Comfortable Sleeping pad

Tired of searching. I need a comfortable and affordable sleeping pad. I'm 6'1, 210lbs and a side sleeper. Looking for comfort, I will take weight and size penalties for it. Don't need a high R-value, 3.5 - 4.5 should be plenty.

What do you recommend?

I am still searching, but if you ar ok with weight, consider a cot. I bought a thermarest UL cot and have 2 nights on it and its great. I think you could put any pad on it and sleep way better than on the ground.

I just bought a Neoair Xtherm to try out with the cot.

mlob1one

WKR
I love my exped ul synmat 7 in long wide. I move around a lot when I sleep and love these pads. I'm 6' & 200#.

Good luck on the search.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
I'm 6'0", 210 lbs and have been really happy with My Big Agnes Q-Core SL wide. It's proven to be comfortable side sleeping and has good R-Value too.

OP
M
Welp... Just ordered a Big Agnes q-core slx, regular wide. Fingers crossed this will be the one.

Akicita

WKR
Welp... Just ordered a Big Agnes q-core slx, regular wide. Fingers crossed this will be the one.

I think you'll like it. It has higher side baffles that keep you from rolling off of it. One thing I found is to not over inflate it. I usually inflate it tight and then bleed a little air out while lying on my side to where my hip bone comfortably settles into the mattress. I would estimate that to be about 3/4 full or so. . . Also very comfortable when combined with my Tri-Lite cot when I can use it.

Master%20Suite_zpsr6ty6viy.jpg

I run the Synmat UL9 now, but have a Q-Core. Both are very comfortable, but it depends what you like and don't like as to which you prefer. The most comfortable one I have is the Nemo Cosmo Air (I'd get the Astro if I had it to do again) with the 1" memory foam topper, but it's a little on the bulky side and a touch heavier (went with the air to cut down on weight and bulk and rely on the foam for insulation). The Q-Core is heavier, but has side rails to keep you centered if that's a problem for you and it has dimples instead of baffles which some people may prefer. The other problem I had with the QCore is that it was very slick especially on the bottom and I slid all over the tent.

Throughout my testing and trying out of different pads I have found one commonality: integrated pumps suck, stay away they don't work for crap. It's much more convenient and effective to use the pump bags like the Big Agnes Pumphouse (for thermorest style twist valves) or Exped Schnozzle Bag (for Exped style flat valves).

mrgreen

WKR
Some good options listed above. I've tried most of them, including the Luxury Lite (now thermarest) Cot. When I found the Klymit Luxe series (76" X 30" X 3") that was the end of the search. I can't recommend them enough.

Klymit Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad

OP
M
Well. I have one night in on the Q core slx, regular wide. Wish I could provide a fairer review but I spent most of the night sliding down the pad. It was my fault for setting up my tent on a, greater than perceived, slope. However, if you're kids are ever interested in doing some slip and slide games I can recommend some great materials. Other than that obvious draw back, the pad was super supportive. I'm 6'1 and 210lbs and I feel the regular wide was sufficient, the long length might pay off for anyone looking for little extra room on the end.

Now, to deal with this roller coaster of a ride that my bag and pad seem to have together... Anyone recommend a good source to get some of those rubber ducky stick-ons you put on the bottom of the tub to keep from busting your ass?

That was my biggest problem with my Q-Core. It is slick as shit and I spent all night both sliding on the pad and the pad sliding in the tent. I added shoe goo to it to help prevent this.

daron

FNG
A regular sized tent and warm blanket will give you comfort during night after a tiring hike and an exhausting hunt.

IdahoElk

WKR
Tired of searching. I need a comfortable and affordable sleeping pad. I'm 6'1, 210lbs and a side sleeper. Looking for comfort, I will take weight and size penalties for it. Don't need a high R-value, 3.5 - 4.5 should be plenty.

What do you recommend?

I'm a side sleeper and have tried just about all the pads,nothing worked until I got the Exped Mega 12,now I sleep like a baby!
We're talking 4.7" thick x 30" wide of deep sleep goodness,Ha!

[video=youtube;gQ1STIbfJug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1STIbfJug&spfreload=10[/video]

Last edited: