Floorless or not to Floorless...

Wojo14

WKR
I am still on the fence on weather to purchase a floorless shelter.
I never used one. I have used dome tents in the past down to 30degrees. It was obviously cold outside the bag.
I would love to have a heat option, but not sure if I could get into the floorless Idea.
I know I sound like a wimp, but I like the security feeling a nice dome tent gives me. Plus keeping dry.
I plan on doing some fall hunting in the back country of WV and PA this year and CO sept 2018.
I guess I could always sell the floorless If I don't like it....
~Wojo

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
You speak as if a floorless is going to make you get wet. Nothing can be further from the truth. It has its advantages and also disadvantages. So you need to weigh your options. if you hunt in a very bug heavy area then the tent is the way to go. if you have super Saturated ground then yes a Tent would be the way to go. Otherwise its a fantastic option. Ive used floorless the last 3 years on many trips and never had any issues staying dry. But you only know what works for you so Id say if your curious and have the funds go purchase a Mountain LT Tent. Its 85$ so you wont be out a whole lot if you dont like it and it resells pretty well.

As someone who has spend countless nights in a tent in that part of the country I would say floorless with a nest if you want to use a stove, or a tent if you don't.
Unless bugs and Ticks don't bother you.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
In PA and WV bugs and ticks can get bad. Even in Fall.
I assume CO would be different in Sept as fast as bugs go? Is CO dryer?
We are planning on going next Fall to CO. Up around Steamboat Springs.
~Wojo

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
In PA and WV bugs and ticks can get bad. Even in Fall.
I assume CO would be different in Sept as fast as bugs go? Is CO dryer?
We are planning on going next Fall to CO. Up around Steamboat Springs.
~Wojo

You are correct. We dont have as bad of a bug issue up here. we do still have issues though on the Western Slope usually Spring and Summer. The Mysquitos are bad there.
Colorado Rain storms are quick storms usually 20-45 min rain fall them sun. we normally see Rain in the afternoons. We have had some bad storms though that last for days but more often then not its a quick cool down shower here or there.

HZJ73

FNG
False dichotomy...

You could have a floorless tent and use an inner net with a floor. Check out the MLD Duomid/Solomid for example.

Personally I like floorless because then I can get in and then take off my shoes.

My setup is having a Duomid and then a Solomid inner, so that I still have floorless space for muddy shoes, wet crap, etc. Plus it's lighter.

Being a flatlander from OK with a dislike for bugs and mosquitos.... I'm convinced the floorless tipi with stove is the only way I'll spend time in CO chasing elk. Was skeptical at first and had to try it myself before I would believe how awesome floorless shelters (with and without a stove) can be when high in the mtns looking for game.

In OK I will have to use a bug bivy with my tarp or tipi or a full tent because of the bug and tick issues we have but in CO I won't go back without my tipi and and stove.

Walker6

FNG
Not sure about WV in the fall, but floorless in sept in CO is the way to go. Just don't set up in a spot that'll have water running through it when it rains.

Jimss

WKR
I live in Colorado and also hunt Wyo, UT, NV and quite a bit in Alaska. One option you may want to consider is a 4 season tent. I use the fly off my 4 season tent for early season hunts and add the tent plus fly for late season hunts in the West and Alaska. I use a piece of painters plastic for the floor which can be cut to size and only weighs a couple ounces. I don't really like going totally floorless because I don't like dust, mud, and crud getting all over my sleeping bag, pad, and gear. My 4 season tent of choice is Hilleberg Nallo 2 or 3. There is gob of room with the vestibule available to cook and store gear. The fly plus painters plastic and poles only weighs around 2 1/2 lbs....and is bomber-proof! It's nice buying 1 tent that I can use for early ultra-light trips or for trips where I may run into deep snow, hurricane winds, and torrential rain!

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I think there needs to be a sticky that goes something like this ...

Hey, east coast / midwest / south guys ... using a floorless shelter doesn't automatically mean 1. you're going to drown 2. bugs are going to get you

I only say this because I had some of the same initial concerns and when I looked around on this site I noticed that so did everyone else from east of the Mississippi River. Some are (somewhat) valid, but after buying a Sawtooth and using it for several years I've not looked back. I can't see myself going to a conventional floored tent again. My kids are getting a little older and will start traveling with me and if they are freaked out I'll just get a nest to go it for them.

Buy a Kifaru or Seek Outside...if you don't like it the resell value here or other forums is almost 100% of your money back.

The op mentioned liking the security of a dome tent. I'm the exact oppisite, when I'm in a dome or floored tent I feel like I'm in a sandwich bag for the big bears. Wether it's false security or not I like having the option of rolling out under the back of my shelter if something if sniffing around the front. :)

If you're gonna have a titanium stove inside, you want floorless. Just use Tyvek where you sleep and it is your floor, barrier and comfort. The wood pile and stove need to be on ground any way. If there is no stove, you could still go floorless. I have had dome tents and had bugs, water, condensation, and a messy floor- who hasn't? In the woods, the stuff just gets in. I have never had a dirty floor in my floorless tipi.
:)

Get it, like you said, it resells quickly, but you wont be selling it, you will be using it. the Tyvek makes a great floor and you feel just like you have a real floor where you need it and not where you don't.

I'll just add my voice to the chorus. I went floorless in 2008 and haven't camped any other way since then. Nothing is perfect but I really prefer floorless for hunting. So many reasons for that. None of my previous concerns were ever justified.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys.
I will never know unless I try it!
I will be ordering a Cimmeron.
~Wojo

Wojo, it's not that easy
Now you have to decide do you really want the Cimm or maybe the Redcliffe. What about Kifarus Sawtooth or their 4 man? Deciding you want a floorless simply opens the door to a much bigger room of opportunities and choices. I changed my mind several times, came close to hitting the order button a couple different ones before I finally got the Redcliffe. At $800 on average it's not a simple question, unless your wallet is endless.

Then you gotta decide if you want the half liner, the bug net, them to seam seal it or you do it your self. Then the fun begins

Then the elk drop

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
last fall I received an invite to go on a backpack trip.
Me being the FNG & old guy to the group, they being non hunters. Funny, FNG at 60 years old.
Anyway during camp set up, they saw my Kifaru Paratipi, floorless and laughed. I was quite the butt of their jokes.
then 2nd night storm blew in; heavy wind, rain, sleet... you name it, the weather dished it out all night long.
next morning their dome tents, tarp covered were in quite an array. One BA tent blew over, another Coleman dome suffered broke poles.
I was snug, warm (as I had my small Kifaru stove), well rested and most important, DRY.
another plus, upon camp pack up the 3rd afternoon, I was packed up in 1/2 time of theirs. And my paratipi was much cleaner than their shelters...no floor.

Looking forward to my new Tut tent. have a Bear Paw single bug nest for it, pretty nice.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Okay so I'm also considering floorless. My main concern is that there tends to be a fair number of rattle snakes where I hunt. I really like that they can't just slide into my tent while I'm sleeping. Anyone else using floorless in snake country?

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Okay so I'm also considering floorless. My main concern is that there tends to be a fair number of rattle snakes where I hunt. I really like that they can't just slide into my tent while I'm sleeping. Anyone else using floorless in snake country?

Ya, good question.

~Wojo