New sleeping bag option for side sleepers?

jm1607

WKR
I've been in the market for a sleeping bag for a few months now.. My criteria are that I want a rectangular or semi-rectangular full zip bag (not quilt), down (prefer treated), fairly light, no hood, in the 10-20 degrees range. Very few options out there! The best I have found so far is the WM Ponerosa MF. I know WM and FF make the best bags and both have options for me, BUT I still would like something cheaper if I had a choice because I'm tough on gear and don't want to baby a $700 bag..

Anyway, after doing some searching (which I've done tons of in the past with no luck) I saw a new 2017 bag by Nemo, the Argali 15. Looks like it may be a solid choice. 15 degrees, Downtek, has a waterproof sleeve to slide pad in (I'm on the fence about this but it may be exactly what I need to keep from sliding around), 40D foot box to help with moisture, only 2lb 5oz, good dimensions to roll around, about half the cost of WM/FF.. I don't like the left zip (prefer right way more) but it's not a deal breaker..

ARGALI™ 15 DOWN SLEEPING BAG | NEMO

Might wait for a sale and pick one up.. I have yet to see a review on one, think it's too new..

Rs3003

WKR
Looks pretty nice. Can fit a 20" pad in the sleeve. I'll have to consider this myself.

Akicita

WKR
I've been in the market for a sleeping bag for a few months now.. My criteria are that I want a rectangular or semi-rectangular full zip bag (not quilt), down (prefer treated), fairly light, no hood, in the 10-20 degrees range. Very few options out there! The best I have found so far is the WM Ponerosa MF. I know WM and FF make the best bags and both have options for me, BUT I still would like something cheaper if I had a choice because I'm tough on gear and don't want to baby a $700 bag..

Anyway, after doing some searching (which I've done tons of in the past with no luck) I saw a new 2017 bag by Nemo, the Argali 15. Looks like it may be a solid choice. 15 degrees, Downtek, has a waterproof sleeve to slide pad in (I'm on the fence about this but it may be exactly what I need to keep from sliding around), 40D foot box to help with moisture, only 2lb 5oz, good dimensions to roll around, about half the cost of WM/FF.. I don't like the left zip (prefer right way more) but it's not a deal breaker..

ARGALI™ 15 DOWN SLEEPING BAG | NEMO

Might wait for a sale and pick one up.. I have yet to see a review on one, think it's too new..

I'm using the Nemo Nocturne 15 Long right now and I can make an educated guess the Argali will be a great bag. Something to look at carefully is that the Nocturne has more shoulder girth. I rarely ever use the hood on my Nocturne but it is nice to hold my Fillo Pillow from sliding around on restless nights. I believe they are virtually the same weight but if the Argali is anything like my Nocturne in performance and comfort you couldn't go wrong with either one.

I'm 6' 0" with an athletic 210lb build and I have plenty of room in the Nocturne Long to flop around like a fish.

Looks good, but I wish it would take a 25" pad. It's over a pound lighter than my long wide BA lost ranger, so I will definitely be giving this one a look.

HarvDog

FNG
Side sleeper here, any other bags you'd recommend looking at? Both Nemos look solid, nothing but good things to say about my Nemo tent

TacticoolMike

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo is underrated imho. I haven't really looked at the new bags but I can't stand tight bags. The Nemo Nocturne and stratoloft are excellent for room and comfort. Made in China but overall they are probably the roomiest bags I've seen that don't also break the bank. Big Agnes has some larger bags that would probably be excellent as well.

HarvDog

FNG
BigA Lost Ranger 15 looks nice. Not sure about the bottomless bag, but it sure would be nice to stay on my pad all night.

BigA Lost Ranger 15 looks nice. Not sure about the bottomless bag, but it sure would be nice to stay on my pad all night.

I have the long wide BA lost ranger and it is super comfy, lots of room. But, for me about 25-30 degrees is the comfort level I am comfortable in it without sleeping in puffy pants and a puffy jacket.

in case it doesn't pop up for you, promo code FREESHIP gets free shipping on orders of over $99 (think that was the break point; might've been 95) A bag would put you over regardless.

HarvDog

FNG
Yea I've been reading a bit, seems the storm king may be the way to go if you can stand 4oz more weight and a little more cash. Both BigA bags measure wider in the Shoulder/Hip than the Nemo, but the Nemo is made with a stretch material so it could be a wash.
Nemo is cheaper and lighter and you won't need an insulated pad, but I like the idea of the intergeated pad sleeve on the BigA. Decisions

MtnMuley

WKR
Side sleeper and tosser and turner here. After a bunch of research last year, I chose the Montbell Downhugger #2 long. Top end pricewise, but priceless when I slept great. It's a spiral 20 degree bag. I unzipped it and used like a quilt in warmer temps. About as lightweight as they come for a very roomy 20 degree bag.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I had a BA Lost Ranger 15 and it was roomy enough to comfortably sleep on the side. Way better than a normal mummy at least. The pad sleeve was very useful as well. Only problem was that, as others here and in other threads have mentioned, I didn't find the temp ratings to be all that accurate. Even though I'm a cold sleeper, I still got way colder in it than I should have been.

KurtR

WKR
Been looking at the BA lost ranger 15 for a rifle hunt in idaho in October going to have a cimaron with stove but these reports are worrying me it will be warm enough. I am a warm sleeper so how cold was it when you guys were getting cold

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a BA Storm King long bag I could make someone a good deal on. Been used about 3 nights total I think.

Been looking at the BA lost ranger 15 for a rifle hunt in idaho in October going to have a cimaron with stove but these reports are worrying me it will be warm enough. I am a warm sleeper so how cold was it when you guys were getting cold

I was in the bag, with an insulated pad, wearing merino base layer, Sitka Kelvin pants and a Kelvin lite hoody, thick wool socks, gloves, and a beanie - temps were in the 20's that night, and I woke up often and had to boil water in my jetboil to put in my nalgene to put in the bag to keep me warm enough to sleep. If it is expected to drop below 30 I will not take this bag anymore. That's the best experience and advice I can give you.

I like the bag/pad system. It super comfy, just not true to temp for me. I am not selling it or anything, it's just now I know how and when to use it.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto what Brightwhite said. Ideally I like to sleep in a long sleeve shirt and boxers/bottoms, but had to add more layers in my old BA Lost Ranger at ~30 degrees. My expectations may be off, but I figure that I shouldn't need to bundle up with multiple layers until I get much closer to a bag's temp rating. I ended up returning it for another bag because I needed a warmer one, but if I come across a BA bag for cheap I would be tempted to get one (for the warmer months that is). Everything but the temp rating was great about that bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mudcat81

FNG
I am looking for sleeping bag and I really like the idea of the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed. I like to change positions a lot while I sleep and the backcountry bed looks like a nice option. I am worried about how it performs at the rated temperatures, though.

I am looking for sleeping bag and I really like the idea of the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed. I like to change positions a lot while I sleep and the backcountry bed looks like a nice option. I am worried about how it performs at the rated temperatures, though.

Sent you a PM... but just for everyone else to see... I have not had it in cold temps yet, but was very hot in the 50s (but the foot vent fixes that). Very comfortable bag! Important to note, it is not insulated on the back (against the pad) so it is similar to a quilt in that regard - ie very dependent on the pad. Most of the reviews I have read indicate it should be fine to the comfort rating of 31, but may be stretching it at the "limit" rating of 20... but our plan was to add a fleece liner and wear puffys if it was that cold...

We use our bags in several different situations (staying at families houses, hotels, backpacking, camping, hunting etc...) so we wanted a versatile and comfy bag... but add layers if we were in the 20s or lower (very hard to sleep when it is 60 out and your are in a 0 degree bag).

The foot vent is almost worth the cost of admission by itself :)

My $.02