Shelter/Rain Gear - Kodiak in Aug

Jon Boy

WKR
Looking for some suggestions on recommended single person shelters and rain gear for Kodiak Island in Aug. I'll be doing a fly in deer hunt Aug 11-18 there. I'm preparing for heavy rain and praying for sunshine!

I have little experience with needing an extremely water proof shelter. I currently am running a floorless tarp/bivvy set up but am assuming floorless is not recommended for the conditions I may encounter? I have a terra nova zephorous tent but have not tested it in heavy rain and don't really think Kodiak is really the place to test it.

Also, doing the majority of my hunting in central MT, I don't even own rain gear. I could care less about the brand or color. Just looking for good quality rain gear that works. Light weight is nice but not definitely not necessary.

For people that have done this hunt or similar, what would you recommend and why?

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
August isnt too wet in Kodiak, its the wind that will be your enemy. A decent double-wall tent will do just fine (i.e.. Big Agnes, Cabelas, MSR, etc.). Also be prepared for a large temperature fluctuation. Temps can range anywhere from 75 during the day down to 30 at night. Bugs are pretty bad too that time, even at 2000'+ elevation if theres little wind.

For rain gear, as long as its durable you will be fine. Kodiak is infamous for its alders that will poke holes in just about any material. I used Kryptek Koldo when I lived there, but also can't go wrong with rubber stuff like Helly Hansen Impertec or Grundens Neptune.

Have fun with the bears :)

I've been using a floorless shelter on Kodiak for the last 5 years now and have encountered some pretty severe storms without any issues until last year when everywhere turned into either running or standing water. I also had a 4 season traditional tent that I pitched when things got really bad but it made no difference, I ended up wet. As far as rain gear, I currently use (and have been using for the last 3 years), Kuiu. Chugach initially, then bought a set of the Teton's last year for my alpine UL gear and just recently picked up a set of Yukon's for heavier duty bushwhacking. So far I really like the rain gear the Kuiu makes but I've yet to use the Yukon. I wouldn't be too concerned about bears, as early in the season that you're going, you'll more than likely want to be up at alpine since that's where the majority of the deer will be. The bears should, for the most part, be down low on the salmon rivers.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted a few years ago in Kodiak (September) in a floorless mountain headwear tent and that withstood what i thought was a pretty severe storm. unfortunately my bivy shifted and I ended up sleeping in a puddle. but it was nice being able to cook inside the tent, not that I recommend cooking in your tent in bear country, but they seemed pretty preoccupied with the all you can eat salmon buffet.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah wind wind .... and more wind. When its still.... you will wish for wind! Bring a headmet for sure. Treat a set of clothes with permerthrin.

I had my cabelas 6 man with fiberglass poles busted up in that early season 90 mph gusts- but with alu poles duct tape all pole crossings and guy'd out will work.
You want sturdy, low profile or solid/ tested tent.

We did have bears find our deer carcasses... one was 2 hrs later- which was surprising as we were up high.

I've bumped those bears bushwhacking through the thick alder choked draws with beds that looked like a small crater. If bowhunting you need a backup, I used to carry a shotgun with my bow strapped to my pack but now i pack my .44.

Floorless could be a problem if you have to pitch over tundra ground. Some drops have limited good spots to setup. You will find spots orhers used just hope there isnt a bunch of crap buried there.

I use either Kuiu raingear or HH impertech. Its a great deer hunt, tthat time of yr those deer stick out like a turd in a punchbowl!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I was really happy with my Sawtooth up high last August. I'm pretty hard on rain gear so I just took my trusty Sitka StormFront and it was great. Bears...I saw a LOT more of them than I thought I would. Mostly sows and cubs. I had a theory that they were staying up high out of harms way or to take a break from the big males??? The one big male I saw was on the move and I figured he was just going to another stream; the shortest distance between them--mountain or not--was what he looked to be taking.

I was really happy with my Sawtooth up high last August. I'm pretty hard on rain gear so I just took my trusty Sitka StormFront and it was great. Bears...I saw a LOT more of them than I thought I would. Mostly sows and cubs. I had a theory that they were staying up high out of harms way or to take a break from the big males??? The one big male I saw was on the move and I figured he was just going to another stream; the shortest distance between them--mountain or not--was what he looked to be taking.

There were a lot more bears up high last year, even into late Sept./Oct. but the salmon returns were pretty poor last year for most, if not all, of the island. That was probably one big factor for them not being concentrated down on the rivers that time of year. But last year was hopefully just an anomaly and not a sign of the times to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Hilleberg makes bomber-proof tents but they are expensive. I use Sitka and Marmot Precip. I've gotten several Precips from Sierra Trading for around $50 each using discount codes. A pair of Helly Henson would be nice for around camp and when you aren't doing a lot of hiking. Gortex waders can be pretty nice if crossing a bunch of creeks....and you are pretty much waterproof up to your armpits....but not fun to hike with for many miles. What ever rain jackets you decide on make sure you buy them with pitzips or you will get wet from the inside out! It may be a good idea to bring a backup pair of raingear. Last year I mtn goat hunted in the Misty Fierd country where it was thick, wet, jungle country getting up to the goats. I pretty much wore my under-ware and helly hanson coveralls because it was sopping wet. Once I got above the jungle I switched over to my Sitka raingear.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
I've been using a floorless shelter on Kodiak for the last 5 years now and have encountered some pretty severe storms without any issues until last year when everywhere turned into either running or standing water. I also had a 4 season traditional tent that I pitched when things got really bad but it made no difference, I ended up wet. As far as rain gear, I currently use (and have been using for the last 3 years), Kuiu. Chugach initially, then bought a set of the Teton's last year for my alpine UL gear and just recently picked up a set of Yukon's for heavier duty bushwhacking. So far I really like the rain gear the Kuiu makes but I've yet to use the Yukon. I wouldn't be too concerned about bears, as early in the season that you're going, you'll more than likely want to be up at alpine since that's where the majority of the deer will be. The bears should, for the most part, be down low on the salmon rivers.

Was hoping you would comment on this AK. If you don't mind I'd like to PM you on some other gear decisions and all around knowledge of Kodiak when I get a little closer to leaving.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
What are your guys' thoughts on a down bag for this hunt? I have WM Badger that I run with a TI goat bivvy and dont particularly want to get another bag specifically for this hunt. However, I will if need be.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What are your guys' thoughts on a down bag for this hunt? I have WM Badger that I run with a TI goat bivvy and dont particularly want to get another bag specifically for this hunt. However, I will if need be.

I have done way more hunts on Kodiak with down bags than synthetic. But either will work. If I am backpacking I usually always take down. If based from a base camp then I will take synthetic. Either will be fine so long as your tent doesn't suck.

We are going down first week of August likely and will bring down again cause its more comfy that synthetic.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
I have done way more hunts on Kodiak with down bags than synthetic. But either will work. If I am backpacking I usually always take down. If based from a base camp then I will take synthetic. Either will be fine so long as your tent doesn't suck.

We are going down first week of August likely and will bring down again cause its more comfy that synthetic.
Thanks luke!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk