sleeping pad size

cvsetter

FNG
Starting to get gear for my first western trip.just got a used bag, and starting to look for a sleeping pad.not a huge guy, average 5'10 and 190lbs. Was thinking reg. Length wide.quite abit of price jump when you go to a wide or long.is it worth the extra cost over the regular length?

mlob1one

WKR
It totally depends on how you sleep. I toss and turn, 6' & 200#. For me the long wide is absolutely worth the price differential. Good luck on the hunt for a pad. I'm a fan of ExPed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

DaveC

WKR
Starting to get gear for my first western trip.just got a used bag, and starting to look for a sleeping pad.not a huge guy, average 5'10 and 190lbs. Was thinking reg. Length wide.quite abit of price jump when you go to a wide or long.is it worth the extra cost over the regular length?

If you won't have the time or inclination to get used to sleeping on your pad out in the field, then investing in something massive to best mimick your bed at home is $ well spent.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
The Number one thing I noticed when going from regular to long/wide (as a stomach sleeper) was that my arms stayed on the pad. I'm not a big guy at all (5'10 and 145) and I recently went to a long/wide Big Agnes Q-core SLX. It's been worth the extra cost, weight, etc. for a much better night's sleep. Here's a video I did on the q-core: Backcountry Hunting Sleep System - Big Agnes Q-core SL Sleeping Pad Review Part 1 - YouTube

Just my thought.

The cost of a poor night's sleep in the back country can be something you'll feel all year long... A good night's sleep in the backcountry is priceless.

Tsnider

WKR
The Number one thing I noticed when going from regular to long/wide (as a stomach sleeper) was that my arms stayed on the pad. I'm not a big guy at all (5'10 and 145) and I recently went to a long/wide Big Agnes Q-core SLX. It's been worth the extra cost, weight, etc. for a much better night's sleep. Here's a video I did on the q-core: Backcountry Hunting Sleep System - Big Agnes Q-core SL Sleeping Pad Review Part 1 - YouTube

Just my thought.

The cost of a poor night's sleep in the back country can be something you'll feel all year long... A good night's sleep in the backcountry is priceless.

been watching your videos, good informative stuff! i couldnt agree more with the qcore slx. expensive but its as much of a game changer as having a stove in the tent in my opinion. you will seriously sleep on that thing like your at home. if you get that pad, no matter your size i do think you need the wide pad. how narrow the standard size is defeats the purpose of having a pad that thick. i couldnt sleep on the one i had in my living room, so i sold it and got the long wide and now its incredible. i sleep as good in that thing as i do in my rooftop tent on my toyota that has a memory foam mattress.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
been watching your videos, good informative stuff! i couldnt agree more with the qcore slx. expensive but its as much of a game changer as having a stove in the tent in my opinion. you will seriously sleep on that thing like your at home. if you get that pad, no matter your size i do think you need the wide pad. how narrow the standard size is defeats the purpose of having a pad that thick. i couldnt sleep on the one i had in my living room, so i sold it and got the long wide and now its incredible. i sleep as good in that thing as i do in my rooftop tent on my toyota that has a memory foam mattress.

Thanks for the support. Just trying to make the info easily available to everyone...

Thanks again!

geriggs

WKR
I always recommend getting a wide pad....no matter you size. The weight penalty isn't that significant and it makes a huge difference to me

Tsnider

WKR
Where did you acquire a memory foam mattress for your RTT?

Most of them come with it them. My upgraded model even has the anti condensation mat. I did some reviews and boosted his sales so he upgraded me to the new model! But the old one had memory foam as well.

OdinDesigns

accbb6fe89215323fe4c55d1dca689e9.jpg