Alaknak tent bought - what stove?

I pulled the trigger on a 12x12 Alaknak tent with vestibule. Now trying to decide what stove to put in it. Cabelas has their camp chef stove, but thought I'd check here.

Walker6

FNG
I'd look at Four Dog Stoves. I've got one I use when I go wall tent. They perform as advertised.

Is that what you meant? A woodburner? The Cabela's stove you mentioned looks like a gas cookstove.

OP
Elkfitness

JigStick

WKR
I have the Cabelas Bighorn 3 with Vestibule, an use a Four Dog Stove in it. It can roast you right out if you want. It damps down nicely, and has good burn times. Built like a tank. I also have the side table and water jacket. It sure is nice having "on demand" hot water.

steveo

FNG
I have a 12x12 alaknak and use a 3 dog stove. Stove's by 4 dog all have a baffle so it limits the sparks that damage your tent. My 3 dog will cook you out of the tent.

Grundy53

WKR
I have a 12x12 alaknak and use a 3 dog stove. Stove's by 4 dog all have a baffle so it limits the sparks that damage your tent. My 3 dog will cook you out of the tent.
Mine is a three dog also. Plenty stove for the 12x12 Alaknak

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
Elkfitness,

I have owned the same tent since 09 and have had good service. Have the "hunter" model cylinder stove with 3 gal water tank and warming tray. If I had it to do over again I would go for a 3-dog stove. If you typically use stock to pack your camp, I would look for a 4-dog Titanium DX model. I don't think they are available right now. I would like to up grade to one myself. Nothing wrong with my present stove, as I have had good service with some good long burn times. Depends a whole lot on the wood being used. Damp it down for the night and you should be good thru to your 1st pee break. LOL!

LaGriz

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
The Stove I got with my Davis Tent setup is great! It keeps the tent warm and holds heat for a while! I added a pellet burner on there too. Makes it warm during the whole night and makes it easy to fire it back up in the morning. Check them out: davistent.com

OP
Elkfitness
Appreciate the info on Davis tent. I went over today and met with them to look at stoves. Impressed with their operation. They were very kifaru like if you've been behind the scenes at kifaru. Got a nice tour with no pressure. I'm returning my Alaknak and going with one of their wall tents and stove. Thanks again.

Last edited:

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the info on Davis tent. I went over today and met with them to look at stoves. Impressed with their operation. They were very kifaru like if you've been behind the scenes at kifaru. Got a nice tour with no pressure. I'm returning my Alaknak and going with one of their wall tents and stove. Thanks again.

They are awesome to deal with. I had a buddy burn paper in my stove (DON'T EVER DO THAT) and it but some good burn holes in the top (didn't put the fly on either). Davis had it fixed in no time and was cheaper than they quoted me. Pretty hard to beat. Their cots are awesome too and their cot pads!

I've had a 14x16 for about the last decade and have worked pretty hard to get my system dialed in. Let me know if you have any questions as you go... The guy who had an alaknak in our camp, now has a trailer to sleep in. That material didn't keep the heat in worth anything.

Good Luck!