Lite Outdoors lack of spark arrestor.

Hunter6

WKR
So santa brought me a cimarron. Now I'm scouring the net trying to find the best stove for me. I really like the size weight and large door on the 18" lite outdoor stove.

My question is I notice it's with out a spark arrestor. Anybody have one and use another companies arrestor or just don't use one. Is it needed? Y is this the only company that doesn't offer one.

I noticed on TI Goats cylinder stove they actually recommend not using one. Y.

I'm new to the hot tent idea so just trying to get as informed as I can before I spend another 3-400 on the stove.

Thanks and if there is a thread already about this please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I won't use one in Colorado without one, couple of reasons, namely forest fires and ember holes in your tent. The guy from lite outdoors told me he was going to work on that next, he also told me some guy's are using spark arrestors from seek outside or whatever they are called in his stoves.

dotman

WKR
I've used a ti-goat without a spark arrestor for years, the damper keeps sparks down and my pipe is 12" above my peak which also helps, I don't have ember holes in my shelter. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Some guys use a flat piece of SS or titanium in the fire box itself, and that causes the flame and sparks to hit that and also keeps heat/sparks from going straight out the pipe.
I think a spark arrestor is needed for 2 reasons. Safety of the forest first and foremost. Hole preventative on the tent.
Depending on wood used these both could be major issues.

Quite often in bow season here in Montana we are still under stage 2 fire restrictions which means we have to run a spark arrestor to be legal. Most of my September hunts are in a dry dead standing lodge pole forest so I would be very irresponsible not to run one.

rbljack

WKR
same for where we hunt in new mexico. I currently have a Kifaru Med box stove, but have been looking at lighter options. The TI goat WIFI Stove seems to be the ticket, but I haven't tried one yet. I found on their website that you can also purchase a top or bottom spark arrestor if you look in the stove parts section.

The medium might be my next purchase, but others are saying the large for better burn times. That would work fine in my sawtooth, but I think it might be too big for a supertarp.

reaper

WKR
Yes you can, i was using a Seekoutside spark arrester on my 18" Liteoutdoors stove.The fit was perfect.You can make one with a SS or titanium foil.
559509a5e4460da8dcda85e10119be4c.jpg
af0fbaccb2ed84e11b8027fdf45d76ba.jpg

Mine with SS foil:

11602c9acd46f7b7276df6fe186cd9bc.jpg
1d37354d1611580ec06655a02695e820.jpg

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
With our Simms stoves, we would take a piece of screen (metal style like for windows) and screw it around the top of the stovepipe. May not look the greatest, but it works. As mentioned, Forest Service mandates it most of the time.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
As already mentioned, Brennen for LiteOutdoors is working on one. I emailed him about it over the holidays. I've only tested my setup (Cimarron & 18" LO stove) for a few hours at the house, but with the baffle and damper I wasn't getting any sparks coming out of the chimney.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
As already mentioned, Brennen for LiteOutdoors is working on one. I emailed him about it over the holidays. I've only tested my setup (Cimarron & 18" LO stove) for a few house, but with the baffle and damper I wasn't getting any sparks coming out of the chimney.

Does the baffle help a lot with heat out put

reaper

WKR
As already mentioned, Brennen for LiteOutdoors is working on one. I emailed him about it over the holidays. I've only tested my setup (Cimarron & 18" LO stove) for a few hours at the house, but with the baffle and damper I wasn't getting any sparks coming out of the chimney.
The baffle is awesome,it kill all sparks but you have less space for bigger logs/woods.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Does the baffle help a lot with heat out put

I'm not sure. I've only run it with the baffle, so I have no comparison...but it got hot enough to run you out of there in no time at all. The trick is using the damper and air intake on the door to get as long as burn out of the wood as you can.

To add...I'm running a 7ft chimney pipe on my setup. I went a little longer hoping that would also help with keeping sparks off the Cimarron.

Last edited:

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I have the cimarron and lite outdoors stove. The pipe I'm using is 8 ft so most sparks burn out, but I have half a dozen tiny burn holes. They are easily patched with seam sealer.

ljalberta

WKR
Gdog. Do you by chance have any pictures of that setup, in particular the amount of pipe sticking out? I'm lookin at picking up that same combo. I'm just unsure of the 7' pipe in high winds.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
I have the cimarron and lite outdoors stove. The pipe I'm using is 8 ft so most sparks burn out, but I have half a dozen tiny burn holes. They are easily patched with seam sealer.

How far does your pipe stick out the top. Are you worried about the wind catching it