Feedback from longterm thermarest lightweight cot users

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about getting the thermoarest lightweight cot. Was curious if any users had feedback positive or negative?

I don't have any personal experience other than my hunting buddy buying one and taking it to Kodiak with us a few years ago. After watching him set it up and using it for that trip, I was sold on the whole cot idea, so I went out and bought a UL Helinox cot. I bought the Helinox because I watched my buddy set up the Thermarest, and didn't want to put myself through that anguish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used the thermarest extensively over the summer, sleeping on it four to five nights a week from 30 May to 22 August.

I really like the cot, but setting it up can be a bit of a pain. The helinox is way easier. You can't really go wrong with either one, as it's a personal reference.

In a pack, the thermarest is a bit tricky, the two long poles are irregular compared to the cross section poles so it's uneven to pack, if that makes any sense. However, it does ride well in the side pockets of the Kifaru timberline series packs and the Exo packs.

When setting it up, try to set it up outside the shelter, when possible, then bring it in. Way easier.

I've used a thin air pad and didn't care for it. I usually just through my super woobie over and go to sleep, but if it's cold enough, I'll climb into my bivy.

The feet on the cot will sink into snow and mud so be aware of that. A piece of tyvek or an old thermarest mat helps.

I hope this helps.

I bought my LuxuryLite Ultralight Cot years before Therma-a-Rest bought them out. I think I've had it 8 or 9 years and it's still going. One of the best pieces of gear I own. I agree it's not a picnic to assemble but the reality is about 5 minutes of fiddling and it's ready. Considering it hasn't failed me once in all the years I've owned it, I'll be staying with it. The Helinox cot looks nice too. BTW... believe I noticed a new foot design for the LL-TR cot. I also know TR sells a set of coasters which can be added to the feet and will stop them from sinking in soft ground. I usually seem able to scout up some flat stones to use for that if necessary.

I'm under the impression that a air mattress is still needed, in cool weather like late sept elk hunting. So the cot is a big weight penalty. Is it really THAT much comfortable than an air mattress alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose the answer depends on several factors. How far will you carry it in? Base camp use? Spiking? Good ground to camp on or rough, wet rocky? Floorless shelter or not?

Mine always goes. Sleeping elevated just 4" helps stop pressure points. Forget the rocks, knobs, roots and whatever aggravates a guy at night. Sleeping pad is protected from punctures. I don't think of my cot as a weight penalty or excess luxury. To me it's become a basic essential in all but the most severely spartan camps. It does make a big difference in the quality of my sleep. I top mine with a good insulated mat and together they produce incomparable comfort which...for me...IS that much more comfortable, especially on long-duration hunts of 10-15 days in the backcountry.

OP
Pierrebuiltknives

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my LuxuryLite Ultralight Cot years before Therma-a-Rest bought them out. I think I've had it 8 or 9 years and it's still going. One of the best pieces of gear I own. I agree it's not a picnic to assemble but the reality is about 5 minutes of fiddling and it's ready. Considering it hasn't failed me once in all the years I've owned it, I'll be staying with it. The Helinox cot looks nice too. BTW... believe I noticed a new foot design for the LL-TR cot. I also know TR sells a set of coasters which can be added to the feet and will stop them from sinking in soft ground. I usually seem able to scout up some flat stones to use for that if necessary.

I spoke with Bruce the inventor the other day. He is pretty cool. I got a little of the history.
I have a army cot I used since cudscouts which is a super pain to setup. It is falling apart. Having camped for a long time I have many pads. I have been using a hammock for backpacking and camping but under 0'f regardless how much insulation my face keeps me up. I decided to do the stove/tipi thing after one guy this winter had a hammock hottent in -20f and was sleeping like a baby.
I decided for 10'f and under for me I want a tipi stove a s cot.
The easy of asswmbly of the helinox also looks like it could be a down fall. I prefer the concept and engineering of the lightcot as even if some component fair it is still funstional.

It seems like overall they are robust from the reports here. I get a rei dividend theu the cc but dont really buy anything from there anymore but manybe this is the item I will purchase.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I suppose the answer depends on several factors. How far will you carry it in? Base camp use? Spiking? Good ground to camp on or rough, wet rocky? Floorless shelter or not?

Mine always goes. Sleeping elevated just 4" helps stop pressure points. Forget the rocks, knobs, roots and whatever aggravates a guy at night. Sleeping pad is protected from punctures. I don't think of my cot as a weight penalty or excess luxury. To me it's become a basic essential in all but the most severely spartan camps. It does make a big difference in the quality of my sleep. I top mine with a good insulated mat and together they produce incomparable comfort which...for me...IS that much more comfortable, especially on long-duration hunts of 10-15 days in the backcountry.

I have the PRE-TR cot as well. For all the reasons above, it always goes in my pack for multi day trips.

WKR
I've read that they're a little noisy. Any comments?

Also- I'm a big guy, 6'4" 220, anyone use the helinox max cot?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is helpful. I've developed some back issues over the last few years, and I've been wondering if the cot could make our upcoming 14 night backpack elk hunt a little nicer.

What pad are you guys putting on a cot? I have a thermarest xtherm that is 2.5" thick.....too much for a cot?

Thanks!

Johnboy

WKR
This is helpful. I've developed some back issues over the last few years, and I've been wondering if the cot could make our upcoming 14 night backpack elk hunt a little nicer.

What pad are you guys putting on a cot? I have a thermarest xtherm that is 2.5" thick.....too much for a cot?

Thanks!

I use the XTherm MAX in size large, which is 25" wide, with the Helinox Lite Cot (23.6" wide). I found that a pad that's narrower than the cot causes my shoulders/arms to rest on the cot rails, which is not comfortable. The size-L XTherm is 25" wide, which covers the rails and solves that problem. It's an extremely comfortable combination.

Access Denied

Access Denied

WoodBow

WKR
I recently bought a luxury lite and used it on a trip. It was awesome. Very noisy at first but it breaks in pretty quick. The assembly is a piece of cake if you ask me. I do not build the torsion bars. I run all singles. I prefer it that way.

Thanks!

You don't need a lot of thickness to achieve enough padding on a cot. 2-1/2" would be enough as long as the insulation in it works for the temperatures you're sleeping in. I'm using a 3.5" Downmat 9 LW and it's seriously thick...warm. I've also used an X-Therm Max and it offered enough thickness for good comfort. I sold my X-Therm because it was just too incredibly noisy for me. I have never noticed any excess noise from my cot...LuxuryLite.

I quit using an air pad, I don't feel that I need it, but that's me. I sleep just fine without, whether it's 70 or 10 out.

Helinox users here. Well worth the pack-in for longer trips. I found I can store a lot of stuff under those few inches.
f4ba78a2f7726cb9a4e82fdde992d3ad.png

Last edited:
Conventional thinking has it that a guy needs to eliminate every unnecessary luxury, paring gear down to absolute essentials and nothing else. There are definitely times and places for that, but also there are plenty of situations which allow for a guy to bring along a few pounds of gear that aren't definitively 'needed'. If I was carrying camp on my back every day I likely wouldn't be found with my H chair or cot or Downmat or a number of other luxuries. For a straightforward pack-in and out hunt (or a plane drop) lasting enough days, I'll put up with the weight for the comfort I get. Part of my other gear choices (and expenditures) were made to save substantial weight which does allow me to bring a cot and a chair to some camps.

If forced into a decision I would leave the chair and bring the cot...mainly because I only use my chair when sitting in the tent. It's a really useful and comfortable item for me, but not quite as important as my cot which sees a full 8 hours of use every night.