Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: DIY Tipi

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Quote Originally Posted by 530Chukar View Post
    I exchanged an e-mail or two this past week about the possibility of a XL silpoly option and was told there's going to be a pre-order for this coming on the website in the next few days.
    Here are the specs. They put it on the website:



    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  2. #42
    Senior Member 530Chukar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter15 View Post
    Here are the specs. They put it on the website:



    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Awesome. I'm going to order some today. Planning a Tut clone but using the XL fabric to make it a little bit bigger than the 100"x100".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 530Chukar View Post
    Awesome. I'm going to order some today. Planning a Tut clone but using the XL fabric to make it a little bit bigger than the 100"x100".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could do close to 140"x140". With a 79" pole height from REI (13oz) you'd be roughly 30,000sq in, which translates to about 30 ounces + 13 = 48oz total weight give or take with sewing.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  4. #44
    Senior Member realunlucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eastern Utah
    Posts
    5,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    The xl give more options to put seams

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  5. #45
    Senior Member 530Chukar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter15 View Post
    You could do close to 140"x140". With a 79" pole height from REI (13oz) you'd be roughly 30,000sq in, which translates to about 30 ounces + 13 = 48oz total weight give or take with sewing.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I drew something like this up in sketchup this afternoon and then chalked it out on the garage floor. Didn't realize how big 140 x 140 would actually be. Pretty massive. In addition the pitch came in way too low with the 79" pole. Back to the drawing bored for something a hair smaller.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 530Chukar View Post
    I drew something like this up in sketchup this afternoon and then chalked it out on the garage floor. Didn't realize how big 140 x 140 would actually be. Pretty massive. In addition the pitch came in way too low with the 79" pole. Back to the drawing bored for something a hair smaller.
    I'm confused by what you meant with your 2nd statement. You should be able to make it fit any size center pole you want right?




    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southwest Colorado
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    IS the tut basically a square tipi? I wonder how such a big wall will do in the wind? You could make this really affordably with the new XL fabric because the two triangles that make up each wall could be cut and sewn from the same piece of fabric.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    IS the tut basically a square tipi? I wonder how such a big wall will do in the wind? You could make this really affordably with the new XL fabric because the two triangles that make up each wall could be cut and sewn from the same piece of fabric.
    Yes, the tut is just a square tipi. Pros: faster setup, less stakes, more vertical walls/usable space, straight lines work better with long items like sleeping pads. Cons: not as good in severe weather as a round design. Like you said, the design is also very simple from a DIY perspective.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bowhunter15; 03-30-2017 at 01:39 PM.

  9. #49
    Member hunterandprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent info, you guys. Keep it coming.

    Back from Spring Break trip with the kids. Countdown to summer and tipi-building season has begun.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you settled on the material and your dimensions? I'm looking forward to what you come up with. Maybe I need to measure out 11' square on the ground, too. I want it nice and big, but obviously there can be a "too big"...particularly when you're carrying it on your back.

    Jeremy

  11. #51
    Member hunterandprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaning toward the 1.6 PU4000 for material. The roughed-in dimensions put the base around 13' x 13' and I need to decide on height. I use Sketchup for design, then will comp a scale model or two.

    I'm really not too concerned about the final weight. I'm using it to shelter a minimum of 3 guys +gear, and a maximum of my wife and me +3 boys. Almost any other option is going to add up to more weight, and I'll hoss a few extra pounds to provide the experience a tipi brings to the backcountry.

    My initial design could be crazy, but it factors in using the max width of the fabric roll, then I'll divide a length of roll into two triangles. This ends up with a 10-sided tent with very little wasted material.

    I just picked up a couple huge projects, so I'm slammed through the end of May. I'll try to work in the design before then so I can get it posted for feedback.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •