Cimmaron,Redcliffe or kifaru sawtooth

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What are your needs? Budget? How many people? Planning to buy and use a stove?

OP
T
2 possible 4 people
Yes I have a stove and will possibly by another

May buy to complete setups
Just trying to figure which one

Mainly early season high country elk hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Budget is a minimal concern

Would rather buy right the first time
Usually cheaper in the end🤠

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For 4 people the Redcliff is the only way to fly. But honestly I would consider an 8 man tipi if wanting a stove and 4 guys. Or two 2 man shelters.

OP
T
Probably go with 2 2 man setups

So what do u think luke??

2 cimmarons or 2 sawtooth??

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally I got one Commaron without a stove jack to keep it as light as possible for solo shelter or just summer backpacking for 2-3 when no stove is needed. Then get a Sawtooth of course it comes with a stove jack and is a bit hescydd. The layout can allow for 2 guys and their gear as well as the other two guys from the Cinmaron to all hangout and enjoy the stove in the mornings and evenings and extra gear and such can be stored in the non heated cinnamon if needed more space for all 4 guys to chill.

That's what I have done atleast. More versatile than just one larger shelter and if needed the group of 4 can split up once back there and hunt and camp two different areas as well if desired which makes the setup even more versatile. Atleast the idea has worked well for me and why I went this route.

Akicita

WKR
Which one
Pros and cons

No secret here I am a huge fan of the Redcliff!! The Sawtooth is an outstanding shelter but the versatility of the hybrid pyramid footprint and double doors of the Redcliff gave it a slight edge for me. The peak, vent, sod skirt and standing headroom are all pros. The only con I would say is the pyramid sides don't shed wind as well as a tipi but I have rode out some pretty severe storms and snow above and below treeline that has gained my full confidence. I find myself packing this over any of my solo or 4 season mountaineering shelters more and more. I truly enjoy the standing head room and the ability to setup cots when truck camping or as a base camp. It also allows me to bring in a camp chair to sit and relax or read when sheltered in foul weather.

Last edited:
OP
T
What are the weights on
A sawtooth, cimmaron and redcliffe??

Akicita

WKR
What are the weights on
A sawtooth, cimmaron and redcliffe??

Weight of Redcliff, pole, guy lines, stakes and bag - 4.13lb

Weight of SXL Stove, pipe, damper and bag - 3.76 lb

TentWeight_zpsmadmtlrb.jpg

StoveWeight_zpsdjnx0dkl.jpg

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Getting interested in this idea of a hot tent for next fall. The Redcliffe looks like a good amount of space. Had been looking at the 6 man tipi. Looks like some weight savings with the Redcliffe for about the same space. Any reason to go with a tipi vs the Redcliffe pyramid. Planning for two guys with gear, and summer time flex up to 4 for the family.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
God and here I was spending the entire day researching this very topic, and here we are LOL.

I am leaning towards the Sawtooth seems from what I read its bomb proof.

I have a redclif and honestly think 4 and a stove would be a tight fit. Had 3 and a stove and was comfortable. This is my first floorless shelter though and I will say it would be more spacious than a 4 or 5 man tent. For 2 the redclif is a palace.

My recommendations for would mirror Lukes, two shelters for different purposes if money isn't an option or if you only want one and weight isn't a concern go with the 8 or 10 man tipi.

colonel00

WKR
I have a redclif and honestly think 4 and a stove would be a tight fit. Had 3 and a stove and was comfortable. This is my first floorless shelter though and I will say it would be more spacious than a 4 or 5 man tent. For 2 the redclif is a palace.

My recommendations for would mirror Lukes, two shelters for different purposes if money isn't an option or if you only want one and weight isn't a concern go with the 8 or 10 man tipi.

Curious, were you staking it down tight to the ground or using any sort of extension on the stake loops?

actually both. I'm not saying 4 wouldn't fit just for my preference 4 would be tight. The winds 1st season in the Flat Tops were bad; the 1st night left it about 3 inches off the ground but it flapped and shook enough to make it hard to sleep. Sunday night had gusts to 70 and staked it to the ground. It made it through without much problem. You could get it a little higher off the ground if you wanted.

We had two guys on one side and myself on the side of the stove (the stove was unnecessary but having bought it I wanted to bring it). All our gear was in the tent as well and that does take up space.

To the OP, go out and mark the dimensions on the ground. Now come in about 8 to 12 inches from those for actual sleeping room without touching the sides (on a pad with a 0 degree bag). I did this with the Redclif, Cimarron, and Luna 6. It allowed me to quickly cross off the Luna 6 and Cimarron for 3 with gear and stove but I wanted more space and didn't mind the weight penalty.

It was set up to the next to last hole on the center pole as well.

It isn't that 4 and gear won't fit. In my opinion it's just better served for 3 with stove and gear or 4 with stove and the gear outside.

Last edited: