Which temp rating Enlightened Equipment quilt?

FURMAN

WKR
I am getting ready to order a quilt. I am currently using a Sierra Designs Cal 6. I love the bag just looking to save more weight. I have never been too hot in this bag. I usually just sleep in my merino base layers. I know some guys can sleep in 0 degree weather with a 20 degree bag but that is not me. I am, however, wondering if I could get away with a 20 degree and maybe sleep with my Kuiu down on. I am nervous about sweating in my clothing though. Any input would be appreciated. I need a setup that will keep me warm, at least, into the lower 20s. Thanks in advance.

Felix40

WKR
I have a 20 and I have slept in it down to 19 without being cold. That was wearing a chama and no pants. I do kind of wish I had a 0 though because its super easy to vent a quilt and the exra weight is pretty small. I think any colder than 19 and i would be wearing base layer bottoms and a puffy to stay warm. Youll just have to see what works for you. Some guys get cold in quilts but i think they are using them wrong.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 10 degree and have had it down to -5 and was plenty warm. I wish I'd have got the 0 though for the same reasons as felix.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You said it right in your post. Some guys can do 0 in a 20 and some guys cant. For temp you cannot trust what others say. Take what you use now and try to figure it out from there. I would caution on the warm side. With a quilt you can always open it up to let out heat.

Mike7

WKR
My advice, after listening to some people who quilts didn't work for, would be to get the quilt at least a size wider than you were planning. It is very little extra weight and gives you room to add clothing, and then to wrap the edges of the quilt under you in cold weather. And get the apex hoody that EE sells, for temps under 25-30 degrees. I think you will not likely have a problem sleeping down to the quilts rating if you take these steps. And the hoody is great for glassing, if you like to wear a hoodless puffy as I do.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
All of you have said what I expected most would say. I will go ahead and get the 0 degree that way I am covered and if I ever get hot just open it up. Thanks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I started with the 0 degree, then thought I'd save some weight for summer trips and archery season and got a 20. I froze in it in July on my Xtherm. So sold it and still happy with my heavier 0.

Like everyone else has said, I went with the 0° quilt. I've had it down to 16 and felt like it could easily handle much lower. For warmer nights it's easy enough to vent.

Tsnider

WKR
im 6'1 and just got a 10 degree in long/wide. the size is perfect in my opinion. cant say for the rating yet, but i got a 10 for archery season. id rather have the warmth. things only weight 25.6 ounces.

I have a 0 EE wide and sleep on a down pad R5 value. I was worried about being cold in archery or possibly a later season hunt. Like others have said it's easy to vent but it's worth the extra couple ounces in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I just ordered a regular, 0 degree, wide, Enigma. I was going to get a Conundrum but decided to save the weight and go the full quilt route.

1signguy

WKR
I like a 20 degree cushion for my quilts. It's not as big a deal when on the ground but if you ever try a hammock you will need the extra loft. I second the extra width too. It sucks to wake up with cold air coming in from the side!

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 20 and sent it back for extra down fill, after getting cold a couple times last year in September. It's a 10 degree now.

If its not too personal would you care to share how much this cost ???? I have an older 30 (pre downtek) and wish it was a 20 or 10 lol .

cheers