Kuiu summit refuge

20D ripstop is the material. Not strong enough. Kuiu will never come close to matching the strength of Kifaru or Hilleberg. It's actually careless for kuiu to come out with something that cannot weather what the top two companies can in regards to extreme weather. I expect this shelter to be discontinued soon.

AndyB

WKR
20D ripstop is the material. Not strong enough. Kuiu will never come close to matching the strength of Kifaru or Hilleberg. It's actually careless for kuiu to come out with something that cannot weather what the top two companies can in regards to extreme weather. I expect this shelter to be discontinued soon.

I did an overnight in a 15d sil/nylon SL3 as I wanted to test it out before I crossed the pond. It hailed all night with gusts approaching 60mph according to the weather, didn't sleep a wink due to the noise and I also thought the tp was going to shred and myself and it were going to head skyward. Granted the sl3 is a better shape for shedding wind but I was really pleased with its performance.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Hell most ultralight tents are going 12 and 15d ripstop. MSR is using a 10d on the fly light. Heir twin sister shelter (the same concept as the summit refuge) uses a 30d fabric, most likely because the tarp is built for the application. My point being, Kuiu markets ultralight and is going to error on the side of light vs strong. Their 20D fabric isn’t all that burly, but it is stronger than you see many of the 3 season tent market using. I would agree based on my experience that a 20d PU Coated fabric isn’t going to hold a candle to what Kifaru or Hilleberg uses. But I don’t think it was the intent of Kuiu to come out with a shelter to market against kifaru or hilleberg strength - their storm star tent maybe so, but again, they sacrifice strength for factory seam taping.

I’ve asked them why, and they always respond to keep up with production demand and sell a ready to use product.

They’ve had that fabric out in shelters for a while now, so I don’t think I’d call it a careless product launch, I’d say they are sticking with what they know, for better or for worse.

I think it’s awesome that they at least try, gives options to choose from made by a hunting company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a 3 season shelter maybe it will do ok. However, a stove jack could be placed. You know what that tells me? Kuiu is intending for it to be used in cold conditions. So, let's say a storm whips up and snow or heavy rain/hail come down. Would you have complete confidence it would perform and not cave in? I wouldn't. I also realize that kuiu is thinking of weight regarding this and everything they do. When it comes to shelters and being protected from the elements I will eat the weight penalty every time. Hence, why I hold hilleberg and Kifaru to such high regard.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
As a 3 season shelter maybe it will do ok. However, a stove jack could be placed. You know what that tells me? Kuiu is intending for it to be used in cold conditions. So, let's say a storm whips up and snow or heavy rain/hail come down. Would you have complete confidence it would perform and not cave in? I wouldn't. I also realize that kuiu is thinking of weight regarding this and everything they do. When it comes to shelters and being protected from the elements I will eat the weight penalty every time. Hence, why I hold hilleberg and Kifaru to such high regard.

Totally agree - and I think it shows them chasing sales more than functionality, but that’s just my opinion. I’m with you on shelter strength, one hail storm will teach you that lesson :)

Care to explain what its not strong enough for?

Before I rip kuiu here I do own several pieces and they're great. Now, I will care to explain why it's strong enough for me. Do you have children? If not, I know you have/had parents. Let's say your loved one needed a shelter and the weather had the potential for turning rough. Would you honestly let them use this product in bad conditions? I sure as hell wouldn't. I don't even like hillebergs 1000 kerlon. I go kerlon 1200 and 1800. Kifaru fabric is on another level as well. Jason wants this to be used as a mountain shelter. It's called a summit refuge! Are you kidding me? Has he not learned his lesson before with terrible tent designs? To me this is irresponsible and someone will die if they decide to use it in "mountain conditions". Care to dispute? Go test it for yourself in bad conditions and let me know how it goes. All I know is that someone will get hurt from having this shelter. Do you think Bo Hilleberg would give this shelter a thumbs up? That's what I thought.

jolemons

WKR
Before I rip kuiu here I do own several pieces and they're great. Now, I will care to explain why it's strong enough for me. Do you have children? If not, I know you have/had parents. Let's say your loved one needed a shelter and the weather had the potential for turning rough. Would you honestly let them use this product in bad conditions? I sure as hell wouldn't. I don't even like hillebergs 1000 kerlon. I go kerlon 1200 and 1800. Kifaru fabric is on another level as well. Jason wants this to be used as a mountain shelter. It's called a summit refuge! Are you kidding me? Has he not learned his lesson before with terrible tent designs? To me this is irresponsible and someone will die if they decide to use it in "mountain conditions". Care to dispute? Go test it for yourself in bad conditions and let me know how it goes. All I know is that someone will get hurt from having this shelter. Do you think Bo Hilleberg would give this shelter a thumbs up? That's what I thought.
Advertised as a 3 season shelter that is roomy and lighter weight. I think it will fit that description. I got in at a good price point by funding it through Giru. After my limited experience with it, I'm not convinced that it's worth retail to me for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR

Ok, thanks for the response. I guess I was asking if you had any type of failure personally with any 20d shelter. Either way from your response I can see our levels of risk tolerance are different and that is fine. I also don't think anyone in their right mind would compare this shelter to a hille as its basically just a tarp and that is just a ridiculous comparison. I do have experience in this style of shelter and in very bad mountain conditions for around 20 nights and while I would never call it comfortable I found it quite capable of handling heavy wind/rain and light snow when fully guy'd and rock anchored. No I don't know Bo so I cannot comment on how he feels about a competitors tarp.

Yeah, I’m a little curious also. Seems like a reasonably priced shelter for moderately bad conditions - an entry level floor less shelter with a stove jack.

JNDEER

WKR
thought I would bring this back up to see if anyone who has purchased the tent found a good stove that will work for the tent?

jolemons

WKR
I used one in a Wyoming blizzard this year. I left it pitched during the blizzard while i was hunting. It held up very well. Knock off the snow, tighten line locks and it was good to go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk