Floorless Mid Shootout

UtahJimmy

WKR
The link takes me to some trail cam thread about turkeys...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'm getting the same thing...

EDIT: only see this error in Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to put this together. If you had to choose only one, which one would it be?

That's a very tough question! For the kind of hunting I do it'd be a toss up between the MLD Supermid with a stove jack or the SO Cimarron. They both have features that are unique and useful, and are great shelters. As a backpack hunter I would probably gravitate toward the Supermid for the weight savings.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow. I debated whether to go with the seek 4 man tipi or the kifaru sawtooth, and decided paying way more and giving up the sod skirt wasn't worth the extra head and shoulder room. This sure makes me feel even better about my decision. Leaky stove jack and worse than average wet sag from a fabric that's purported to be better than silnylon for the very reason of less stretch!? Kifaru is a great company making some great gear, but they ain't gonna like that review . . . Really appreciate the honesty!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A dishonest review would be a major disservice to the readers of Rokslide. If there is something of importance; good or bad, I will relay that onto the reader.

As for the fabric of the Tut, it may stretch a little more than the other fabrics in the test but re-tensioning the shelter is easy and has to be done with all of the shelters I reviewed. I just noted which had the most. The Tut fabric seems incredibly tough although I didn't have a chance to test tear strength. It kind of reminds me of the fabric used in Hilleberg tents which is really tough stuff.

ljalberta

WKR
Great review. Decided to try floorless this year(Mountainsmith LT) and looking for a mid for next season already (should have tried floorless earlier). Never even had MLD on my radar, but I'm gonna have to check them out. Thanks for the write up.

Read1t48

WKR
I've been looking forward to this for a while. Thanks for a great review and write-up. It's much appreciated.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
Nice review.

Reaffirms why I went & I am happy with my Cimarron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for taking the time to do this review. I'm certain it will help many people. I hadn't thought of the water pooling on the sod skirt, but makes total sense. It was also interesting to hear how the two different style stove jack covers worked with the rain. Thanks again.

Jeremy

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
When I open the link this is what comes up...
e60db921aa74a7c10f2a265a727f9724.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
I am always blown away by the effort that Roksliders will go through just to help out everyone else. I would imagine there are many hours dedicated to these reviews that were unforeseen when started. Thanks to all those for sticking to a plan and putting out these super reviews. You make it so much easier for us to spend our hard earned cash and feel good about it.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
That's a very tough question! For the kind of hunting I do it'd be a toss up between the MLD Supermid with a stove jack or the SO Cimarron. They both have features that are unique and useful, and are great shelters. As a backpack hunter I would probably gravitate toward the Supermid for the weight savings.

Josh,
I don’t see an option for a stove jack on the MLD site. Is that something that needs to be done DIY or an aftermarket shop?

Josh,
I don’t see an option for a stove jack on the MLD site. Is that something that needs to be done DIY or an aftermarket shop?

I'm also seeing the same. I just emailed Mountain Laurel Designs asking them about the option of a stove jack. I'll reply here if\when I hear back.

welpro222

WKR
The velcro stove jacket did concern me on the tut, I notice that while seam sealing it over the weekend. I'll give it a try and see how it works, this season.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh,

It is an option but it isn't on their website yet. I do believe it will cost $60 as an add on. I have not tested or seen the stove jack so I can not speak to it. Give them a call before ordering and they'll get you taken care of.

Last edited:
Yeah just heard from Ron over there. Here is what he had to say:

thats just the review teaser on the forum- they have the newest info - we can do it as a custom order- use custom gear charge under PACKS category for the + $60.

lif

WKR
Great review. Was wondering by chance if there is an overall opinion on the pyramid design vs the teepee design.

Mike7

WKR
Interesting review Josh, thanks. I have to say though, I have no problem getting a good pitch with a pyramid on sloped ground. I do leave my guylines long though to allow for various pitches. All I need is a somewhat flat body sized area to sleep that is somewhere under the pyramid.

John of BearpawWildernessDesigns makes a stove jack that doesn't leak, or will sew on any stove jack that you send him. I have heard that Jimmy of Jimmy Tarps can put a stove jack on any shelter you have also.