2 man and Cimmeron

Wojo14

WKR
I am trying to narrow down my new floorless shelter.
I looked at them all and I am leaning towards a Cimmeron or a custom one from live2hunt.
I need some advise to those who have them.
Is the Cimmeron roomy enough for 2 hunters, gear and a stove?
I want as light weight as possible, stove capabilities, standing room to dress, and room for gear.
Possibly spend a week in it.
I don't like to be crammed, but I also want packablity and weight low.
I want to make the right purchase once.

I know, I know, I want my cake and eat it to!

~Wojo

Wojo14,

I bought a Cimarron(Med stove bundle) in December and have used It on two separate trips totaling ten nights. Both times it was myself and one other person and my Yellow Lab w/ our backpacking gear. It has the room that is needed and does not feel cramped especially compared to a two man tent I used solo. I personally love it so far. The only thing that wont fit your bill is the center height is 70ish inches so standing up to get dressed probably wont work to well. I heard the 4 man Tipis are better for that. Also if you search Cimarron on the Rok you will find tons of pictures with all the floorless shelters with gear to give you an idea. I am actually pretty sure that every other forum is about something Cimarron related. Lol. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are really short the Cimarron will not be tall enough for standing room. It will fit two guys, gear, and stove no problem though. I have one and used it last fall as a solo shelter but I had tons of extra room by myself. If you want standing room and plenty of space I'd go with a 6 man tipi or possibly the redcliff.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I am not worried about standing per say.
Laying down in a dome tent to get changed sux tho.
6 man might be too bulky and heavy in pack for me right now...
~Wojo

Stickinit

FNG
I am not worried about standing per say.
Laying down in a dome tent to get changed sux tho.
6 man might be too bulky and heavy in pack for me right now...
~Wojo

I have the Cimarron (Med stove bundle) also, and have run it with 2 guys and gear. I'm 5'9" and can stoop to put my pants on with no problem.

FYI...I'm from Pgh, and moved out here to Montana last year.

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
Although you can't stand up inside the tent, because the zippers go all the way to the peak you can tie one door back and stand within the tent to get dressed. All in all great tent

Last edited:

Akicita

WKR
I am trying to narrow down my new floorless shelter.
I looked at them all and I am leaning towards a Cimmeron or a custom one from live2hunt.
I need some advise to those who have them.
Is the Cimmeron roomy enough for 2 hunters, gear and a stove?
I want as light weight as possible, stove capabilities, standing room to dress, and room for gear.
Possibly spend a week in it.
I don't like to be crammed, but I also want packablity and weight low.
I want to make the right purchase once.

I know, I know, I want my cake and eat it to!

~Wojo

What is your expectation regarding light weight?
What is your expectation for roomy enough?

My expectation for "light weight" shelters is anything under 5 lbs.
My expectation for roomy is that I can still maneuver without breaking something with 2 guys, gear, stove, fuel, center pole and tipi sides.

My expectations for a 1 to 4 person hot tent were met by the Seek Outside Redcliff

TentWeight_zpsmadmtlrb.jpg

Sunset_zpsaic2bapc.jpg

I would think the 4 man from SO would work well too. It will provide you with a little more headroom and plenty of room for two with gear. I originally was going to go with the Cimarron but decided to go with the 4 man because I wanted a little more room for when my kids tag along (w/o stove) and think the 4 man would be a better fit with youngsters. If you accustomed to the room of light weight backpacking tents I don't think either one would be a bad choice.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought the King size Tut from live2hunt, the tent, 16 stakes, carbon pole(extends to 88") and 2 stuff sacks weight 3 lbs 7 oz. The center tent height is 82-86 inches. The first time I set it up in my yard it took 9.5 minutes. I think I'm really going to like this setup.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cimmeron & have only used it solo - my only complaint is the height. I like the weight, footprint, ease of setup, two doors.

If I was going to be using for 2 on a regular basis, I would step up in size to redcliff or 4 man.

Depending on where you hunt, you will need to be careful about space to set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I bought the King size Tut from live2hunt, the tent, 16 stakes, carbon pole(extends to 88") and 2 stuff sacks weight 3 lbs 7 oz. The center tent height is 82-86 inches. The first time I set it up in my yard it took 9.5 minutes. I think I'm really going to like this setup.

Yes, I like that one he makes. Its the one on the custom shelter thread?
You test it in the elements?
~Wojo

My buddies and i all run cimmarrons great for 1 or 2 with gear, but if you want to stand i would suggest the seek outside redcliff at 6'10 height,but the weight jumps up to 4 pounds 14 ounces with poles and stakes

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, I like that one he makes. Its the one on the custom shelter thread?
You test it in the elements?
~Wojo
Not yet. He had mine set up for a day or two in 30 mph winds and did good. He's encouraging me to get it in some nasty weather. I have no doubt he will stand behind his craftsmanship.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depending on how much gear you have, two people and a stove is the max you can fit comfortably. If you want a stove option the Cimarron is I think the best choice. If you don't plan to run a stove, or you want something slightly lighter, the Silvertip or LBO are good options. And FWIW, I'd get a large stove. Only slightly heavier, but easier to keep a fire going in.