CO Elk hammock setup

bncrshr77

FNG
Hi All,

I have hunted the past 2 archery seasons in SW CO and think it's time to give a hammock setup a try. I'm generally all about ultralight gear but wanted to see what the consensus is for the ultimate hunting setup after 2016.

I hike in an average of 4 miles to set up camp.

Here is my list so far:
- Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single layer with whoopies
- Elightened equipment 30 degree convert quilt... like that my girlfriend can have one as well and we can zip them together when camping.
- Hammock gear cuben fiber tarp with doors... Mainly for the weight savings over the WB superfly.
- 3 season WB wookie underquilt.

If anyone has any good suggestions to lighten the load or if something I've listed isn't up to par then by all means I'm ready to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak for CO but idaho/oregon for archery elk bugs were a non issue. I plan to go with my Dutch 1.0 hexon, Kevlar straps, Dutch hooks for easy set up, and whoopies...seems almost a pound less than your listed if I am reading the wb website correctly....plus the hammock is only $42. For my shelter I have HG cuben tarp with doors and plan to bring a ladies XLite pad in the event I have to go to ground. Still testing this set up but I am fairly confident thus far and pleased with the weight. Only about 10oz added weight to my UL ground set up. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
B

bncrshr77

FNG
Yep, the Dutch 1.0 is quite a bit lighter for sure.

I forgot to mention in my original post that some of the places we chased elk around were thick with mosquitoes so they are a concern of mine. I had read about the hammock you have and that the Dutch half wit bug net left something to be desired so that kind of took them out of the running. The last half of the season was bug free though!

I guess my UL dreams require a bugnet and the warbonnet seems like a great fully featured hammock.

Last edited:

snowplow

WKR
I did the same thing last year in WA. I have the same dutch hammock. For a tarp I couldn't handle the sound of cuben fiber. Of course silnylon would be heavier, but I would highly highly recommend the Simply Light Design Winter Haven. I had an 11' hammock so I got a 12' and was dry as a bone. It was awesome. This year I'm going on the ground and this tarp should make a great shelter there too. With two treking poles it should set up just like a supertarp but even a bit more roomy with killer doors. Im going to try it out as soon as my poles get here. You could fit two guys in mine pretty easy either both on the ground or one in hammock and one on ground. I see it as good weight.

OP
B

bncrshr77

FNG
I have thought about the noise of the cuben but not sure if it would bother me or not. I will look into the winter haven!

What is making you go back to the ground over a hammock?

If the elk are in the same area they were last year I will be camping around 10,600.

I do believe that after watching several videos about underquilts that I'm going to go with a 3/4 length and use my puffy jacket around my feet I need to. I also carry a small piece of sleeping bad as a sit pad I can use if needed.

snowplow

WKR
I'm trying the ground because l want to be a leader to bivy out for the night if needed. So when l add in that l have two full sleeping systems. The hammock takes longer to setup.

twall13

WKR
3/4 length underquilts can work just fine but take a bit more fiddling to get just right. Some people think it's worth the weight savings others don't. I use a 3/4 length UQ rated for 45° in the summer but go with a full length UQ rated for 20° for most of my hunts. I'd be a bit concerned with only a 3 season UQ. You might be fine but if a good storm rolls in it may get cold in that setup. Keeping your system light is good but don't sacrifice safety or a good night's sleep for a few ounces of weight savings. I'd rather train harder throughout the year so I don't notice a bit extra weight on my back than sleep cold. I went the to the extreme end on a lightweight hammock setup at one point but have since come back to a few things that add a bit of weight but make my system easier to set up and more comfortable to me. Ultimately you have to figure out what works for you but it sounds like you are off to a good start. You have some quality gear picked out. The biggest thing is getting some use out of it before the hunt. Hammock setups have a learning curve but are great when you dial then in. Spend the time to get it dialed in before you need it.

I'm trying the ground because l want to be a leader to bivy out for the night if needed. So when l add in that l have two full sleeping systems. The hammock takes longer to setup.

We are opposites. I bivy in my Clark NX-250 and can set it as fast as a tent. If I intend to cover alot of ground then I wanna be able to pitch and camp wherever I am, regardless what the terrain is like. I've pitched on 60* slopes before. Can't do that in a tent. I spent a week hunting and pitched in a different spot every night. To me, that's the beauty of a hammock. To each his own.

I've got a couple of hammocks I'd like to try before I decide that they aren't doable for me.

I've got a kammok brand hammock and tarp and I'll run my 20* E/E quilt. Should be alright.

snowplow

WKR
I'm trying the ground because l want to be A LEADER to bivy out for the night if needed. So when l add in that l have two full sleeping systems. The hammock takes longer to setup.

Haha, l'm not trying to be a leader. I'm trying to be ABLE TO BIVY out for the night. Being a leader is next year's goal ;)

We set up Hammocks at about 9500 ft was high 30's low 40's at night. I had a 20' Mountain Hardware bag slept in base layers and all was warm except my feet still got cold. Day temps were in the high 70 so i was in light weight socks. I will pack heavy socks to sleep in or figure out something for my feet next go round. I ended up wrapping a sweatshirt around my feet for a few nights. Twall13 gave you some great info above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
We set up Hammocks at about 9500 ft was high 30's low 40's at night. I had a 20' Mountain Hardware bag slept in base layers and all was warm except my feet still got cold. Day temps were in the high 70 so i was in light weight socks. I will pack heavy socks to sleep in or figure out something for my feet next go round. I ended up wrapping a sweatshirt around my feet for a few nights. Twall13 gave you some great info above
Do you have snap closures for the foot box or sewn? I've got a snap footbox and no matter how tight I get it, there is still about a quarter sized hole right at the bottom, which led to cold feet. Stuffed a pair of socks in there a few times, but wrapping my feet in my puffy did the trick. If I was going to get another quilt and planned on hammocking in temps less than 32F, I'd for sure get a sewn footbox.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
For those dealing with cold feet in a hammock I've successfully zipped my puffy jacket around the foot end of my hammock a few times. I tuck the arm sleaves back inside the jacket and it will boost the warmth a fair amount. With it wrapped around the entire hammock none of the insulation is compressed. It does limit how much of an diagonal you can lay on but it's doable in cold temps.

OP
B

bncrshr77

FNG
Thanks for all the replies and info given in this thread!

I work in PA so I decided to drive to Dutchware's shop and check out his stuff... After being schooled on their gear I ended up with a Hexon 1.0 hammock, kevlar straps and whoopie suspension, an HG phoenix 20 3/4 underquilt and a HG cuben tarp with doors... Also got all the little line tensioning gizmos and guylines needed to set the whole thing up.

I might end up selling the 3/4 quilt and going with full length but wanted to try the minimal setup first.

The cuben tarp is a little louder but I have used them in the past and it actually puts me to sleep and they are insanely light... And insanely expensive but I figured what the heck!

Not sure if I will use all of the little line tensioner things or not but figured I would give them a try!

I should have the whole setup in a week or so and will take some pics and let you guys know what I think.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies and info given in this thread!

I work in PA so I decided to drive to Dutchware's shop and check out his stuff... After being schooled on their gear I ended up with a Hexon 1.0 hammock, kevlar straps and whoopie suspension, an HG phoenix 20 3/4 underquilt and a HG cuben tarp with doors... Also got all the little line tensioning gizmos and guylines needed to set the whole thing up.

I might end up selling the 3/4 quilt and going with full length but wanted to try the minimal setup first.

The cuben tarp is a little louder but I have used them in the past and it actually puts me to sleep and they are insanely light... And insanely expensive but I figured what the heck!

Not sure if I will use all of the little line tensioner things or not but figured I would give them a try!

I should have the whole setup in a week or so and will take some pics and let you guys know what I think.
Lucky you get to go see the dutchware headquarters. Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out.....first in line if you decide to go full length and decide to sell your 3/4 length. ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk