Closed Cell vs Air Pads

JigStick

WKR
Looking to pick up a pad of some type. To use over a Tyvek ground cloth. In conjunction with my base layer and a DIY Rip Stop BY The Roll quilt that Im making. Besides R value and comfort, is there any reason to choose one over the other? Are the air mattresses compress down smaller and take up less space in the pack? How comfortable would a CSF mattress be?

Yeah the light air pads will pack down a lot smaller and are WAAAAYYYY more comfortable. I dont think I could comfortably sleep on a closed cell pad. The inflatables are usually around 3 inches thick once inflated and the closed cell is like 1/2"?

Tsnider

WKR
CSF is going to be lighter, and you cant puncture it. but sleeping on CSF and sleeping on a flat air pad are the same thing if you ask me.
my qcore slx long/wide is 22oz and its huge. sleeping well is too important with heavy exertion day after day.

csf rolls pretty small, but my qcore packs into the size of a nalgene. with some of these pads today im not sure your gaining much as far as space goes.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and use both for different applications. Can't beat CSF for simplicity and bullet proof. After a long day in the back country, I sleep hard so plush comfort of air pad is not always necessary. Air pads are more comfortable and can't beat a neo xlite. Ultra light (12oz), super warm (I used ladies model for extra R value, packs down to nothing. However you do have to blow up (I use a disposal bag and a pop top as a pump sack which doubles as a dry bag) and they can leak or pop but have RARELY had an issue with good quality xlite.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
One of the best pads I've used out there is the Big Agnes Q-Core. It's small, light and compact, yet it blows up to 3.5 inches thick. It's comfy to sleep on to say the least. It's insulated and has an R value of 4. They just redesigned it and I'm testing out the new one. Got an old one for sale if you want to give it a try...

Here's a review on the pad:Backcountry Hunting Sleep System - Big Agnes Q-core SL Sleeping Pad Review Part 1 - YouTube

Good Luck

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
I went to my local REI and tried out a few air pads. That Big Agnes Q Core was pretty nice. the Long Wide version fit me perfectly, and I liked the sides being a little higher than the rest of the pad. It packed down pretty dang small too. They had a poor selection of the Thermarest stuff. Still need to try some more out

WKR
I'm starting to get real interested in that BA Qcore pad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will agree air is generally more comfortable but I generally prefer a combo with a CCF and a small self inflating torso air pad. Comfort and pack size is the big advantage with pure air pads, however I don't care for inflating and deflating them, the tendency they have to slide on sloped ground , and the extra care needed.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I love insulated air mattresses, but every single one I've owned eventually gets some kind of hole or seam separation. In theory you can fix a hole in the field. In practice, the holes are usually so small that you really need to soak the mattress in water to isolate it and then fix it. Usually what happens for me is the mattress develops a leak and overnight it deflates slowly until it is almost flat in the morning. It continues on that way until I can get home and get a good look at it.

Even then, the holes sometimes end up in very hard to repair areas like between the tubes or edge where a patch is not likely to hold well.

I am very careful with my gear, but for whatever reason the batting average I have with inflatables has been pretty bad. Aside from avoiding sharp points, you need to keep the mattress deflated during the day when you leave your tent otherwise the sun can heat it up and over-expand it causing a failure. This happened to people I know and it ruins the mattress. Also, avoiding small pointed debris, thorns, etc. when camping is extremely hard so eventually you're going to get a leak.

Compressed foam is bombproof, but much less comfortable and a lot bulkier. However, you can use it for sitting on casually during breaks, snow, etc.. which you can't do with air mattresses.

When I'm winter camping I take both. The compressed foam goes down first, then the inflatable. This way I have a safety margin if the air mattress goes belly up. I would never take just an air mattress for winter camping by itself. It really needs a backup in case the worse does happen.

In the end, I trust a compressed foam mattress more just because there is nothing to go wrong. But I like air mattresses just in terms of sheer comfort.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the over all sentiment that inflatable mattresses are superior in most aspects except durability to a closed cell pad. Having said that, I have rarely had an air pad spring a leak. I do tend to take both during the winter when I need extra r value.

TheCougar

WKR
Once you go inflatable, you'll never go back. Knock on wood, my BA inflatable pad has never sprung a leak!

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Once you go inflatable, you'll never go back. Knock on wood, my BA inflatable pad has never sprung a leak!
I like your exuberance and generally speaking, would tend to agree with you. I prefer my xlite and xtherm comfort and warmth for sure but have found my self grabbing CSP rolls more often lately for thier simplicity. They are nice to attach externally for quick access to use a sit pad throughout the day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mvmnts

WKR
One of them saves you lots of money, and the other one lets you sleep at night. :D

I've had trouble with inflatables in the past until I went ahead and just bought the best, which I should have done to begin with. Now I sleep like a baby on a neoair xlite. Avoid the newer SV models, they leak at night.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Southern Lights and I have had nearly identical experiences with inflatables (good luck keeping EVERY pine needle out of your tent). The 1st pad I had got a small hole right where the baffles converge near the top and in the field I couldn't even find the hole until I got home and after several failed attempts to patch it, I gave up and bought another. They are WAY more comfy than closed cell foam. That being said, I take a Therma-rest Z-lite and a BA Q-core with me if I'm just going to be gone for a few days and use the Z-lite to protect the BA from puncture and that's worked well for me for several years and the Z-lite is nice for having something to sit on around camp or glassing. If I were going for a long trip, or a through hike, and weight were a concern, I'd take the Z-lite over the BA, just because I know it will work.....and be less comfortable.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm an Exped fan and have several which I use depending upon the condition. I sacrifice a little weight and, in return, get a wider and longer pad that is warm and super comfortable. Pads and quilt/bags are two things I will not be a skinflint about.

I've slept on a rolled mat, it sucked - period. It plain sucked.
Trying air mattresses to get the right one for you begins the struggle, then keeping them air tight is the next struggle. ground perperation is key, but no guarantee either. I thought about cutting my rolled mat to about 30" where my body center section is, as an extra barrier and more padding too. Problem I have is my pack isn't big enough for all the things I need and want together. I'm gonna get it in there some how, the last thing I want is the comfy air pad to spring a leak and leave me w/o any thing. I'm older, and need a great sleep system. I will be taking both some how, like on my meat shelf area for the roll up and in the bag for the blow up.

Billinsd

WKR
I had my gray Q core valve come out on a trip and it would not hold air. I'm getting it replaced under warranty, and want to compare the q core slx and q core deluxe. The deluxe is heavier, but more luxurious and maybe more durable. I'll compare them at the lcoal REI before deciding. I sure did not like sleeping directly on the ground one night. I didn't really sleep at all.

frankrb3

WKR
I'm actually a big fan of the Z-Lite (Closed Cell Foam) by thermarest.

Pros
-Never deflates
-Instant set up and take down
-great for laying out gear or meat
-when folded properly it doubles as a seat cushion
-cheap
-lite
-it will float your pack if you ever end up in the water
-can stand on it when changing socks or clothes

Cons
-not as comfortable
-cant push it (just like how you cant push a chain) into a tent or under a sleeping bag
-usually has a larger footprint when stowed/packed requiring it to be lashed to the outside of your pack.

If you like sleeping on your back, closed cell foam pads really aren't that uncomfortable. But if you're a side sleeper you might notice discomfort around your hip and shoulder.

Keep in mind millions of our service men and women sleep on closed cell foam pads. It's because they are bomb proof and multi functional with almost no time to set up and take down.

Last edited:
I'm actually a big fan of the Z-Lite (Closed Cell Foam) by thermarest.

Pros
-Never deflates
-Instant set up and take down
-great for laying out gear or meat
-when folded properly it doubles as a seat cushion
-cheap
-lite
-it will float your pack if you ever end up in the water
-can stand on it when changing socks or clothes

Cons
-not as comfortable
-cant push it (just like how you cant push a chain) into a tent or under a sleeping bag
-usually has a larger footprint when stowed/packed requiring it to be lashed to the outside of your pack.

If you like sleeping on your back, closed cell foam pads really aren't that uncomfortable. But if you're a side sleeper you might notice discomfort around your hip and shoulder.

Keep in mind millions of our service men and women sleep on closed cell foam pads. It's because they are bomb proof and multi functional with almost no time to set up and take down.

Agreed+

I have several sleeping pads of all brands/types and I usually end up bringing the z-lite. If I want a little more padding and comfort, I'll make an insulation bed out of boughs or grass.