Subzero quilt?

I am looking for a -20* LW quilt. Who makes this? Not EE. I usually pack my 0* quilt as I sleep better and my muscles recover better when I sleep toasty warm. And they vent so I don't fry. But even with a 30, 20, 10 & 0 degree bag I am feeling unprepared for a deep freeze kinda cold and want one more quilt. Ideas? (No...I will not go back to a bag.)

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I would rather not hafta pack two quilts. Too much weight and space.

twall13

WKR
I'm sure there are some who could custom make one, hammockgear.com might do a custom order, so would locolibregear.com, though they have a pretty long waiting list at the moment. Wildernesslogics.com might be another to check with. I don't know of anyone making a quilt rated for those temps that isn't a custom order but I could be wrong.

As was mentioned above, I double my quilts up in really cold temps. If it's that cold I'm willing to pack extra weight to stay warm. For me the cost is not worth the couple of ounces in weight savings to buy a new quilt that I would only use very rarely. The few times I've doubled up my 15° and 45° quilts it's been surprisingly effective.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Honestly, I'm a huge proponent and lover of quilts but I still have bags for when it starts to get silly cold. For me, quilts are great when it's "warmer" and I may need to vent some excess heat or move around in the night. I just find that when it starts to get really cold, I'm hibernate more when I sleep and I don't get as hot either. So, I'm more comfortable in a mummy style bag that I usually hate with a vengeance.

Also, when it's "warmer" I can use a quilt and keep on a beanie and even some gloves to fight a little extra chill. However, when it's zero, I still find that I either have to wear heavier gloves and hats or some use the down hoodie things. But, at that point a bag might be just as easy and the same weight as all the extra stuff. Just something to consider as well.

Anyway, if you do get a -20 quilt, make sure you report back on how you like it in that cold of temps versus a regular bag.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Could you ask EE to overstuff a quilt to get you down to -20?

Nope. I asked. Here is their reply:

Hey Bruce,
Unfortunately we are unable to do a -20. the lowest temperature rating we can get with a Revelation is 0. We can go as low as -10 with the Convert. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Nick
EE

While I am aware of the options (dual quilts, sleeping bag) I am looking at a hunt that's at 10-11,000' for a week. I'm 57 yrs old and live at the beach. The thin air and steepness of the mountain range I'm considering requires a no frills/no snivel gear...ounce-cutting mindset.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I'm a huge proponent and lover of quilts but I still have bags for when it starts to get silly cold. For me, quilts are great when it's "warmer" and I may need to vent some excess heat or move around in the night. I just find that when it starts to get really cold, I'm hibernate more when I sleep and I don't get as hot either. So, I'm more comfortable in a mummy style bag that I usually hate with a vengeance.

Also, when it's "warmer" I can use a quilt and keep on a beanie and even some gloves to fight a little extra chill. However, when it's zero, I still find that I either have to wear heavier gloves and hats or some use the down hoodie things. But, at that point a bag might be just as easy and the same weight as all the extra stuff. Just something to consider as well.

Anyway, if you do get a -20 quilt, make sure you report back on how you like it in that cold of temps versus a regular bag.

I agree with colonel on this one. I have been using quilts for a few years now and like them way more than my bags, but I wouldn't use a quilt if I knew the temps were going to be under about 0*.

Clarktar

WKR

I agree with Brad here. I will use my quilt for scouting trips and early hunts or anytime night temps stay above 15 degrees (quilt, down hood, usually pair of shorts and merino top, xtherm) but anything lower and I am grabbing my versalite.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
HG says no too. Just got this email:

Good afternoon Bruce,
Unfortunately at -20 degrees we would recommend using a mummy bag. Those temps can be dangerous to any exposed skin. We've made -20 degree underquilts before, but that's a whole different ballgame when you're on the ground. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Interesting to note that i am requesting a -20* quilt and everyone instantly assumes i'm gonna be in -20* weather. Maybe I just wanna warmer quilt!
I guess I'll DIY it.

colonel00

WKR
Well, what do you expect them to assume? If they are going to make a -20* quilt then they can only assume that it would be intended for use in -20* temps. You might try asking about a 0* quilt with as much overstuffing as possible and see what temp rating the manufacturer thought it would get it to.

HG says no too. Just got this email:

Good afternoon Bruce,
Unfortunately at -20 degrees we would recommend using a mummy bag. Those temps can be dangerous to any exposed skin. We've made -20 degree underquilts before, but that's a whole different ballgame when you're on the ground. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Interesting to note that i am requesting a -20* quilt and everyone instantly assumes i'm gonna be in -20* weather. Maybe I just wanna warmer quilt!
I guess I'll DIY it.

Because most guys use a -20 degree whatever for its intended temp range. guys are not asking for -20 degree bags or quilts to use when its 10-20 degrees outside.

You could probably say, i sleep insanely cold, and i use a 0* degree quilt when its 30* outside. he may also be limited to the amount of stuffing he can get in his design.

why don't you use puffy jacket and pants as a supplement? might give you a little more versatility as well.

colonel00

WKR
why don't you use puffy jacket and pants as a supplement? might give you a little more versatility as well.

Yeah, I was thinking about it and if you are going to be hunting in those temps, you are already lugging in some pretty heaving clothing. If you sleep cold, are you typically colder during the day too? When I did a bison hunt in Jackson last year it was -10-20* and I was wearing the Kryptek Aegis set along with full layers of other clothing. That would be a lot of clothing to lug up a mountain but I'd definitely be sleeping in it in those temps because it would just be too cold to be changing all the time.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Yeah...been there-done that. it's okay for an emergency but i dislike sleeping in my puffy gear. Feel it breaks em down (compression) and fills em with scent.