Need more heat

snowplow

WKR
Hey guys, as I mentioned before I got a little cold last year on my elk hunt with my 20* down quilt, uncompagre, stocking cap and full marino base layers. So I am wondering what the best and most cost effective way to extend my temp range is?

I am considering scrapping the Uncompagre for a warmer Kifaru LP Parka or a Kuiu Superdown and getting some puffy pants.

I dont have experience with any of those. Does that sound like a good plan? Anyone got better ideas?

Thank you!

Happy New Year!

kodiakfly

WKR
I saw that you said "cost effective" but why not get a warmer quilt? I get cold easily, so I always "overbag." But I also like to only wear base layers at night.

dog812

WKR
If your cutting weight, then yes get more layers to wear to bed, that you can also hunt in. Puffy coats and pants work great, and are comfortable to sleep in. Light and packable.
If pack weight isn't a issue, get a lower temp rated mummy bag.

mlob1one

WKR
I think that is a great idea. I would also inquire what pad you are using?

Depending on weather and elevation I will switch from one of my two Exped pads. I have both the UL Synmat 7 & 9 in a long wide and can tell you the extra insulation from the 9 is substantially warmer. It may be that you have sufficient warmth on and above you, but an insufficient R value between you and the ground. (The 7 has a R value of ~3.6 while the 9's R value is 6.)

What is the R value of your current pad?

Regardless I think I'm also getting a Kifaru lost parka, but I'd start with the pad. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I always sleep in my merino base layers and I always carry a puffy jacket and pants, and a lot of times I sleep in both. Sometimes I sleep in everything that I have if I feel chilled or if I am wearing wet gear that I want to dry out while I sleep. If I can double duty gear (use the same gear for multiple things), I'll do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, as I mentioned before I got a little cold last year on my elk hunt with my 20* down quilt, uncompagre, stocking cap and full marino base layers. So I am wondering what the best and most cost effective way to extend my temp range is?

I am considering scrapping the Uncompagre for a warmer Kifaru LP Parka or a Kuiu Superdown and getting some puffy pants.

I dont have experience with any of those. Does that sound like a good plan? Anyone got better ideas?

Thank you!

Happy New Year!

What was the temperature inside your shelter?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Send your quilt in and have them stuff more down in it. Turn it into a 0 or negative temp quilt. I hate wearing anything other than my base layers when I sleep on the mountain. But I started with a 0 degree quilt because I know I get cold easily, and that's just for archery season.

I tried a 20 degree quilt on an Xtherm pad in the summer and froze. I also always wear either my fleece hat or wool watch cap when I sleep out.

I agree that the pad is critical. I made a fleece cover for my pad for colder trips and also have a lightweight foam sheet that came from packing material that would also help. For me, keeping my feet warm is an issue so I use lightweight down booties. I bought a Long Hammock Gear quilt as I cover my head (Also wear a beanie). Some may not be able to sleep that way but for me, exposing my face makes me colder. I assume the OP is using the straps on the quilt to keep the edges tucked under the pad? Just some of my thoughts to consider.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Actually l was in a hammock with a matching 20degrees under quilt. But this year on going to the ground. No pad yet. I hated how short my quilt was. Maybe they can lengthen it and add a little fill.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
It was low 20s. I was in a simply light winter haven floorless shelter.

Are there any other zip off puffy pants to consider than the kuiu?

I've never used a quilt so can't speak to them, mostly because I tried a Western Mountaineering bag that's warm to the rated temp and never looked back!

mlob1one

WKR
Actually l was in a hammock with a matching 20degrees under quilt. But this year on going to the ground. No pad yet. I hated how short my quilt was. Maybe they can lengthen it and add a little fill.
That makes sense. If the quilt was compressed under you the fill will not be a fraction as effective as it needs to be. I'd consider a pad with an r value as high as your budget and weight restrictions will allow. A pad will be much more effective than a quilt and hammock underneath you.

Akicita

WKR

Something to think about when considering "puffy" options is that when you are lying in them and compressing the fill the areas of insulation your body is lying on are rendered virtually ineffective. Therefore if you were lying on your back the only parts of your body benefiting from the puffy would be your front. In extreme cold I will typically insulate with several layers of base merino and several mid layer of fleece. Most importantly I will ensure I have enough R-Value insulation between me and the ground.

Seems to me that adding more insulation or length to an existing bag might be a lot more costly considering the custom work and shipping, etc, than just ordering a new one and selling the relatively new one via classifieds as they are becoming more popular. I know some companies (Hammock Gear) will add additional down to whatever model you choose if you'd like to boost a 20 degree bag to 15 or 10.

FreeRange

WKR
A good pad is critical, especially with a quilt. I really like the xTherm with my 20 deg quilt when it gets down to the 20's. Compared to my xLite it makes a huge difference but I find I only really need it once it's down in the 20's.

Something to consider regarding upgrading your puffy that I found super interesting. On a recent Journal of Mountain Hunting podcast he had on a guy from Sitka who was explaining why sleeping in a softshell is a bad idea. Basically your body's ability to "push" vapor our through a softshell while awake and active is good, your ability to permeate a softshell while sleeping is bad and you'll dampen up over the course of the night. Similar problem to when you hike in a hard shell, your sweat can't push out of the material and you get soaked from the inside out. Some puffy's shells might not be breathable enough to be a good option for sleeping in. I've used the kenai as my "puffy" and have had no issues but did sleep with a soft shell on while trying to stretch the limits of my 20 deg quilt and did experience this phenomenon of waking up a bit clammy but not too cold.

I think a puffy is a good way to add warmth especially if you toss and turn as it stays with you, but of course just like a down sleeping bag what's under you compresses and you lose that insulation value.

Lastly, a good cheap fix is the costco down blankets, for $20 and 1lb they add I'd say about 10 degrees of comfort, that may be all you need. I like always having a backup form of synthetic insulation in case my down gets wet so this year will be using a synthetic lightweight quilt as my overquilt.

twall13

WKR

Rumor has it First Lite is coming out with some this year. I believe Kryptek has some. And of course there are non hunting brands with good options as well.

Russp17

WKR

I would say the hammock had something to do with it. A good pad is substantially warmer than a hammock or cot. Air moving under you sucks heat away from your body while a warm pad will insulate and keep it a constant temp.

twall13

WKR
I would say the hammock had something to do with it. A good pad is substantially warmer than a hammock or cot. Air moving under you sucks heat away from your body while a warm pad will insulate and keep it a constant temp.
He had an underquilt which is suspended below the hammock fabric so the insulation is not compressed. I use a similar setup and have slept comfortably down to 15°. Everyone sleeps different but for most people that setup should have been warm enough.

For an ultra low cost option, try a reflective tarp or Sun shade (shiny side up) between you and your hammock.

mlob1one

WKR
He had an underquilt which is suspended below the hammock fabric so the insulation is not compressed. I use a similar setup and have slept comfortably down to 15°. Everyone sleeps different but for most people that setup should have been warm enough.
Even uncompressed if there is airflow underneath you, that can really drop the temp.