Massdrop quilt

UtahJimmy

WKR
Wondering if anyone bought this last few times they had it, and had a chance to test it in the field? Looks like they are being made by EE but very little info. There is a review from last spring that I found, but it looks like they've made some improvements.

I'm thinking about getting into the quilt world, and a sub 1 lb, 35° down one for $190 seems like a great starter.

Anyone want to steer me in a different direction?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Interested in this one as well, thanks !

Just read it a little further it come in long but not wide, I need a wide becasuse.... I am wide ! lol otherwise looks like a good deal

Last edited:

Boreal

WKR
Interested in this one as well, thanks !

Just read it a little further it come in long but not wide, I need a wide becasuse.... I am wide ! lol otherwise looks like a good deal

Also interested, and nearly pulled the trigger. I seem to remember when they first described these that they are made by EE, but with a partnership with MassDrop so it isn't the same as EE's other quilts. 58" is the standard width, which corresponds to EE's "wide" in the Revelation. Hoping to see a post from someone who has used one in the field, but once I get something in my head...

Ronb

WKR
Just bought a 20 degree on massdrop for my wife. Comes in lighter than my revelation. Assuming because no zipper at footbox. I didn't use it anyway. 58" was plenty for me. 5-10 175ish. Never used the straps. Loved it. Glad to save some bucks this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
ttt

Is the sewn in footbox a big deal?

Should I get the 35° or the 20° (+$30) for my first quilt?

mvmnts

WKR
Couple things.

EE Standard width is 58" which is the same or more as a wide from other companies, so figure out what you need in inches, not size.

These quilts, as far as I know, are produced by EE and are just available in a few standardized sizes. There is nothing different about them than if you had ordered these specific configurations directly from EE.

There is more discussion of this deal here: Massdrop is offering 20 and 35 degree 800fp quilts made by Enlightened Equipment starting at $200, is this a good deal/value? : Ultralight

I own 3 EE quilts, and I have sold quilts from other companies to replace them with EE. So I am a big fan of quilts and EE in general, although they certainly aren't the only game in town.

I prefer the sewn footbox since I never use a quilt as a blanket in the field, I always want it wrapped around me. It is trivial to kick your feet out of the sewn footbox anyway, so it is a non-issue, plus it saves you weight. Lots of people think they need the snaps, but I think anyone would be fine with the sewn. I would get the 20F over the 35 so that it'll be good down to about freezing. Usually you want a quilt rated about 10F colder than the actual temperatures you'll be using it for. I own a 0, 20 and 40F and that covers me really well in most conditions.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
EE Standard width is 58" which is the same or more as a wide from other companies, so figure out what you need in inches, not size.

On EE site, only the convert and condurum is listed as 58" as regular width. The revelation and Enigma list 58" as the "Wide" model.
I picked one up 20 degree long, figured it would be a good way to figure out if I like quilt style, If I like it I can look to upgrade if needed.

Thanks,
Boswell

On EE site, only the convert and condurum is listed as 58" as regular width. The revelation and Enigma list 58" as the "Wide" model.
I picked one up 20 degree long, figured it would be a good way to figure out if I like quilt style, If I like it I can look to upgrade if needed.

Thanks,
Boswell
The baffles are just like the Convert and Condurum, which is different than the Revelation and Enigma also.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
The baffles are just like the Convert and Condurum, which is different than the Revelation and Enigma also.
Correct, but the foot box is similar to the Enigma. This goes to show that it is specs were requested different than a typical EE quilt. In the drop they mention "We noticed that many people prefer a wider quilt, which allows them more wiggle room to sleep naturally—so we’re making 58 inches our standard width."
None the less its interesting, I am going to happy to cut 2 lbs off my bag and test a quilt for that price. Just hope it makes it before spring turkey season.
Thanks,
Boswell

mvmnts

WKR
Sorry yes, I meant the standard for the massdrop quilt. For guys going from a bag to a quilt, I find that it is helpful obviously to bring a hat or even better just wear an insulated jacket with hood to bed. This boosts the temperature range of your quilt and keeps your head and neck warm, which is where you lose a LOT of heat. EE also has what I feel is the best pad strap system in the business, and using them for me is key in colder weather. I run one strap along my midsection that goes around the pad and then let's you cinch the quilt up under you between you and the pad. It doesn't wrap the entire quilt around the pad, although you can do it that way too, I find that it creates too much of an air pocket and mangles up your quilt. Even with this mid section strap, it's still easy to kick your feet out of the footbox while keeping the quilt tucked in. Then make sure to snap the neck end up and put your head through it and cinch it down pretty snug. Wrap the quilt around your shoulders so that just your head is poking out. This will keep your real toasty all night and will keep it on you even if you toss and turn a little. You can loosen the neck cinch more or less based on how cold it is. Another positive to wearing your jacket to bed is that if your shoulder or arm falls out in the middle of the night, it's still insulated and won't wake you up as easily. There is a small learning curve to quilts, but it's completely worth it.

You can see how the pad straps are meant to work here: Pad Straps – Enlightened Equipment

Boreal

WKR
Well, my new quilt arrived today, and although I haven't had a chance to use it outside, I am really excited about it. First of all, it's LIGHT. I've got some older REI sleeping bags, but the 800 fps down and light fabric are amazing. The open footbox won't be an issue with the drawstring and snap. Looking forward to getting some time in the field this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

krojemann

WKR
I also picked up a 20° quilt from Massdrop. The quality seems top notch. This is my first quilt, so of course, I have a little hesitation switching from a bag. I'm still not opposed to going with a down bag instead, so if anyone reading this is interested in the Massdrop/EE quilt, let me know. It's a long. In the meantime, I'm going to start researching down bags in case I chicken out...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I also picked up a 20° quilt from Massdrop. The quality seems top notch. This is my first quilt, so of course, I have a little hesitation switching from a bag. I'm still not opposed to going with a down bag instead, so if anyone reading this is interested in the Massdrop/EE quilt, let me know. It's a long. In the meantime, I'm going to start researching down bags in case I chicken out...

Man, you already got it, the least you can do is give it a try.

krojemann

WKR
Man, you already got it, the least you can do is give it a try.

I know, I know. I tried it on my pad and it appears to fit like a glove to the point I'm not really worried about drafts. It's just a comfort thing I guess. I can tell you what I love though, the weight and pack size is awesome.

Ronb

WKR
If its comfort your after, you'll love it. I've never used the straps and have not had any draft problems. I bought a massdrop quilt for my wife, cuz she kept stealing my EE. We'll she stole it once. But that was one to many. Keep it! You'll regret it if you sell.