Buy Once Cry Once Shelter... Backyard Photos.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently purchased a Hyperlight Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 in my quest for the best lightest shelter. I won't say to much about it because I havent been out in it yet. But this weekend I got it setup in the backyard since the ground has thawed enough to get stakes in it. Figured Id post some photos next to the SOS Cimmeron. This shelter isn't for everyone as it comes with a price tag of 900$ in the green Cuban Fiber. But Im not even fretting about paying that for this shelter. the weight of the Ultamid 4 with lawson titanium Stakes and Ruta Loca Center Carbon pole is just over 2 lbs. I don't think you will find a lighter weight shelter in this category. My Cimmeron is sticking with me though as I have no plans to put a stove jack into the Ultamid. So I want the Cimmeron for the stove when I plan to use that.

Cimmeron Weight with Pole and stakes

HMG Ultamid 4 stakes and Ruta Loca Carbon pole

The Cimmeron is slightly larger in footprint from what I can tell but the difference in size is very slight. I like the fact that the HMG has no stretch and won't soak with water.

Enjoy

I recently purchased a Hyperlight Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 in my quest for the best lightest shelter. I won't say to much about it because I havent been out in it yet. But this weekend I got it setup in the backyard since the ground has thawed enough to get stakes in it. Figured Id post some photos next to the SOS Cimmeron. This shelter isn't for everyone as it comes with a price tag of 900$ in the green Cuban Fiber. But Im not even fretting about paying that for this shelter. the weight of the Ultamid 4 with lawson titanium Stakes and Ruta Loca Center Carbon pole is just over 2 lbs. I don't think you will find a lighter weight shelter in this category. My Cimmeron is sticking with me though as I have no plans to put a stove jack into the Ultamid. So I want the Cimmeron for the stove when I plan to use that.

Cimmeron Weight with Pole and stakes

HMG Ultamid 4 stakes and Ruta Loca Carbon pole

The Cimmeron is slightly larger in footprint from what I can tell but the difference in size is very slight. I like the fact that the HMG has no stretch and won't soak with water.

Enjoy

In my opinion, as far as the HMG goes, you won't find a better built, lighter shelter, of that size anywhere, period. They aren't cheap but sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
They say on the HMG site Constructed out of DCF8 Dyneema® Composite Fabrics (formerly Cuben Fiber) So whatever that equates to but yes its the Cuban Fiber material. This stuff has come along ways. not nearly as loud and crinkly as I remember Cuban being in the past. its actually as soft and when I run my hand on it about the same noise as the Cimmeron. Im very impressed with the craftsmanship and how well built this thing is. I agree with Ak I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lighter built shelter that offers this much livable area.

Tod osier

WKR
I like it! I love my cuben flat tarp and have been super happy with it. Let us know how it goes once you use it. The cuben with its non-strechyness will be pretty unforgiving to get a tight pitch, but I'd love to hear otherwise.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So what do you think the Cimmaron would weigh with just those same 4 stakes, the same Ruta Loca centerpole, and subtract the weight of the stove jack?

So what do you think the Cimmaron would weigh with just those same 4 stakes, the same Ruta Loca centerpole, and subtract the weight of the stove jack?
The claimed wt. of the Cimmaron (canopy only) is 36 oz. and my Ultamid 4 comes in at exactly what HMG states, a hair under 21 oz.

d6003766b2e823b8dcf9009fe4a392d5.jpg

HMG Ultamid 4 w/stuff sack, guy lines, 15 stakes (including 8–9" MSR Cyclone stakes @ 10 oz. & 7-6" MSR Groundhog stakes @ 3 oz.)/stuff sack, & Ruta Locura pole/stuff sack.

Last edited:
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Same stakes are used for each weight in my photos difference in weight for the ruta pole and the sos pole is 3 ounces

i use the black diamond pole with my cimmaron, with stove jack and stakes it comes in at 3 pounds 10 ounces, thats with 8 msr stakes, i can go a little lighter with the titanium sheep herder stakes. but that looks like awesome shelter for just over 2 pounds.

Last edited:
That's the pinnacle of lightweight with tons of room. One of those is on my list in the future for sure. That'd interesting to know that the newer fabric is quieter, I like that. Congratulations on a super shelter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That is very similar to the MLD Supermid, 9'x9', .75 cuben fiber, 19 oz., $840.
Similar for sure but I think the HMG is built better. I have a MLD Solomid and the HMG Ultamid 4, and I've also owned a Ultamid 2 and BPWD PyraTent 2 in cuben and the stuff that HMG makes is hands down, better built IMO.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Your packs getting so light, I might have you carry some of my gear in this year! LOL!

I'd pack your gear for you any day buddy hell Ive already packed out your elk. :)

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
That is very similar to the MLD Supermid, 9'x9', .75 cuben fiber, 19 oz., $840.

I will echo what AK says here are some detailed pictures of what makes it so nice

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Same stakes are used for each weight in my photos difference in weight for the ruta pole and the sos pole is 3 ounces

Given the 15 oz different in fly weight and 3 oz for pole, looks like the stove jack weighs roughly 6 oz.

HMG is super nice and my buddy has one but I still am at a place to shave weight elsewhere...when/if I get to that point my next cuben shelter will be HMG....for now still working on my 3 pound 10 oz rifle that shoots 225s at 2400 fps ;)

3lb 10 oz. rifle Luke??? What are the specs on that one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk