0 degree Mummy Sleeping bag suggestions

270quest

WKR
What do you got for suggestions? Synthetic or Down? Brand? I need to purchase for my upcoming BC moose hunt. I would like to keep it lite as to use for future possible sheep hunt, but also not ready to spend 5-6-$700. Was thinking of a budget max of th $250 range.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Hard to find a reliable, light 0 degree bag for cheap. What's your idea of light? Kifaru Slick Bag just under $400 would be a good choice.

I would personally watch Ebay, Rokslide classifieds and other sources for either a lightly used Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag. As soon as you said "sheep" the game changes and light physical weight gets critical. Goose down is the only practical way to stay (sheep) ultralight and be warm down to zero or less. Very good used bags show up often and I would have no problem buying one that met my needs.

Although not a 0 degree bag. I just picked up a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag for 1/2 it's original price on geartrade.com. Buying used is the only way I can afford good stuff, within my budget.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

atredmon

FNG
I ordered one of these yesterday...Anxious to see how she works. It is early enough that if I don't like it, I can return and find something else to try.
I have their 30* Summit down bag. I am very impressed with the quality. I used it camping this winter a lot and I stayed plenty warm in base layers when it got down to 18* I'm going to order their 0* bag soon.

Gobspur

FNG
I just picked up the Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z - 5 degree bag. Its synthetic, 3 lbs 15 oz, and pretty good reviews. Not the lightest but very good for a synthetic. On sale for $167.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used many to compare. But after using the kifaru slick bag I don't see how I could want anything else. The bag made me want to purchase the lost parka.

Chaska

FNG
I can't comment on what is out there now since I have been using the same 2 bags for about 30 years now, but I would advise you to go with a synthetic fill for two reasons. They provide more padding which can compensate for a thin pad, they perform better when damp, and where you are going after a few days moisture will probably be an issue. Down is great for warmth to weight but if that is not essential, synthetic is better and cheaper in my experience.