Buy Once Cry Once Shelter... Backyard Photos.

Keeping a close eye on this thread as i am looking to get a mid for solo use.And so far Troutbum you have all the shelters i have narrowed my search too.Just curious how tall you are? and do you have any issues fitting into these shelters without rubbing the wall.I am 6 ' for reference and i have been looking at the Locus gear Khufu mid which i hear might be a touch shorter than the MLD duomid.My brother lives in Japan so having him bring it over in his luggage in June is appealing.

You got 4" on me, I'm 5'8". I definitely think you would be fine in a Duomid, or even a Solomid for that matter, they're both 110" long. If you look on MLD's website, they show a guy that's 6'1" laying inside with plenty of room. The Khufu and Hapi are both 104" long, 6"shorter than the Solomid but I'm sure that it won't be a problem for me, and I would imagine you would be fine with it also, but I don't know that for sure. I would send Locus Gear an email and ask him if I were you. I sent him a few questions a couple days ago and he responded very quickly and answered all of them. Also there's no charge for shipping when you order one of his shelters, but they are about 6 weeks out because they don't start making it until the order is placed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HZJ73

FNG
You got 4" on me, I'm 5'8". I definitely think you would be fine in a Duomid, or even a Solomid for that matter, they're both 110" long. If you look on MLD's website, they show a guy that's 6'1" laying inside with plenty of room. The Khufu and Hapi are both 104" long, 6"shorter than the Solomid but I'm sure that it won't be a problem for me, and I would imagine you would be fine with it also, but I don't know that for sure. I would send Locus Gear an email and ask him if I were you. I sent him a few questions a couple days ago and he responded very quickly and answered all of them. Also there's no charge for shipping when you order one of his shelters, but they are about 6 weeks out because they don't start making it until the order is placed.

I'm about the same size as you... would you make an argument for having a duomid over the solomid for the sake of increased space for storage and comfort?

If my 2nd hand duomid deal falls through I had been looking towards a CF solomid.

For me, no. When I went with the Solomid, I did it because I wanted the absolute lightest, full coverage mid shelter I could find. At the time, I also had a Ultamid 2 that I would use with a partner but then decided that it would be nice to have added space for two people, sold the Ultamid 2 and bought an Ultamid 4. I feel like the Solomid has plenty of room for me and some gear. I know I've posted these pictures before but I'll do it here again just to give an idea of the size of the Solomid.
7f5661d24f14bed7b796881010798e69.jpg

dca8cc985b74a98a97d25be7166df46d.jpg

Last edited:

Johnboy

WKR
How is condensation in these single-walled tents? Also, is the CF material compatible with woodstove usage? I haven't noticed one yet with a stove in place.

Thanks for the info!

-John

PS. Curse you all cursedly for tempting me to spend this kind of money.

Ventilation is key, along with site selection. As long as it's pitched in a good spot and there's a couple inches of gap around the perimeter (walls not tight to the ground), condensation has never been in issue for me, and I've been out in some pretty wet weather with it. Sometimes, under very windy conditions, there is no other choice but to pitch it tight to the ground and there will be some condensation issues to deal with.

I know the melting point of CF is a bit lower than syl, and for this reason, most manufacturers won't put a stove jack in them. But, I also know that Josh at Ruta Locura, used to make a 6 person tipi with a stove jack, and never had any issues. Maybe it was the larger size of his tipi, coupled with the location of the stove/stove jack that allowed this, I don't know.

Johnboy

WKR
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I just found this in the "Ask Hyperlite" section of their webpage for the Ultamid-4:

Reference: UltaMid 4 Person Ultralight Pyramid Tent | Ultralight Shelters for Climbing, Hiking, and Backpacking

Hey John I think they are just playing it safe. Ive had a few conversations with Josh from Rutalucora and he used to make his Tipi's with Stovejacks. He said it isn't a problem at all.

I am not sure where people are coming up with the idea that you can't do this with Cuben tents. We built the first Cuben hot tent about 7 years ago. It was back for repairs 5 years later(squirrels chewed of the side tie outs) and it was still going strong. this was a 7.5' tent built with the lighter .5oz Cuben.

So I believe HMG is just staying on the safe side of this argument. He did recommend gluing in a stove boot as stitching can weaken the material. He recommends Loctite U-09LV for the glue.

Id like to find someone that can assist with this problem is most manufacturers won't touch other competitors products. I have my little Lamp I plan to use in mine for heat and vent it out the top to warm up the tipi.

Johnboy

WKR
SHFT, that gives me some confidence that it would work just fine. I'm tempted by that Ultamid-4. That plus a woodstove would be sweet little elk hunting setup.

What's the lamp you mentioned?

Johnboy

WKR
Massdrop: Bringing Enthusiasts Together

Ah, yes. I can't see the link (massdrop login required?), but I can see in the URL that it's a Primus Micron Lantern. It just so happens that I saw that on a Gritty Bowman youtube last night. Looks like a useful little device. Are you planning something special to vent it, as you mentioned?

Access Denied

Last edited:
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ah, yes. I can't see the link (massdrop login required?), but I can see in the URL that it's a Primus Micron Lantern. It just so happens that I saw that on a Gritty Bowman youtube last night. Looks like a useful little device. Are you planning something special to vent it, as you mentioned?

Access Denied

Not really. I Pitch my tipi up off the ground a bit for air flow like Trout does. I then make sure I have the top of the door propped open a bit but it also has a vent up top. name of the game here is be careful. I normally only do it at night when Im about to sack out and in the AM when I first wake up to warm up the tipi to get out of the Quilt.

sneek-ee

WKR
Any idea on a 2 person nest you could use in this?
For half the shelter?
Bear paw minimalist 2 work? Or pyranet 2?
Or would you have to get one custom made?

Thanks

So in what seems like my never ending pursuit in acquiring the ultimate quiver of UL shelters, earlier this winter, I purchased a Locus Gear Hapi, 2 person CF Mid. Well I just received it today and I decided to set it up in the front yard and post some pictures here. Having owned several CF mids from several different manufacturers, but never owning a Locus Gear shelter, I thought I would go ahead and try one out. I opted for one made using a new technique where there is basically no stitching involved (it's only staged along the zipper), and instead has welded seams, so virtually seamless. Although a tad bit heavier, this is supposed to create a stronger shelter. This shelter is easily large enough for two with tons of extra room if using it for solo purposes. The shelter alone weighs 11 oz. and 17.1 oz. all in with guy lines, stakes, pole jacks, and stuff sacks. My plan is to test it out extensively this summer and I'll decide after that, whether or not it will be part of my permanent quiver.
116b0e54aa9f68fea261b2bbe982a5f3.jpg

55817f2c5080e2833091eb3cdfa61d55.jpg

192cd8ffaf4159ace5507cebc6131636.jpg

e5d4cc337a297f5b3369f5ff4db9e123.jpg

6fc4b7abc13f1516f5c4d6bbbf18a6c7.jpg

5158fcb5c6e4eeee2ae37dd283f051b1.jpg

db0c16be4658ff9c929b0f4f2bfde0c4.jpg

dfd0db645466d79017e014819369b272.jpg