DIY Tipi

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I exchanged an e-mail or two this past week about the possibility of a XL silpoly option and was told there's going to be a pre-order for this coming on the website in the next few days.
Here are the specs. They put it on the website:

2781238e8e89d1e9299136e224462a19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
Here are the specs. They put it on the website:

2781238e8e89d1e9299136e224462a19.jpg

Awesome. I'm going to order some today. Planning a Tut clone but using the XL fabric to make it a little bit bigger than the 100"x100".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. I'm going to order some today. Planning a Tut clone but using the XL fabric to make it a little bit bigger than the 100"x100".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could do close to 140"x140". With a 79" pole height from REI (13oz) you'd be roughly 30,000sq in, which translates to about 30 ounces + 13 = 48oz total weight give or take with sewing.

530Chukar

WKR
You could do close to 140"x140". With a 79" pole height from REI (13oz) you'd be roughly 30,000sq in, which translates to about 30 ounces + 13 = 48oz total weight give or take with sewing.

I drew something like this up in sketchup this afternoon and then chalked it out on the garage floor. Didn't realize how big 140 x 140 would actually be. Pretty massive. In addition the pitch came in way too low with the 79" pole. Back to the drawing bored for something a hair smaller.

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I drew something like this up in sketchup this afternoon and then chalked it out on the garage floor. Didn't realize how big 140 x 140 would actually be. Pretty massive. In addition the pitch came in way too low with the 79" pole. Back to the drawing bored for something a hair smaller.
I'm confused by what you meant with your 2nd statement. You should be able to make it fit any size center pole you want right?

75fd922b2c778c147ce20fb6e079cba9.jpg

b81db071f16d7d8a6e179a0651dce00e.jpg

IS the tut basically a square tipi? I wonder how such a big wall will do in the wind? You could make this really affordably with the new XL fabric because the two triangles that make up each wall could be cut and sewn from the same piece of fabric.

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
IS the tut basically a square tipi? I wonder how such a big wall will do in the wind? You could make this really affordably with the new XL fabric because the two triangles that make up each wall could be cut and sewn from the same piece of fabric.
Yes, the tut is just a square tipi. Pros: faster setup, less stakes, more vertical walls/usable space, straight lines work better with long items like sleeping pads. Cons: not as good in severe weather as a round design. Like you said, the design is also very simple from a DIY perspective.

Last edited:
OP
hunterandprey
Excellent info, you guys. Keep it coming.

Back from Spring Break trip with the kids. Countdown to summer and tipi-building season has begun.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Have you settled on the material and your dimensions? I'm looking forward to what you come up with. Maybe I need to measure out 11' square on the ground, too. I want it nice and big, but obviously there can be a "too big"...particularly when you're carrying it on your back.

Jeremy

OP
hunterandprey
I'm leaning toward the 1.6 PU4000 for material. The roughed-in dimensions put the base around 13' x 13' and I need to decide on height. I use Sketchup for design, then will comp a scale model or two.

I'm really not too concerned about the final weight. I'm using it to shelter a minimum of 3 guys +gear, and a maximum of my wife and me +3 boys. Almost any other option is going to add up to more weight, and I'll hoss a few extra pounds to provide the experience a tipi brings to the backcountry.

My initial design could be crazy, but it factors in using the max width of the fabric roll, then I'll divide a length of roll into two triangles. This ends up with a 10-sided tent with very little wasted material.

I just picked up a couple huge projects, so I'm slammed through the end of May. I'll try to work in the design before then so I can get it posted for feedback.

Broadzk

FNG
Hunterandprey..... any updates on your project? I'm debating on the 1.6oz silpoly or 1.6oz HyperD PU4000 for my tipi. Just curious what you went with.

bushman

FNG
Just saw this thread, been thinking about making a teepee style shelter much like the ultamid by hyperlite mountain gear with dyneema . Anyone make any tarps or tents with this stuff. I have a few roll top dry bags made out of it. Extremely lightweight and waterproof.
Cool thread guys!