Viam Outdoors 10*quilt review

Hello everyone, Thought I would share my experience with my Viam Outdoors quilt. I spent over 15 nights in it this season. First upon ordering it in august, the customer service was absolutely awesome to deal with. They went out of their way to make sure my needs we going to be met. After my order I received the quilt in 6 days!! this was fantastic as my wife and I were going on a anniversary trip in north Idaho near the Canadian border, to hike into a high mountain lake (not high for you guys in Colorado 6,000ft) temperatures were in the 80's during the day and low 40's at night.

We did the 3 mile hike and set up camp. Once our bags were rolled out my wife quickly saw the quilt and decided she was going to be stealing it from me for the trip. She is not a fan of mummy bags, and is a very cold sleeping. Even though temps weren't very cold I no longer have a quilt anytime we are camping together..

Now for the real tests. Through out september I would be chasing bulls in this same area. I bought this quilt because September in unit 1 of Idaho has resemblance of the Oregon coast for some reason. Out of the 12 days spent, it didn't rain 2 of them. So a synthetic quilt is a must for me. Temps at night ranged from high low to mid 30's which is not pleasant when soaked from head to toe. The quilt out performed my every need. I would wake up dry and warm after those short nights of sleep during elk season. Even with my big agnes pad leaking through the valve with no way to fix it.

Now for cold weather test. Late season Archery whitetails in Washington state. Temps during the day were in the 20's and would dip down to 10-15 at night. We did have a stove in the cimaron but as you all know that burns for a short period and we didn't stoke it during the night. This is where I was unsure if the quilt was going to make the cut as I didn't believe the 10* rating. There are not many things colder than sitting in a tree stand all day not eating and a steady wind hitting you in the face, while waiting for mountain whitetails. But for 3 nights I crawled in with my long johns and puffy and woke to warm wool pants and jacket at the bottom of my quilt.

I am extremely pleased with this purchase and the build quality. I really don't plan on switching away from a quilt in the near future. If you guys have any questions on the quilt let me know.

Thanks
Dustin

Attachments

• IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 175

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, I have a question, how small does it compress? Is it something that would fit in large day pack (2500ci) and not take up too much space?

OP
muledhunter
I don't have a tape on me but I would guess its a 10x12 in sack. but if you got a compression sack it would definitely compress smaller. That is my plan for the upcoming season. So I would think you wouldnt have an issue. In my DT2 I could fit my quilt and my cimmaron in the bottom sleeping bag storage. they are about the same size.

mavmskyb8

FNG
I have 2 of the 10* quilts as well. One regular & one long. They both performed great for 5 days which it rained and or snowed every day. I use a Kifaru stuff sack for mine.

gabenzeke

WKR
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm curious of anyone has measurements on the 10 degree quilt in a compression bag? I'm about ready to buy one, but want a better idea of minimum size.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk