impressed with how it survived the wind. I have been using a cheap foil space blanket to lay my pad and quilt on. I just picked up one of Jimmy's bivy bags, but haven't tried it out yet. It is very light as well, and should work well with the Granite Mtn shelter.

Im definitely considering the Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain. 9.5 ounces with guy line and stuff sack is pretty hard to beat at $129.00

Also might consider making my own 9x9 tarp.