Floorless Mid Shootout

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I'm particularly curious about is the amount of stretch in each shelter particularly after initial setup and after exposure to water. While this would be difficult to be scientific about it, perhaps marking, measuring, or documenting variance in each shelter would be amazing.

Can you tell I have a gear addiction problem?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That's a great idea. It might be tough to measure but I could give an estimated amount of sag in the fabric after applying a consistent rate and volume of water. I'll put my science cap on and see what I can come up with. But mostly the testing will be real-world based on actual use although there isn't any reason that other tests can't be run.

DaveC

WKR
Great project Josh, I'll be looking forward to your article.

I'd be interested in detail shots of tieouts and how you found each type worked (or in the case of the BD, lack of them). SO, MLD, and Kif all do this a bit different and I'm curious if those differences amount to much in the field.

Wind performance will be a big one. MLD cuts their panels quite differently and (I believe) puts a good bit more cat cut into both side and bottom than either of the other three. Does this have a practical benefit?

Door placement pros and cons.

Vent size and efficacy.

Etc.

Good luck.

WKR
^plus stove placement pros/cons^

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
Yeah, it would interesting to see what you think about stove and door placement, etc.

After using only mids in the backcountry for years because of their versatility and ease in pitching, ability to control condensation, weather resilience, and space-to-weight value, I have pretty definite likes when it comes to the ergonomics/setup of mids, especially when used with 2 or more people and a stove in bad weather. Getting a shelter that can be customized/modified to my wishes is paramount to me. That is part of why i now own a Locus Gear Menkaura Sil with a custom TiGoat stove jack and have previously owned a BPWD Luna 4.

Some of the shelter makers, like for instance Mountain Laurel, are of excellent quality, but I personally was not satisfied with their lack of willingness to accomodate modifications. Being open to customization is an advantage of going with "some" of the smaller cottage shelter builders.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking forward to what you come up with for results. I am in the planning stage of making one and being able to "take" from the different commercial options available and put all the good stuff into one that'll work for me is really appealing. I'm sure I'll find a number of things you share with everyone very useful. Thanks for doing this.

Jeremy

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I had the shelters set up in the yard for seam sealing I snapped some images of the features such as guy out points, pyramid tip, zipper flaps, vents, etc.

Here are some examples of how the various designers have executed the simple guy out on the shelter corners and side walls. At this point I can't say if one is better than the other, but it is something I will be paying attention to during use.

Mountain Laurel Designs Corner Guy Out:
_1030115.jpg
Mountain Laurel Designs Side Wall Guy Out:
_1030116.jpg

Seek Outside Side Wall Guy Out:
_1030117.jpg

Kifaru Side Wall and Corner Guy Out:
_1030118.jpg

Last edited:
So Kifaru's side wall and corner guy outs are the same, that triangular shaped flap? And do you have any pictures of the SO corner guy out?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Kifaru's side wall and corner guy outs are the same, that triangular shaped flap? And do you have any pictures of the SO corner guy out?

Correct on the Kifaru guy out points. They are the same on the walls and corners. The Seek Outside does not have guy out points on the corners. Also the Black Diamond shelter doesn't have any guy out points on the walls or corners; just the standard stake-out points along the perimeter.

Correct on the Kifaru guy out points. They are the same on the walls and corners. The Seek Outside does not have guy out points on the corners.
That is interesting, I didn't realize that SO did not provide guy out points on the corners. One of my biggest concerns with any shelter is its ability to withstand very strong winds, do you think you will have the opportunity to test the shelters in high wind conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet you could get the corner guy-outs on the SO Cimarron as a custom option.

They are a standard option on the Silvertip.

Hm3RlJi.jpg

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is interesting, I didn't realize that SO did not provide guy out points on the corners. One of my biggest concerns with any shelter is its ability to withstand very strong winds, do you think you will have the opportunity to test the shelters in high wind conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a chance I could encounter some windy situations. I'll definitely let you know what kind of conditions these shelters were subjected to when the final write up is complete.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are a few photos of the peaks on these shelters. Like the guy outs, every maker has a slightly different way of executing this part of the tent. Right now I can't say which I prefer, but after some serious use, maybe I can say one has an advantage over the others.

Seek Outside Cimarron peak:
_1030125.jpg

Black Diamond Mega Light peak:
_1030130.jpg

Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid
_1030112.jpg

Kifaru Tut
_1030122.jpg

Last edited:

BigDog00

WKR
I'd like to hear some thoughts on whether our not a giant (i.e. 6'7" on a long wide mat) would fit in any of them...comfortably of course. Its hard to tell without seeing them in person. I was curious about the Tut but after checking it out it will be a No-go.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to hear some thoughts on whether our not a giant (i.e. 6'7" on a long wide mat) would fit in any of them...comfortably of course. Its hard to tell without seeing them in person. I was curious about the Tut but after checking it out it will be a No-go.

Did you get to see a Tut in person? If so, what were the issues for you in regards to size? general head room in the shelter or not long/wide enough?

BigDog00

WKR
Did you get to see a Tut in person? If so, what were the issues for you in regards to size? general head room in the shelter or not long/wide enough?
Yeah I saw it in Kifaru's showroom. I'm looking for something for my wife and our two dogs. It would have probably been doable for just my wife and I. Length would have definitely been an issue though. They didn't have the guy outs pulled out though, so it was a little tough to tell how much more space you'd get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
Yeah I saw it in Kifaru's showroom. I'm looking for something for my wife and our two dogs. It would have probably been doable for just my wife and I. Length would have definitely been an issue though. They didn't have the guy outs pulled out though, so it was a little tough to tell how much more space you'd get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You should check out the Cimarron. I bought one for exactly that purpose and my only complaint is that at times it's too big. Over 11' on the long side should be plenty of room for you even at 6'7".

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are a few more photos of the venting setups of the various shelters. Please note the Kifaru Tut doesn't have a covered vent like the other shelters, instead utilizes the two-way zipper of the door to vent near the peak. I didn't snap any photos of this configuration but will include it in the final review. I will also give a full description and thoughts on each vent in the final shoot-out too. For now here are a few photos for comparison.

Black Diamond Megalight vent.
_1030128.jpg

Seek Outside Cimarron vent.
_1030124.jpg

Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid vent.
_1030113.jpg

Last edited:
At some point Josh (maybe when your all finished with the testing), could you post the weights of each one with its required stakes, guy lines, designated pole and after they have been seam sealed? I think it would be interesting to see what each of them weigh with everything required when taking them into the field.