new sleep system and added adjustments

92xj

WKR
Decided it was time to bite the bullet and order good quality stuff.
Went with the mega tarp, Bearpaw bivy and EE 20 quilt.

I knew I wanted the ability to raise the Megatarp to allow airflow to prevent condensation. Especially after reading Luke's advice on the subject. Also, I hate being wet and getting wet inside a shelter. So, I added extensions on the tie out tabs that I would run without the annex installed. With the annex and stove I'd imagine I will run it closest to the ground. I wanted maximum adjustment in the height and wanted to go a little different than the few guys I hunt with. Ordered some small diameter cordage and line adjusters. Now, I am able to raise and lower at any height up to the max height that you see in the pictures.

Since ordering the EE down quilt, I wanted to protect it, avoid drafts and add a degree or two of warmth. I also flip and flop like a fish on land when I sleep. This is my first experience with a quilt, so, I ordered a wide pad, 30", wide quilt and had Bearpaw build a custom bivy. Cuben floor, noseeum mesh and breathable body. 30x84. I don't plan to put anything in the bivy with me so I didn't need to extra length as I am only 5'10".

Excited to get out in the woods and try it this early spring and see how it does. So far, in the yard, it seems to be a quality setup. I plan to ditch the stakes on the bivy and run guy out line to the corner tarp stakes to hold it in place.

Any critiques on thoughts I have messed or notice anything stupid in the pictures, please tell me. I am new to this and just starting out.

To note, I would much rather carry a few extra pounds and be as comfortable as possible wherever I go. I plan to hunt in non rain forest with this setup. Also in the planning stages of a 2018 caribou hunt and this is the setup I plan to take. At home, I will be in dry areas, rain storms and snow, but not 20 straight days of rain. This will be my set up 365days a year.
Now onto researching and reading about cookware....

Looks awesome! Would love to hear more after you get some nights on it. I got a megatarp also that I haven't used yet, but am trying to decide if I want to do a mesh bivy like you,or more of a nest design for the "bug season"

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Looks awesome! Would love to hear more after you get some nights on it. I got a megatarp also that I haven't used yet, but am trying to decide if I want to do a mesh bivy like you,or more of a nest design for the "bug season"

I thought about a nest but my main concern was keeping me on my pad wrapped in my quilt and avoiding any drafts and save as much weight as possible. UL bivy it was. Plus I enjoy having space to kneel and crawl around next to the bivy to get to my pack. With the tarp positioned in the highest position, I'll be able to sit inside with a camp chair, a nest would take up that space, and then there is the stove that I plan to get and run. I'll keep this updated as I use and test my inexperienced theories I have in my head out in the wilderness. I'm looking forward to getting out soon!

I thought about a nest but my main concern was keeping me on my pad wrapped in my quilt and avoiding any drafts and save as much weight as possible. UL bivy it was. Plus I enjoy having space to kneel and crawl around next to the bivy to get to my pack. With the tarp positioned in the highest position, I'll be able to sit inside with a camp chair, a nest would take up that space, and then there is the stove that I plan to get and run. I'll keep this updated as I use and test my inexperienced theories I have in my head out in the wilderness. I'm looking forward to getting out soon!
That's a good theory though! Since I haven't used mine at all yet, it is hard for me to consider all angles. Looking forward to more!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've ran a very similar set up for a few seasons now. Works well. My only advice is if you are pitching it raised up, watch the wind. A good gust will pull your stakes easily as the megatarp is basically a parachute at this point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
For now I'm running the klymit static v insulated with an r of 4.4. I was way skeptical and still am a little with longevity, but I find it surprisingly comfortable. Even on my side I don't bottom out on my hips and I find the v shape very comfortable. Also, being inside the bivy I hope I can make it last a tick longer by protecting it. We shall see. If it fails before I feel a get my money out of it, I'll switch to maybe a Nemo or another 30" insulated pad. Again, I'd much rather be comfortable and pack an extra pound than get shitty sleep and save a pound. If I feel saving a pound will be beneficial I'll just take an extra dump or something.