Feedback from longterm thermarest lightweight cot users

of course it depends how mature (old) you are. I remember as a kid ,i just slept on the ground Mohican style.
I just got my litecot and really like it

CCH

WKR
I'm a short time user of the TR version. The added comfort is huge for a guy of advancing years with back issues. However, they show a "light" set up for backpacking using fewer poles and I don't recommend it if you weigh much - or your buddy does and you let him use it. Mine had to go back for some cross pole replacement. Set up is sort of a hassle that you forget about it once you lay on it. I have the large, mesh version which is a bit heavy for backpacking -- more of a basecamp/trailhead deal. Didn't know about those coasters, they could definitely help when rocks are in short supply.

WKR
Helinox users here. Well worth the pack-in for longer trips. I found I can store a lot of stuff under those few inches.
f4ba78a2f7726cb9a4e82fdde992d3ad.png
Tyvek bivi bags?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
Guys,
I picked one up from Cabela's with my points. This has been on my wish list for a while. I picked the 25" wide model with the mesh top and a higher weight rating as I weigh 250#. I finally got to test it in January in a floor less shelter.

Assembly was tough, only finding 5 cross braces in the kit. I think 2 or 3 more properly located would make a big difference in weight distribution. Ended up tearing the top where it hooks on to the plastic feet. If equipped with additional cross members it might have been OK. I have yet to return it or request any repair items. While toped with a X-therm 20" wide insulated pad it was pretty nice once I got settled. Pretty comfortable overall and I slept warm. I planned on using this for canoe camping or extended spike camp use, where I could justify the weight and bulk. If breaking camp and moving daily, it would not be worth the trouble IMHO. Need to contact the manufacture and get there input.

LaGriz

Guys,
I picked one up from Cabela's with my points. This has been on my wish list for a while. I picked the 25" wide model with the mesh top and a higher weight rating as I weigh 250#. I finally got to test it in January in a floor less shelter.

Assembly was tough, only finding 5 cross braces in the kit. I think 2 or 3 more properly located would make a big difference in weight distribution. Ended up tearing the top where it hooks on to the plastic feet. If equipped with additional cross members it might have been OK. I have yet to return it or request any repair items. While toped with a X-therm 20" wide insulated pad it was pretty nice once I got settled. Pretty comfortable overall and I slept warm. I planned on using this for canoe camping or extended spike camp use, where I could justify the weight and bulk. If breaking camp and moving daily, it would not be worth the trouble IMHO. Need to contact the manufacture and get there input.

LaGriz

This is the Thermarest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyvek bivi bags?

Yes sir. They have worked great for me. I use the tyvek 1443r which is what they use to make tyvek clothing. It's already soft. Breathes really good so no condensation problems from the inside
It’s real easy to construct a simple bivy by folding a sheet over lengthwise, sewing one end and side. I just use tyvek tape instead of sewing. Once the tape is on it's not coming off !!! I then put a tarp zipper on the other side and I'm good to go. I even made a pocket on the inside that my sleeping pad slides into.

WKR
Nice, might try some of that stuff. My old mountainsmith bivy is like sleeping in a plastic bag.

Do any thermarest luxurylite ultralight cot users bottom out? I got mine in the mail today, set it up with all poles, and my lower back/butt hit the bottom. I'm 205lb....it's rated for over 300. Any ideas?

If you use all six sets of feet with one crossbar you'll bottom out. I almost bottom out and I'm about 180. Try going with four sets of feet and doubling the crossbars.

If you use all six sets of feet with one crossbar you'll bottom out. I almost bottom out and I'm about 180. Try going with four sets of feet and doubling the crossbars.

Glad to hear you are nearly bottoming out and it's not just me . I did try it with 2 "twisted" crossbars, and still bottom out (just barely---basically my butt touches the cross bar).

Haven't tried it with a sleeping pad yet. Maybe that will help

Last edited:
They are just little aluminum poles. If they were any beefier that cot would get heavy quick. I sleep on my side so I don't really notice it much.

WoodBow

WKR
I'm 180 and run mine with no twisted braces. I bottom out very slightly depending on how i lay. It is a non issue when using a pad. I can't even tell i'm touching the ground unless i put my hand under the cot.

I've read that they're a little noisy. Any comments?

Also- I'm a big guy, 6'4" 220, anyone use the helinox max cot?

I am 6'5" and about 280lbs. The max cot works really well for bigger guys. I have about 30 nights on it now and always sleep better than when I am using a pad on the ground.

LaGriz

WKR
AK Troutbum,

Yes my cot is the Thermarest brand. Can one of you guys maybe post a picture of the double crossbar configuration you are discussing? Going forward I need to contact either Thermarest or Cabela's and get the parts to repair the cot. Of course I want to configure it to work correctly. If it is bottom's out for a 180 pounder it may prove to be a waist of time.

LaGriz

FYI, the thermarest cots are on sale in the REI gearage right now. 20% off the lowest price and free shipping with the code MemLove20 through April 10

1760yds

FNG
I returned my Thermarest cot. Giant pain to set up, shoulders and hips touched the ground if I tried to sleep on my side. Butt touched if I slept on my back(6'2 230lbs). Also very noisy. I bought a Helinox cot and couldn't be happier. It's a comparable weight, more comfortable, way easier to setup and take down, less parts, in my opinion just better.