DIY Tipi

Hey all - I'm preparing for the Fall, and I'm seriously considering building my own tipi this summer, a la Kifaru 8-man-style. I've read several articles and posts about others tackling this endeavor, and I think I have at least the basic skills to get it done. If not, my wife is a great safety net! My primary reason is that I want the satisfaction of having built my own shelter.

I'll log the story and post info, unless it sucks and I give up. :)

My biggest challenge is I've never used one or been able to explore one in person. The approach to most of the tailoring is self-explanatory, while other items might not even come to mind. Specifically, I'm curious about:

1. The cone at the top. Does anyone have photos of how theirs works? I have ideas for materials, but I could be way off.
2. The guyline pulls. I'm thinking of sewing these right into the main seams. Any photos out there?
3. Supplies. I've looked into Bear Paw Wilderness Designs, Ripstopbytheroll.com, DIY Gear Supply... Any recommendations on good suppliers for materials?
4. I plan on a stove and will add a stove jack.
5. Any items/features you wish yours had that I can think about customizing? If it works out, I plan to add a half-nest.
6. Any other tips, other than "don't do it?"

The first real application will be my dad, my brother and me on a first-season rifle hunt in Colorado.

Thanks for any tips and feedback!

WKR
I've got a couple smaller projects and then I'm building my modified megamid this summer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it was me I'd put the guy outs in the center of fabric section. You'll be able to get more adjustment on how tight the structure is and take small construction flaws out of each piece with the guyline tention

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted a bunch of pictures when I built my sawtooth knockoff I'll see if I can link it up here. Biggest problem for me was managing the extra fabric on pieces already sewn together while working on a different seam. Fitting it though the machine tiny hole can be a chore

WoodBow

WKR
I designed mine with 45 degree walls. To create my top cot I cut a circle out, marked off a 90 degree pie wedge, folded the sides of the slice together and sewed it in that position. Does that make sense? I then just sewed it to the top of tipi. I just used a couple layers of 500d cordura and I see no reason so far not to do it the same way again.

I have no guy lines on mine. For my design they are not necessary and would only require more stakes and more tripping over lines.

Good luck. It is a large under taking. $1000 starts sounding cheap.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-...sted-proven.html?highlight=tipi+tested+proven

Last edited:
OP
hunterandprey
This forum is the best.

Realunlucky - Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to checking out your tipi project.

Woodbow - Your tent gives me a lot of confidence. It looks incredible! Your approach to the top is exactly the idea I had, but wasn't sure about the best material. Very helpful!

reaper

WKR
f27b21f96caa040644cb460e78ee6cf5.jpg
9fa03f96c3efac702a20a886d741f3fc.jpg
0b5dc7354960edaddbcf3318285d601d.jpg

I sewed the same inside the shelter.

64d2c78e04c3e2d0fc2acaa1c4a8e1a5.jpg

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
hunterandprey
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I'm working on my material list and want to get specific. Any advice on the best places to get the fabric?

I've researched Bear Paw Wilderness Designs, Ripstopbytheroll.com, DIY Gear Supply, eBay and some other general retailers for small stuff.

Thanks again!

WoodBow

WKR
I'm a tight wad by nature. I bought the cheapest ripstop I could find on ebay that was the color I wanted and was listed as waterproof. It is PU nylon rather than silnylon. Time will tell if I made a poor choice but so far it has performed awesome. Labor is by far the largest investment in a tipi build so I could understand a guy wanting to use great quality materials.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who've made a tipi, did you incorporate cat curves into the design? If so, how much curve did you put in and how long was the seam? I'm ultimately wanting to take on the project but was unsure if cat curves would be necessary...

Hunterandprey, looking forward to what you come up with. I've heard of most of the same suppliers you've got listed, including seattlefabrics. I'm not really sure if one is better than the other-I haven't ordered anything from them yet. A friend who made some hammocks used ripstopbytheroll and really liked them.

Jeremy

WoodBow

WKR
I suggest you do NOT us cat cuts. They will ruin your ground seal and allow a hefty draft. I used cat cuts on a winter tarp I made. I wish I had not. They only serve the purpose and making it pitch a little tighter and prettier.

OP
hunterandprey
Hey guys - Thanks for chiming in. I've added Seattle Fabrics to my resource list. I'll start figuring it all up, then it will back over to Sketchup to work on the model. Probably some more practice with silnylon stuff sacks this week. :)

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I suggest you do NOT us cat cuts. They will ruin your ground seal and allow a hefty draft. I used cat cuts on a winter tarp I made. I wish I had not. They only serve the purpose and making it pitch a little tighter and prettier.

Thanks for the info. When you say ruining the ground seal, do you mean you can't get the bottom edges flush with the ground if desired? Is that for cat cuts on the bottom edges or would that also include cat cuts to the main four vertical seams, as well? I have a buddy who loaned me his commercially made tarp and it has cat cuts on the edges and now you've made me rethink making a tarp that way. I'm guessing with silpoly (less stretch) and extra, well placed tie outs, that may keep poor pitches/flapping in the wind from happening? And that would probably play a role just the same in a tipi, as well... I did a fair bit of reading over the weekend on silpoly vs silnylon and the poly may be what I go with when it's time. Which may make cat cuts a non-isssue.

Don't want to derail the OP's thread. Hopefully the info is useful to others, too...

Jeremy

WoodBow

WKR
I am referring to cat cuts along the edge that is on the ground. Cat cuts in the main panel seems would be a bad idea in my opinion. It would cost you space inside and be more difficult to sew. I would add tie outs if you are concerned about good tension, but i habe found them to be totally not needed. I based a lot of my design around kifaru.

OP
hunterandprey
Thanks for the hijack, Jeremy! Haha.

From what I can tell in my research, I agree on not having cat cuts for the tipi. I have seen several examples of where they seem to make sense with a tarp, but I'm glad they don't help much with a tipi. It's enough work as it is!

Woodbow, did you ever add anything inside, like a floor, nest or netting?

WoodBow

WKR
Thanks for the hijack, Jeremy! Haha.

From what I can tell in my research, I agree on not having cat cuts for the tipi. I have seen several examples of where they seem to make sense with a tarp, but I'm glad they don't help much with a tipi. It's enough work as it is!

Woodbow, did you ever add anything inside, like a floor, nest or netting?

I did not. But I do have a plethora of loops sewn inside to give me options if I ever decide to.

BTW, anyone running a tipi without a luci lantern or similar is missing out. They are awesome in a tipi.

Beendare

WKR
Tipi fabric; I would use the Silpoly over the Silnylon. The Silnylon has more stretch which equates to sagging.

Then depending on how light you want it either the .93 Silpoly .93PU 4000, 1.1oz, 1.1PU 4000 all #1 quality from Ripstop by the roll. IMO, Considering the labor involved [a lot!] I would use the highest quality fabric as you only want to do this once.

I would reinforce top cone with 210 dyneema or 500 cordura. The tieouts I would use 1.7oz dyneema ripstop reinforcements.

That Sketchup program is the bomb for a project like this. I did my big tent on the free trial....I wish I would have designed a couple others while I was at it. Sketchup will tell you all of the dimensions for your pieces- big advantage.