Buy Once Cry Once Shelter... Backyard Photos.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is the one you are after....

.820 Tent Pole---These are for pyramid and Tipi style tents that are around
78" tall. These poles come with an aluminum adjuster section that is bonded
and riveted into the bottom section, with a ferrule over ferrule design like the
rest of our poles for greater strength, while actually achieving weight savings.
The pole adjusts from 77" to 80". 11oz---$130

that is going to be the one you are after for Cimmeron or the Ultamid.

Ruta Locura Tent Poles

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Can i assume you are using this without the floor insert? I've never used a tent without a floor and doing so makes me nervous for some reason.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Can i assume you are using this without the floor insert? I've never used a tent without a floor and doing so makes me nervous for some reason.

Yes without any floor. Nothing to be nervous about. What is your reservation? This is a topic thats been discussed over the years and some great threads about it on Rokslide ;)

RyanC

WKR
Has anyone ever used this tent with fastening two trekking poles together like in the HMG video? Just wondering how stable that would be in high winds.

I haven't used the dual trekking poles in the HMG, but used it in my DuoMid and it worked just fine. It's stout as can be and stable. I eventually went with the Ruta Locura carbon poles, because I like to leave my shelter setup at times and use my trekking poles to hike up into valleys on day trips.

wea5el

FNG
This thread could prove to be costly...... May have to start selling of the tent collection to fund a single new tent.

Is it even worth comparing the Ultamid 2 vs 4. Does the 4 prove troublesome for site selection due to size, etc. I'd like a tent for all season use from a single person to two people and a dog. Would a 4 be too big, if that could even be a thing. Thanks... -b

There's definitely plenty of room in a 2 for 2 people and a dog. That being said, I sold my 2 and replaced it with a 4. My rationale was, I have a solo shelter for when I'm by myself, and when I'm with one other person, sharing a shelter, I prefer to have a lot of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wea5el

FNG
There's definitely plenty of room in a 2 for 2 people and a dog. That being said, I sold my 2 and replaced it with a 4. My rationale was, I have a solo shelter for when I'm by myself, and when I'm with one other person, sharing a shelter, I prefer to have a lot of room.

Thanks. Not to derail the thread, but what solo shelter do you use? It seems that if someone ran the Ultamid 4 solo it's still only 2.4 pounds-ish for a huge space. Unless you ran a another cuben style shelter even a BA Fly Creek UL2 HV comes out around 2.3 pounds with a lot smaller space. Just seeing if a one shelter solution existed.

Mountain Laurel Designs cuben SoloMid. Just under 17 oz. with all stakes, cordage, etc., everything. My Ultamid 4 comes in a little heavier because I like to bring heavier/longer stakes, just for insurance purposes to keep it nailed to the ground. I use 9" MSR Cyclones and the total package, with carbon fiber pole is just under 44 oz.

Last edited:
Here is the one you are after....

.820 Tent Pole---These are for pyramid and Tipi style tents that are around
78" tall. These poles come with an aluminum adjuster section that is bonded
and riveted into the bottom section, with a ferrule over ferrule design like the
rest of our poles for greater strength, while actually achieving weight savings.
The pole adjusts from 77" to 80". 11oz---$130

that is going to be the one you are after for Cimmeron or the Ultamid.

Ruta Locura Tent Poles

I went with the .710 adjustable pole. Adjusts up to 75" and weighs 7.35 oz. on my scale. So far so good as far as durability goes, but I've only used it once and the conditions weren't all that bad. I don't have any pictures in the field but I did take some of it set up in the yard when I first got it. This pole allows you to set it up tight to the ground or raise it several inches off the ground depending on weather conditions and venting needs.
f86167e81000596500baf4b75bc70afb.jpg

fa279e2f393505c18779eedde9d3bc5f.jpg

54b07bf7b2446243bbefd971ce6111e6.jpg

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I went with the .710 adjustable pole. Adjusts up to 75" and weighs 7.35 oz. on my scale. So far so good as far as durability goes, but I've only used it once and the conditions weren't all that bad. I don't have any pictures in the field but I did take some of it set up in the yard when I first got it. This pole allows you to set it up tight to the ground or raise it several inches off the ground depending on weather conditions and venting needs.
f86167e81000596500baf4b75bc70afb.jpg

fa279e2f393505c18779eedde9d3bc5f.jpg

54b07bf7b2446243bbefd971ce6111e6.jpg

Your right trout weighed mine also so I was off on the size you want.

RyanC

WKR
Pulled the trigger on the Ultamid 4. Looking forward to getting it and using it on my upcoming sheep hunt.

Pulled the trigger on the Ultamid 4. Looking forward to getting it and using it on my upcoming sheep hunt.
Right on Ryan, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Invest in a few MSR Cyclone stakes and maybe a Ruta Locura pole (if you want a designated pole), and you'll be set.

Last edited:
Okay, I made the plunge and purchased a Locus Gear seamless cuben fiber shelter, in red of all colors. I'm thinking that it will be easier to see in the fog. As soon as I get it, within the next 6 to 8 weeks, I'll test it out and give a little review.

The temperature here this morning wasn't very optimal for me and camping,
e219fe212497a7feecf636b68f2d311c.jpg
so my test may not happen for a few months. Maybe we will start having some spring temperatures when this shelter arrives.

Okay, I made the plunge and purchased a Locus Gear seamless cuben fiber shelter, in red of all colors. I'm thinking that it will be easier to see in the fog. As soon as I get it, within the next 6 to 8 weeks, I'll test it out and give a little review.

Which shelter did you get
AK troutbum??

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice good to see more of these out there

Which shelter did you get
AK troutbum??

I ended up getting a Hapi CPF3-B. Apparently it's made by a fairly new process that doesn't require stitching of the CF so there are no seams except along the zipper. This type of manufacturing is supposed to make the shelter even stronger. Approximately 51 ft.² and comes in at right around 11 oz. If all works out well, this will be my shelter for two, for this years goat hunt on Kodiak.

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping a close eye on this thread as i am looking to get a mid for solo use.And so far Troutbum you have all the shelters i have narrowed my search too.Just curious how tall you are? and do you have any issues fitting into these shelters without rubbing the wall.I am 6 ' for reference and i have been looking at the Locus gear Khufu mid which i hear might be a touch shorter than the MLD duomid.My brother lives in Japan so having him bring it over in his luggage in June is appealing.