Rookie - Floorless with a Stove

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
Congratulations on your decision and purchase. I'm sure it will be a great combo.

I am yet to push the Buy button for my stove, but I think I have decided on one.....until I change my mind again!

Thanks, and I definitely hear that on trying to decide. I finally just had to hit the button and stop thinking about it. I was bouncing between 2 or three and ended up on that one. Good luck! I will try and jump back on this thread with pics when it all comes in.

Tsnider

WKR
last year the second weekend of archery me and my buddy got wet and cold and broke. the first day of the weekend was hot like the weekend before. then it rained, then a heavy thunderstorm rolled in across the mountains and started snowing, sleeting, and shitting on us. we retreated to the tent that evening but never fully dried out. then the cold stayed put through the weekend and by the end of the next day we broke and decided to head back the next morning. it sucked. for now on i will take the stove no matter what. the cold could have been beat, all the wet clothes and gear couldnt have been until another 2 days after we left when the sun finally came out.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Best advice is to use it and see what you like and don't like. Out of the box that tent is going to perform very well.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the input guys.

I watched that Gritty Bowman podcast, which in-part finally pushed me over the edge to jump in. I realize that camp site selection is a huge priority to help mitigate the condensation. Any advice on using the stove? Is it as easy as getting it burned in and just setting it up? Am I just over thinking it?

I was thinking the nest would only be needed when camping in Texas, as ants and such are not welcomed guests.

Missed the stove question earlier, but the SO stoves are pretty simple to use. Set it up in your backyard and burn it in and I'll bet it will all be pretty intuitive. As long as your chimney flu is secure to the stove and you aren't burning anything weird you should be fine and won't have to worry about embers.

If it helps, I've never heard of anyone having embers come out of the chimney and burn a hole in the tent. And good luck on the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
last year the second weekend of archery me and my buddy got wet and cold and broke. the first day of the weekend was hot like the weekend before. then it rained, then a heavy thunderstorm rolled in across the mountains and started snowing, sleeting, and shitting on us. we retreated to the tent that evening but never fully dried out. then the cold stayed put through the weekend and by the end of the next day we broke and decided to head back the next morning. it sucked. for now on i will take the stove no matter what. the cold could have been beat, all the wet clothes and gear couldnt have been until another 2 days after we left when the sun finally came out.

This is very similar to our 2016 hunt, except it was wet the whole time. It ended up raining/sleeting on me 3/4 of the 6 mile hike in. It will be going with me for sure this year.

Brad@Argali, thanks for the advice and note on the embers, probably wont be an issue, but paranoid still...until I start using it.

Also, just got the stove and the tent just shipped!! Like Christmas in April. Can't wait to get it set up and build some confidence with it.