What's your favorite tarp and why?

snowplow

WKR
I'm considering selling my tarp and getting something more trim for a bivy setup. What do you like and why do you like it?

Willow

FNG
Still my Black Willow Outdoors Pro Hammock tarp. Large coverage (over 11' ridge line), lightweight @ 1lb., Multicam Epsilon material (my favorite material), cantilever cut for even the worst Alabama weather, and I can still use it as a ground shelter. But a close second is my 5'x9' PERC.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
What is cantilever cut? Is it like the SLD winter haven (also a hammock tarp)? That's what I have.

Willow

FNG
What is cantilever cut? Is it like the SLD winter haven (also a hammock tarp)? That's what I have.
Radius cuts that allow for air to pass through in order to reduce wind resistance and weight.

2ec54132a339db7f4c55b59678942377.jpg

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Kifaru Sheep Tarp - Incredible tear strength - 5' X 9' and only 9 oz . I have one with me 24/7 - Boom - Mich drop!

Lawnboi

WKR
Paratarp because of its versatility. Can pitch it tight to the ground for great coverage or up off the ground. One piece of gear I will never get rid of.

Kifaru Sheep Tarp - Incredible tear strength - 5' X 9' and only 9 oz . I have one with me 24/7 - Boom - Mich drop!

Is it big enough to set up like a lean-to using trekking poles and still fit two people under it to glass?

Sort of a tarp, the MLD SoloMid in cuben fiber. Easy and quick to pitch, complete coverage, easy to access, bombproof, vents well, packs down small, and super light weight. I don't have any experience with any other solo cuben shelters though and I would like to check out and compare it against a SMD cuben Deschutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
For me the SuperTarp is hard to beat because it's so versatile - pitched tight to the ground as a pretty bomb proof shelter, off the ground a bit to allow plenty of air flow but still protect from an evening shower or even way off the ground for an awesome hide shaded from the sun or crap
weather during mid day glassing. Plenty of room for one guy even when pitched tight to the ground yet still light weightat just over 20 oz with plenty of guy lines.

gmajor

WKR
Anyone have experience with the SO dst tarp? I've been eying one for a while.

Yup. It’s nice. Smart piece of kit when it’s august in the alpine as a shelter or when it’s late october and weather can turn on a dime. I carry it when I hunt during the latter.

Bughalli

WKR
Borah Gear... Minimalist Solo tarp, high quality, 8oz and only $49. I wanted something for early fall archery hunts or a backup bivy for any other time. If I recall, when I researched them it was nearly identical to Kifaru's in materials, size and construction, minus two tie down points. Yet half the price. You can even pick the color or pattern. I got mine in camo, on the off chance I wanted to use it as a makeshift blind at a wallow or water hole while elk hunting.
Borah Gear: Ultralight Silnylon Tarps

Jimmy Tarps are nice as well, but more $$. The Cuban fiber material is great for weight and durability, but damn it's noisy in the rain. You wouldn't think a fabric could be "loud" but it is.

Last edited:

DFB

FNG
I'm thinking about a Borah myself. Can you post a pic of yours set up?

Here's my 8x10 Borah Gear. We've used it for a place to sit and eat out of the rain and gear cover when it dumped unexpected snow on us.
50e6fee34e065480088174ecbbebd11b.jpg
bd4ec45ed0ce980c8e3d63ce4001dd2b.jpg
7cc6174817928449d1c0d1abf1e81573.jpg

I've got a GoLite poncho tarp that I take just about everywhere. I have 8 stakes and two small carabiners in the case with it so I can set it up without much issue. It's big enough as a poncho to go over me and my pack. Set up as a shelter is about the size of a sheep tarp.